Surprigingly GOOD concerts?

You know... those shows you were dragged to by someone, or went to on a lark? But then the band wound up blowing you away? Or at least they far surpassed expectations?

Me:

Primal Scream:

I was always kinda lukewarm on them. And, when they showed up 1.5 hours late for a midnight show, I was prepared to just freaking hate them (as was the entire crowd at Metro that night).

But then, they started playing.

By 30 seconds into the first song, every damn person in the club -- including bouncers, sound engineers, and bartenders -- were rocking our ASSES off!!! Amazing show!

Oh, and another one:

The Monks Of Doom:

Consisting of the members of Camper Van Beethoven who did not go on to do Cracker. These guys just came out and rocked so hard, and played to tight that it had to be seen to be believed! I ran out and bought their disc the next day. And was promptly disappointed.'

Still, live, awesome. And a lot of fun!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garage a trois with Charlie Hunter on guitar. We showed up on the wrong night to see Kings of Leon (playing the next night) and since we were already there we went in. It was fantastic.

Spacehog. These guys played Club Soda in Kalamazoo while touring for their second album. They could have played a much larger venue, but I guess they wanted to do some small club dates, and you don't get a whole lot smaller than Club Soda (RIP). I went because I had heard one of their albums a few times and because I had nothing better to do that night.

They destroyed the place. Absolutely blew the doors off. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

My love for Los Lobos started about 10 years ago when I first saw them at the Guinness Flaidh (sp?) at the Arlington Raceway in 1998. I wasn't expecting much - they were the first act we saw that day. They blew me away, and now I catch their act every time I can.

That day was a great day for music - I also saw Wilco for the first time, then later saw Squeeze, X, and Shane Macgowan.

In the mid-80s, I let my then-girlfriend drag me and her little niece and nephew to see Cyndi Lauper. It was much better than expected, and she really played well to the kiddies in the audience, of which there were many. Not sure I'd want to see her now, but ...

My love for Los Lobos started about 10 years ago when I first saw them at the Guinness Flaidh (sp?) at the Arlington Raceway in 1998. I wasn't expecting much - they were the first act we saw that day. They blew me away, and now I catch their act every time I can.

That day was a great day for music - I also saw Wilco for the first time, then later saw Squeeze, X, and Shane Macgowan.

Los Lobos is still the only band I have seen attempt to cover "Tomorrow never knows" and do it justice.

Los Lobos is still the only band I have seen attempt to cover "Tomorrow never knows" and do it justice.

I'm pretty sure they could cover anything and do it MORE than justice. Maybe even "Revolution 9". That's a band I don't listen to nearly enough.

Garage a trois with Charlie Hunter on guitar. We showed up on the wrong night to see Kings of Leon (playing the next night) and since we were already there we went in. It was fantastic.

I'm jealous. That would be a fun show! I'm a big fan of all those guys--particularly love Stanton Moore's drums and would love to see Charlie Hunter live.

My pick would be Ozomatli. They were at the Warped Tour around '98 or so. There are different types of stages--the "big" stages, smaller stages. These guys, I think, were playing in the back of a pickup truck or something. (it was tiny) But they were so so good. Nobody there knew who they were before that day, but they attracted one hell of a crowd. Fun stuff.

Local H back in 7th grade...

Didn't expect much from them, and they were opening up for Silverchair at the time. They blew me away completely.

I've seen them over 50 times since and will never miss a Chicago show.

same here. i love los lobos. saw them open for DMB years ago & just loved it but for some reason never, ever listen to them.

i'm correcting that tonight when i get home.

I must have caught that same tour.... summer 97 I think.

Soundgarden - 1991. I just moved to Charlotte. I had heard the song "Hands all Over" and liked it but someone played Badmotorfinger for me right after it came out and I didn't care for it. They were playing at a small club called the 13-13 arond Thanksgiving. I had no intention of going but my roommates were going and they had a bunch of people over for pre-show festivities. One guy had an extra ticket and after about 90 minutes I was feeling pretty good so I decided "why stay in".

They opened with "Jesus Christ Pose" and I was hooked. It was also the first time I crowd surfed and ventured into a mosh pit. Just a tremendous rock n' roll experience.

By the way, we missed the opening band (Blind Mellon).

I think I told this one elsewhere, but there was a local band down in Columbia, MO -- or at least they played there enough for me to consider them local. I had no real desire to see them, but one Halloween (1989), they opened for fIREHOSE, so I figured that I'd go to the show and check out the local yokels.

It was Uncle Tupelo.

They blew me out the freaking door.

Sorry for repeating that story. I wasn't planning on doing so, but it does fit here, so what the hell?

I'm not sure if this counts as a surprisingly good concert, but I found a surprisingly good jazz guitarist, Mark Whitfield, playing with Cyrus Chestnut. Chestnut was doing an Xmas tour about 7 years ago of mostly Guaraldi Peanuts music. Whitfield was phenomenal. I bought a CD that was underwhelming and he doesn't seem to be doing much noteworthy now.

OK, I'll lose all my cred for saying this, but Bryan Adams was far, far better than I was expecting. I saw him in 1985 (on the Reckless tour) because my high school girlfriend loved him and she desperately wanted to go to the show, so of course I went with her. He played the local hockey stadium, and we were way down front in the general admission crush. His band was really tight, and he was a surprisingly good showman.

His career went straight to hell after that album, in my opinion, but after that show I at least had some newfound respect for him.