NHL Offseason 2009

No offense (or should I say offence) to the good Doctor, but GO HAWKS!!! As a fan of the Wings, I am not really up for a minimum of two conference finals games with 10:00 pm eastern faceoffs.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see the Bruins return to form tonight.

Once again, Lucic really helped this team; Chara was a beast, and showed why he's up for the Norris; Thomas was perfect when he needed to be.

Kessel might have read this board and decided to turn things around, 2 goals tonight.

First career playoff shutout for Thomas. A decisive 4-0 win over Carolina, and the Bruins are bringing a lot of momentum down South for Tuesday's matchup.

To say that I can hardly wait would be a huge understatement.

Good win by the Bs tonight. That was a passionate ass-whoopin.

Wings seem to be in the driver's seat now. Ducks seem spent. Getzlaf has been invisible, but I think he tweaked his knee.

I'd love to see a Wings/Hawks matchup. If the Hawks hope to advance, they better close it out tomorrow.

I was wondering how long before Hiller would crack.

That was a really impressive game by Boston. I really think they can turn things around.

No offense (or should I say offence) to the good Doctor, but GO HAWKS!!! As a fan of the Wings, I am not really up for a minimum of two conference finals games with 10:00 pm eastern faceoffs.

Tell me about it! I can't stand when games start at 4 or 5 here.

I was wondering how long before Hiller would crack.

That was a really impressive game by Boston. I really think they can turn things around.

Tell me about it! I can't stand when games start at 4 or 5 here.

I really hope Boston ties the series.

I hate Carolina so much, though I do like Maurice.

Scott Walker has been fined $2,500 for his incident with Aaron Ward at 17:13 of last night's third period. Walker will not be suspended for Game 6.

"We are satisfied with the league's ruling," said president and GM Jim Rutherford in a statement. "After our team received several punches throughout the series leading up to Game 5, it was a matter of time before one was going to be thrown back."

I hate life :(

Quite the opposite feeling over here as a Hawks fan, but Luongo just flat out did not show up in game 6. He was very inconsistent over the course of the series, but the defense didn't help him out in last night's game either and he didn't make the saves he had to. On the other hand, it doesn't help his cause that he drops to his knees so early: the Hawks went to town on that last night.

But he's a damn good goalie (possibly a little overrated) and he'll get a better shot for the cup than this year. However, I don't think it'll be with the Canucks. If they're going to focus on re-signing the twins and they're going to spend the money that's being discussed now it's going to be hard to put four real good lines together in Vancouver for a long time as long as there's a salary cap.

Also, that Walker punch was freakin' dirty, but I'm not surprised they didn't suspend him: the league has been horribly inconsistent on things like that. Take, for example, Cammalleri decking Havlat in the face off a faceoff back in the CGY/CHI series and not even getting a 2-minute minor let alone a fine or suspension. I understand past instances have bearing on the current punishment, but it should be the LENGTH of the punishment that is modified, not whether there IS punishment.

Doc, I was shocked when I read the headlines this morning. Sorry for your loss.

At the same time, congrats to the Blackhawks. I'm glad to see the franchise restored, what a turn around.

As for the Bruins. I'm already jittery for tonight. Seeing a team like the Canucks going down in 6 games has me a bit concerned.

But he's a damn good goalie (possibly a little overrated) and he'll get a better shot for the cup than this year.

I don't know if he's overrated. He's certainly one of the best goalies in the NHL, but perhaps he'll have the overrated label until his name is on the Cup...

From the Hockey News:

BIG JOE LUONGO

Is Roberto Luongo the Joe Thornton of the goaltending fraternity?

In other words, is the immensely talented Luongo the goalkeeping equivalent of the San Jose Shark leader who for some inexplicable reason can't raise his game to the next level?

It certainly looks that way after Luongo gave up ill-timed goals in pivotal Game 4, was less than his spectacular self at home in Game 5 and allowed seven goals in Game 6, a must-win game for the Canucks.

