Now Playing March 2009

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

511BWAernFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

A little more country than I usually get but I like it.

Nice Replacements cover!

Getting ready to see him with Isbell next month.

Great album... it's a grower too. Very rarely would I like a Replacement's cover. Most bands have no business covering them. He pulls it off in a big way.

Nice Replacements cover!

ha, i think it's just the right amount of country. could maybe use a bit more

ha, i think it's just the right amount of country. could maybe use a bit more

I have nothing against country. I like this style quite a bit. Kind of the older school vs. Alan Jackson or something.

Even without his dad, with a name like Justin Townes Earle, he was pretty much fated to do this kind of music.

Nice Replacements cover!

I actually really dig the album as well, much better than his last, he's certainly coming into his own it seems.

Damn it, i missed it! Was it any good? Is it still streaming somewhere? I'm downloading the album as I type. :dancing

I'm halfway through the album (the rest I've got for the second half of my journey later this afternoon). I have to admit that I'm slightly let down so far. There are some good moments but there's an awful lot of sludgy and proggy pub rock. I get the impression they're playing up to this as there's some great big drum fill crescendos and all in there.

Having said that, I think it might be because the track order on the version I'm listening to is screwed - I've got the Mountain Song coming in as the second track and I think it's supposed to be the Neil Diamond one. And that Mountain Song is the worst pub rock offender, even if it did make me burst out laughing with its opening lines through sheer surprise.

So, do you think they're good albums?

On first listen, yes. Yes I do. Very, very good!

Here's today's selection:

510d72jKWBL._SL500_AA240_.jpgdavid.jpg41BMQS09H4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41ipTRq+4qL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51R0CVKVAHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Beto Villares - Beto Villares

David Ruffin - David

The Beatles - Abbey Road (de-emphasized black triangle remaster)

Harry Nilsson - The Point

The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic

I'm halfway through the album (the rest I've got for the second half of my journey later this afternoon). I have to admit that I'm slightly let down so far. There are some good moments but there's an awful lot of sludgy and proggy pub rock. I get the impression they're playing up to this as there's some great big drum fill crescendos and all in there.

Having said that, I think it might be because the track order on the version I'm listening to is screwed - I've got the Mountain Song coming in as the second track and I think it's supposed to be the Neil Diamond one. And that Mountain Song is the worst pub rock offender, even if it did make me burst out laughing with its opening lines through sheer surprise.

yeah, i've listened up to cardiff in the sun so far. moped eyes, inaugural trams & cardiff in the sun are great - but i'm currently with you about proggy pub rock type thing, but at least it's different. i don't hate it, but i have to say it's not my favourite style of music that they play. also, i think the track listing with Mountain as track 2 is correct - that's how i've seen it listed on a number of cd sites, but maybe they've got it wrong.

yeah, i've listened up to cardiff in the sun so far. moped eyes, inaugural trams & cardiff in the sun are great - but i'm currently with you about proggy pub rock type thing, but at least it's different. i don't hate it, but i have to say it's not my favourite style of music that they play. also, i think the track listing with Mountain as track 2 is correct - that's how i've seen it listed on a number of cd sites, but maybe they've got it wrong.

I'm not going to judge an album I've only heard five tracks of, because two them were really good (Inaugral Trams and the one with the vocoderized vocals), but I get the distinct impression a lot of these tracks were born out of jams? Certainly the opener - the Naked Girls one - sounds ferocious and killer, but, if we're just being honest, it is just one monster riff.... and that's it. You're right, what they're doing is different, for them, but, given their impeccable track record of travelling on the paths less travelled, I was expected a wee bit more from them. It might come... it might come...