The Allman Brothers Band

Just got this email from ticketmaster:

Join us for an evening with GREGG ALLMAN w/ Special Guest JAIMOE'S JASSSZ BAND as he takes the Newport Yachting Center Stage on Sunday, August 10th. Watch as these Rock & Roll Hall of Famers take over the Newport Waterfront with their soulful voices and unmistakable sounds of blues and Southern rock.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Expanded Fillmore East set to be released, to include all four sets from 2 nights. Vinyl, cd and digital download. Not much info, but must be remastered to some degree to release the original unspliced versions of You Don't Love Me. I can never have too much of the Allmans at Fillmore East, so I'll be buying.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121467/Allman-Brothers-Band-The-1971-Fillmore-East-Recordings

• 2 weeks later...

WRP - here is this week's answer to your cancelled show:

In a new interview with Radio.com Gregg Allman revealed that the Allman Brothers Band will play six Beacon shows in October to make up for the four that were cancelled following Allman’s battle with bronchitis. The new dates will take place during an eight-day span, including two sets of weekend shows and a pair of mid-week dates.

However, the band will not play the rumored Madison Square Garden finale. “We decided that’s a bad idea. Of all the big rooms, [MSG’s] got the best sound, but nothing sounds like the Beacon.”

He also reiterated that the Allman Brothers are not breaking up but rather replacing Derek Trucks. On current guitarists Warren Haynes and Trucks, Allman said: “It’s like this: No one is the ‘best.’ They’re all different. One is tiramisu, one is crème brûlée. They’re all just sexually delicious.”

As far as his health, Allman says he is feeling “like a million” despite contracting a virus that coated his lungs with mucus, causing unnecessary stress on the heart. “They got me back to normal now,” Allman said. “They looked at my schedule ‘til the end of the year and they said, ‘No wonder, what are you, trying to kill yourself?’”

Allman also said he’s started to get into juicing, health food and has gone vegan. “It’s not easy, man, to find enough to eat. It takes some getting used to! It ain’t biscuits and gravy.”

He will also release a new live album with his new solo band cut from their show at the Grand Opera House in Macon, GA. Next up for the ABB is a slot at Mountain Jam on June 8.

I think I read somewhere a while back that he had broken a wrist also. The dude seems determined to stay on the road.

Yep - I turned up to see him a couple of weeks ago at the Enmore theatre here in Sydney - and he was a no-show.  Promoter said the broken wrist he sustained a few months ago had flared up and he'd flown back to the US to get treatment.  Govt Mule, who were the support, ended up playing the whole show - but a lot of folks, including me, took the refund that was offered.

Warren is leaving at the end of the year. He's been clear about that.

It must be only in Gregg's mind that he is staying. I say that as he only talks about replacing Derek (or lately, anyhow).

I bet it will be one of those expensive record albums/cds/whatnot packages. Another one of the greatest live albums of all time is also getting the same treatment - Made In Japan.

Made In Japan! Oh man I'll definitely shell out the cash for that.

• 4 weeks later...

The Allman Brothers Band Announce Final Concerts Posted by: Rowland on Monday, June 02, 2014 - 08:00 AM  

GROUP RESCHEDULES FOUR POSTPONED BEACON THEATRE

SHOWS IN NEW YORK CITY OCTOBER 21, 22, 24 & 25

AND ADDS TWO NEW BEACON SHOWS OCTOBER 27 & 28

BAND PERFORMED TWO SHOWS IN APRIL IN FLORIDA

The ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND have announced their final plans: they have rescheduled dates for four shows at New York City’s Beacon Theatre that were postponed in March: Tuesday, 10/21, Wednesday 10/22, Friday, 10/24 and Saturday, 10/25. Tickets purchased for those sold-out shows (originally set for 3/25, 26, 28 & 29) will be honored on these dates for the corresponding days (see itinerary below). Fans unable to attend the rescheduled shows can return tickets for a refund at the point of purchase prior to August 1.

Immediately following the four make-up dates, the ABB have announced the final shows for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame group, which formed in 1969. These final ABB performances will also be at the Beacon Theatre October 27 and 28, a venue the band has played exactly 232 times since their annual tradition began there in 1989. On-sale information for the two newly-added shows will be announced in the near future.

The current lineup of the band--founding members GREGG ALLMAN (vocals and keyboards), BUTCH TRUCKS (drums and tympani) and JAIMOE (drums) plus longtime members WARREN HAYNES (vocals, lead and slide guitar), DEREK TRUCKS (slide and lead guitar), OTEIL BURBRIDGE (bass) and MARC QUINONES (congas and percussion)--is, at 14 years, substantially longer than any other version of the band. The group returned to the stage in April with two shows at their 10th annual Wanee Festival in Live Oak, FL, where they played to an enthusiastic sea of fans each night.

The ABB’s next concert appearance will be as the closing performer at this year’s Mountain Jam this Sunday, June 8 in Hunter, NY. The ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND will close the Lockn’ Festival in Arrington, VA on Sunday, September 7.

Meanwhile, the band is gearing up for two nights of concerts as part of their very own PEACH FESTIVAL, August 14-17 in Northeast Pennsylvania. In its third year, PEACH FEST 2014 will feature artists including the ABB on two nights, Gov’t Mule, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Jaimoe’s Jasssz Band, Bob Weir & Ratdog, Trey Anastasio Band, Lotus, Big Gigantic, the Taj Mahal Trio, Blackberry Smoke, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic, the London Souls and more.

Here is the band’s final itinerary:

DATE: CITY: VENUE: Sun 6/8 Hunter Mountain, NY Mountain Jam Thu-Sun 8/14-17 Scranton, PA Peach Fest Sun 9/7 Arrington, VA Lockn’ Music Fest Tues 10/21 New York, NY Beacon Theatre (tickets for March 25 honored) Weds 10/22 New York, NY Beacon Theatre (tickets for March 26 honored) Fri 10/24 New York, NY Beacon Theatre (tickets for March 28 honored) Sat 10/25 New York, NY Beacon Theatre (tickets for March 29 honored) Mon 10/27 New York, NY Beacon Theatre Tues 10/28 New York, NY Beacon Theatre

Gregg lives in Florida, I believe.  And I think Oteil lives in CT, at least he used to.

I was holding tickets for the Tuesday cancelled shows, now rescheduled to my birthday.  I won't make it down again the following week for one of the "final" final shows, so that will be it for me.  Lockn' first in September and then October 21 at the Beacon.  Been seeing them pretty much regularly since 1973, with the exception of a couple years break after the Zak Wylde fiasco at Great Woods, I will miss seeing the Allman Brothers Band, no matter what else Derek, Warren and Gregg will be doing.      

I have to wonder now what all that BS that Gregg and Butch were putting out there was about. Of course it would not be a surprise to me if they came back with new members at some point in the future.

I have to wonder now what all that BS that Gregg and Butch were putting out there was about. Of course it would not be a surprise to me if they came back with new members at some point in the future.

Nothing would surprise me, but that would surprise me.  I chalk it up to age and the difficulty in facing the inevitable.  I assume they have now come to terms with the inevitable.  Time will tell I guess.