Luongo regularly challenged his teammates to raise their game against the Hawks in Round 2, yet he was unable to lead by example. Surely it's not all Luongo's fault as many of Chicago's goals Monday were labelled to the top corners, but fact of the matter is, the usually reliable stopper didn't answer the bell again in the playoffs.

Scott Walker has been fined $2,500 for his incident with Aaron Ward at 17:13 of last night's third period. Walker will not be suspended for Game 6.

"We are satisfied with the league's ruling," said president and GM Jim Rutherford in a statement. "After our team received several punches throughout the series leading up to Game 5, it was a matter of time before one was going to be thrown back."

This is complete bullshit. If Walker had done the same to Cindy or Alex, he would be banned fo sho.

Luongo seemed really on the ball at first, he made some huge saves in the first period. At some point he lost his focus... it didn't help that his defense left him out to dry in the third. What a frustrating, frustrating, frustrating game to watch. The problem with Luongo and all of these "great" goalies like Luo, Turco, and Kipper, is that after any time off it takes them awhile to get back into the game. Luongo at the start of the year got off to a slow start, when he got injured, it took him awhile to get back into it and then after the break from the first round, he just never got back into "the zone".

I have a feeling that Luongo will resign with the Canucks and he'll probably take a hometown discount (as will Henrik and Daniel). You're right, the salary cap does make it hard to do this but I think the Canucks giving Luongo the C shows that they really want him to stay. If he doesn't though, I'm not worried in the slightest. Canucks 2004 first round draft pick Cory Schneider has been called "the best goalie not in the NHL" and won the AHL's goalie of the year. If they do that though, I'd love to see what they could get for Luongo and go in a youth direction.... with Schneider and OHL's player of the year Cody Hodgson that's a pretty good start.

Anyways, I'm so disillusioned with the world at the moment... I'm going to go like.. find God or something. I dunno, it's going to be a long summer.

When you're not busy finding god I hope you stop by the thread. :thumbup There's always next year, feel free to start an Official NHL 2010 thread asap ;)

Oh I love hockey too much to disappear, I am just down-in-the-dumps. It's like I just broke up with my girlfriend x1000.

I have decided to officially hook my bandwagon onto the Boston Bruins since they have former Prince George Cougar Zdeno Chara and BC boys Milan Lucic and Mark Recchi. But Walken, if they don't make it to the Eastern Conference Finals, I'm blaming you. :angry

Now, I'm patiently looking forward to the finals, the draft, and then free agency.

Hopefully Rogers Sportsnet will show some AHL finals, love to see the Moose win the Calder Cup.

sorry doc, i feel yer pain being a B's fan, i can say I know how ya feel for sure.

so ya really think Henrik and Daniel will be back, they didn't show much in this series.

I'd love the dream match up of B's vs Blackhawks, but a long road ahead, like tonight, i'm ready Walken.

we need to get past the first 10 min. without letting any in.

I agree, not sure how Walker got away with that punch, but hey, gives us even more reason to come out flying.

so ya really think Henrik and Daniel will be back, they didn't show much in this series.

Well, they combined for 11 points in 6 games, which is right in line with their regular season average. I vehemently disagree with Canucks fans who want them gone next year, considering it'd be near-impossible to replace their production with any of the FA's out there... especially given the Canucks' track record when it comes to signing free agents. They showed up in the playoffs this year, which is about the only thing they had left to do to prove themselves to me. Hell, I'd give them lifetime contracts if that's what they want.

Anyway, I'm pretty bummed as well, but almost no one in the province could have expected the team to make it even that far when the season began.

Daniel managed two goals last night, I have no issue with how they played in that series, every Canuck had a game or two that they didn't play to their best in. They were point per game in the playoffs, which is what they are in the regular season. I'd do the Detroit way with them and lock them up long time and use the loop hole in the CBA to get a lower cap hit on them.

You know what's really frustrating? How well Sundin played in his final two games.