Ever since I visited New Orleans I've been trying to get into some good blues music. I guess the best description I can give of the stuff that's interested me is music that sounds dirty, and unpolished. I put delta blues on pandora and have been digging a lot of that... but could definitely go for some stuff with more brass, toward the jazz spectrum almost. Any ideas?

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown - If you're looking for some blues with horns, check out this Louisiana bluesman's "Alright Again!" disc. Some good stuff there.

If you're looking for more Blues suggestions, here's some favorites of mine:

Little Walter

Sonny Boy Williamson

Blind Willie Johnson

Skip James

Albert Collins

Albert King

Muddy Waters

Howlin' Wolf

Ma Rainey

Bessie Smith

Etta James (sorta soul/blues I suppose)

Gonna add two to GtrPlyr's great list: Huddie Ledbetter ( Leadbelly) and Mississippi John Hurt.

I've recently discovered Blind Willie Johnson myself and am really digging it.

Good additions :thumbup

Blind Willie is great. There's something about his unconventional voice and songs that work for me.

wow, can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet:

robert johnson.

I was just about to.

But, also:

Rev. Gary Davis

I have this amazing collection:

41VESXTC30L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And, if you want some gritty Chicago-style blues:

Magic Sam

This is his masterpiece:

417et9BjaCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The version of "Sweet Home Chicago" that is on here is the one that everybody since has been aping. Pretty much the definitive version.

And, if you want some gritty Chicago-style blues:

Magic Sam

This is his masterpiece:

417et9BjaCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The version of "Sweet Home Chicago" that is on here is the one that everybody since has been aping. Pretty much the definitive version.

Considering this person is asking about brassy/jazzy type blues, this is a good suggestion. I would certianly check out any number of releases on Delmark (the oldest indie label in the country) for newer Chicago style electric blues and then go look at the Alligator catelogue for more Chicago type stuff. There are literally hundreds of great releases from these two labels to choose from. Don't forget the Chess reissues. There are also several good box sets to choose from. Also the blues on Vee Jay are good for older electric stuff post war.

If you want brassy stuff then remember that jazz has a heavy blues component to it and you can find plenty of stuff and then don't forget the jump blues and R&B type artists as well. Maybe go get a couple books on the blues and see what what happened after WWII rather than pre-war stuff. I am partial to pre-war stuff myself (the Charley Patton/Robert Johnson, etc.) but for more modern sounding stuff check out Chess and all the Chess reissues.

Blues is a pretty large category so try some comps and when you find someone delve into their catalogue. There is good electric blues on Vangard too. So while the country/delta blues artists are what many people like, the more urban post war guys weren't too bad either and they have larger numbers of releases due to the advent of the LP and run during a longer period of time (1940 to the present....).

(contact me on PM for a few books if you like.)(sorry this post is so fractured, but I am not supposed go be on here..... :pirate )

One last thing...for country type blues, check out the comps on Yazoo records. They are the best and include many of the figures discussed here and have material from the golden age of recording ( 1920s and 1930s.)

For some reason no one mentioned one of my all time faves....Professor Longhair.....

LouieB

Robery Cray did an album with the memphis horns a long time ago, it's pretty polished though, not sure it's the "dirty" type blues you are looking for. Some live BB King would have horns.

Muddy Waters is good for some really dirty stuff.

Albert Collins, that could work.

I appreciate old country blues, but the only blues that ever held my attention was

Bob Dylan circa 64-66 and the Black Keys.

I know that makes me lame on many levels, but the genre tends to bore me and has been so prostituted by the Claptons of the world. You know, sing a line and play my riff and the whole time act like I'm doing something painful and unbelievable. Kind of tired.

wow, can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet:

robert johnson.

I didn't mention him as I figured Robert is the one guy everyone has heard about: he is to blues what The Beatles are to pop.

There's quite a few other greats that haven't been mentioned yet either.

While all those are nice to work with, perhaps if you started with a compilation and then went through to artists you liked would also work. For something like that I would suggest the Chess records compilations, blues guitar was born and perfected there.

But in terms of guys not mentioned already, I'm surprised Bo Diddley hasn't been mentioned yet. Everyone and their mother has ripped off his beat.

The stuff that's interested me is music that sounds dirty, and unpolished.

I feel like I can contribute one more name (these guys got most of the great ones already)

Son House...

Death Letter Blues... wow.

While all those are nice to work with, perhaps if you started with a compilation and then went through to artists you liked would also work. For something like that I would suggest the Chess records compilations, blues guitar was born and perfected there.

But in terms of guys not mentioned already, I'm surprised Bo Diddley hasn't been mentioned yet. Everyone and their mother has ripped off his beat.

I totally agree about the Chess sets. Actually the Chess blues box set from 1992 has some great old and somewhat more obscure stuff on it.

I suppose if Bo Diddley is a blues artist (I guess he is......then you gotta figure Chuck Berry is too...) how about Fats Domino? Along those lines Muddy's piano players Sunnyland Slim and Otis Spann. And Little Brother Montgomery and Jimmy Yancy are other great piano blues guys. There are a whole raft of boogie woogie and barrelhouse type artists from the 40s.

Not to be forgotten is the greatest of the saloon blues slide players - Hounddog Taylor. You can't get dirtier than that. And also if you like Magic Sam there is Otis Rush and a whole slew of Alligator artists that are great (including Koko Taylor...)

Junior Wells of course and before him Little Walter on harp as well as James Cotton.

LouieB