Abstainers make your pledge

Rather than wait until this comes out, i think after reading all the negative shit about this album I may never listen to it. I plan to buy it, just not listen to it.... :lol

LouieB

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need new music!!

Dude! I see you have a MySpace link. I use MySpace for two things: to keep in touch with my scattered family; and to keep up to date with my favorite musicians in one convenient place. I swear every time I add a known name, I get requests from unknowns to add them. By doing this I've found new music not only across the states, but also from Europe. Sure you have to deal with the limitations of MySpace, but I try to maximize its potential. I just use it to find music (for free) and from there I can go elsewhere to aquire it. I've still got a big long list of names I want to check out, and I will when time permits. Hell, I might even add "So Called Star."

If anything the time you spend looking for new music will keep you occupied until the end of June, when you can get your new Wilco fix.

You see, this is where I am having a conflict with my "abstaining" issue.

I am going to this Cinci show.

So I think I am going to have to cave and listen to the stream before the show, so I know the new songs before I hear them in Cinci. :) Then I will be able to fully realize how amazing the live performance is, which is one of the many things that I love about Wilco -- the live shows.

I'll just consider it as doing my homework! :music

Not really caving out of weakness. Right? RIGHT? :stunned

You may need a...um...(battery-operated personal device) to pass the time until (the album) comes out.

Seriously, you don't need to know the songs before the show. Hearing new songs live is such a refreshing moment within the concert itself. Last year they played "One Wing" at one of the shows I went to and when I went to one of the Chapel Hill shows in March '06, they played 4 new songs from the "upcoming album," which didn't come out for more than a year afterward. You can't imagine what a fantastic burst of excitement it is when all of the sudden something new is blended in with what you already know. Then again, if you use that (bopd) I suggested, maybe you do know.

Of course, the (cold shower) is always a possibility, too. :cold

You see, this is where I am having a conflict with my "abstaining" issue.

I am going to this Cinci show.

So I think I am going to have to cave and listen to the stream before the show, so I know the new songs before I hear them in Cinci. :) Then I will be able to fully realize how amazing the live performance is, which is one of the many things that I love about Wilco -- the live shows.

I'll just consider it as doing my homework! :music

Not really caving out of weakness. Right? RIGHT? :stunned

I have had a similar mental wrestling match (aka "rationalization session"). And after a few days of avoiding the issue.....

I caved.

bittorrented it this morning .. on the Ipod and a CD for the car... and I plan to listen to it a lot and learn all the songs before Cinci.

So there. Feel free to join. And I'll see ya in Cinci, btw!

Vince

CRAP. I just thought of something. (Hi folks...I'm newish around here but have been listening to the band for years, yadda yadda). Anyway, I'm a holdout (although I did listen to WTS from the stream earlier, paradoxically to cement my resolve...it was so good I decided I had to delay the full experience till I have both the CD and vinyl in hand.) BUT I have tix for Bonnaroo, so I'm gonna hear the whole thing before it hits the street anyway!!

Should I cave? Can't quite decide.

Hell, I might even add "So Called Star."

I caved..

Anywhoo.. By all means, check us out on myspace. I'm always eager to hear what folks think of our music. It looks like we get a lot of hits, but very few comments. We always receive positive feedback out our shows, but I'm eager to hear what folks think of our recorded tunes. :thumbup

CRAP. I just thought of something. (Hi folks...I'm newish around here but have been listening to the band for years, yadda yadda). Anyway, I'm a holdout (although I did listen to WTS from the stream earlier, paradoxically to cement my resolve...it was so good I decided I had to delay the full experience till I have both the CD and vinyl in hand.) BUT I have tix for Bonnaroo, so I'm gonna hear the whole thing before it hits the street anyway!!

Should I cave? Can't quite decide.

See post #104.

I caved..

Anywhoo.. By all means, check us out on myspace. I'm always eager to hear what folks think of our music. It looks like we get a lot of hits, but very few comments. We always receive positive feedback out our shows, but I'm eager to hear what folks think of our recorded tunes. :thumbup

I just did an "Add Request." I'm liking what you're doing, man. I'd come to one of your shows, but one of us lives in the wrong Carolina Greenville ~ probably me. Maybe we'll meet in the middle if you can get a gig at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro.

By the way, you're a total tramp for caving. :D

I just did an "Add Request." I'm liking what you're doing, man. I'd come to one of your shows, but one of us lives in the wrong Carolina Greenville ~ probably me. Maybe we'll meet in the middle if you can get a gig at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro.

By the way, you're a total tramp for caving. :D

Cool man, glad you like. :)

Do you know anyone at Cat's Cradle? Looks like a cool place to gig. We've been wanting to play more in NC, but it's difficult when don't have any "connections" there yet. Let me know, we'd love to play there. :thumbup

And oh yeah.. I suck bad for caving.. But boy was it worth it. :lol

Do you know anyone at Cat's Cradle? Looks like a cool place to gig. We've been wanting to play more in NC, but it's difficult when don't have any "connections" there yet. Let me know, we'd love to play there. :thumbup

Sorry, but I'm about as unconnected as one can get. There is a booking link on their site, though. You might want to try that. Carrboro borders Chapel Hill, and those UNC students have a pretty good music scene; and Cat's Cradle is tops. They get alot of requests from bands, so you might want to submit there and keep playing gigs, building up a reputation, maybe get recommendations from other club owners in different towns. Hope it works out, no matter where you play.

i feel a little dirty. see, this is what happened. i was driving and a new wilco song came on my sirius radio. i would have turned it off, but i didn't feel that it would have been safe to take one of my hands off the steering wheel to change the channel. i was concerned not only about my own safety, but also about the safety of the other drivers around me. it was out of my control, but oh sweet lord, it was good! i plan on maintaining what is left of my purity...

a taste of honey is worse than none at all.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to take a pulse out there to see if anyone is still holding out and just about to lose it with anticipation. I am very proud of myself for waiting it out, the first time I will hear this entire album it will be on vinyl next Tuesday. What's really the bigger reason though is I'll be heading out to Red Rocks show next Friday for the show, and I really wanted to the new material to be fresh in my head, as it also somewhat adds to the anticipation of going to see the show. The month long of waiting has killed me.... what is all this talk about Bull Black Nova? Opinions from other Wilco friends saying there will never be another Yankee or Ghost?? It's all just making the wait until next Tuesday that much more unbearable.... but what's done is done, and it won't be long now until I can get some new Wilco material. Of course I have heard You Never Know, Wilco (the Song), and I'll Fight from the Milwaukee shows and radio... and I guess another new one as they debuting right now on XRT.

Just wanted to take a pulse out there to see if anyone is still holding out and just about to lose it with anticipation. I am very proud of myself for waiting it out, the first time I will hear this entire album it will be on vinyl next Tuesday. What's really the bigger reason though is I'll be heading out to Red Rocks show next Friday for the show, and I really wanted to the new material to be fresh in my head, as it also somewhat adds to the anticipation of going to see the show. The month long of waiting has killed me.... what is all this talk about Bull Black Nova? Opinions from other Wilco friends saying there will never be another Yankee or Ghost?? It's all just making the wait until next Tuesday that much more unbearable.... but what's done is done, and it won't be long now until I can get some new Wilco material. Of course I have heard You Never Know, Wilco (the Song), and I'll Fight from the Milwaukee shows and radio... and I guess another new one as they debuting right now on XRT.

I'm still holding onto my virtue. Sadly, I had a huge distraction with a death in my family.

Musically, however, I kept busy and excited by listening to Lamrod's band's ~ So Called Star ~ new album. Great stuff.