I noticed Paul is doing a lot of press these days. I'd say it mostly has to do with his book. I was watching a video today where he was talking about being pissed of due to the fact they would not let all the KISS guys be inducted. (OR the ones they wanted anyhow)  And he talked about how other bands got all their past and present members inducted. I can see where he has a point there.

Eric Carr was a great drummer. Of course he is dead - but it would probably be nice for his family if he got in there. I don't know that I am much a fan of the Bruce Kulick era, but he should be in there too.  Mark St. John is the other guy. He passed away also. And Vinnie - who is MIA, apparently.

I guess they are mainly wanting Tommy and Eric Singer to get in.

"All 175 members of the Grateful Dead". Paul, dude...it's like 10, 11 if you count Bruce. And 4 of the 6 keyboard players died. Fucking hippie-hater.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd to see him talking that way. I think it is mainly due to his book coming out that he was out there spouting stuff.

At least it is nice to see - like Rush - another band of the people getting in there.

"All 175 members of the Grateful Dead". Paul, dude...it's like 10, 11 if you count Bruce. And 4 of the 6 keyboard players died. Fucking hippie-hater.

How about Tom Constanten?  That would bring the total to 12.  Kiss has had 10 people in their band, and a lot more than that if you count the people who played on their records. 

Finally got around to reading the Rolling Stone piece. What I'll never get about descriptions of Kiss: in the 70s they wrote a couple dozen incredibly catchy hooks. Their lyrics were drivel but so are the lyrics of about 90% of what gets on the radio (look at the rap that gets airplay). Some of the music is tonally lackluster and/or recorded poorly, but still--they wrote all those great hooks and riffs. So why are they constantly pigeonholed as just being about the flash and sideshow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the music is tonally lackluster and/or recorded poorly, but still--they wrote all those great hooks and riffs. So why are they constantly pigeonholed as just being about the flash and sideshow?

Part of it is the fact that, as you said, some of the music was recorded pretty poorly. But also, Ace Frehley is probably the only member who was above average in terms of musical ability. I feel like Paul, Gene, and especially Peter, always had pretty major limitations when it comes to actually playing music. It's quite possible that a highly talented Kiss cover band could play those songs better than the originals.

The other factor is that their lyrics weren't just drivel, they were almost entirely phallocentric, to use a $10,000 word. I mean, Zappa did a lot of that stuff, too, but it was meant to be funny. Kiss was/is apparently serious with lyrics like "You pulled the trigger of my love gun," "Baby wants a blast, she wants a rocket ride," and most alarmingly, "She says stop, baby, go, go, go!" In the 70s, that stuff sounded cool to every 13-year-old boy. Today, it sounds like it's from the Mesozoic era.

Combine those factors, and it's easy to see why people just dismiss them as all style and no substance. There are actually some very subtle underlying reasons, in my opinion. You're right though: they wrote some catchy tunes.

It's quite possible that a highly talented Kiss cover band could play those songs better than the originals.

I kind of wonder as Gene and Paul continue to age if they've thought about retiring, but replacing themselves with younger versions.  The makeup is already beginning to look ridiculous on their aging faces and it's clear they cannot move around the stage in those boots the way the used to.  KISS w/o any of the original members wouldn't sell nearly as well.  But making a tribute band the "official" version of KISS could add some cache that Gene and Paul could profit from and that's what it's all about for those guys.

i think that even Lenny Kravitz would be embarrassed to have authored these:

"Love Gun"

I really love you baby
I love what you've got
Let's get together, we can
Get hot
No more tomorrow, baby
Time is today
Girl, I can make you feel
Okay

No place for hidin' baby
No place to run
You pull the trigger of my
Love gun, (love gun), love gun

You can't forget me baby
Don't try to lie
You'll never leave me, mama
So don't try
I'll be a gambler, baby
Lay down the bet
We get together, mama
You'll sweat

No place for hidin' baby
No place to run
You pull the trigger of my
Love gun, love gun

Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love gun)
Love gun, (love)

Heard Paul Stanley yakking on the local radio this morning (promoting a book that he's coming in to town to promote). According to Paul, he's "breaking records" at his book signings. It's apparently a book about a young man's struggles and overcoming adversity to become successful and written to help convey that the Common Man really isn't that much different than the people he/she looks up to.

I smell a Pulitzer.

According to Paul, he's "breaking records" at his book signings.

Maybe he means he's breaking the record set for attendance at his art gallery appearances where you have to pay hundreds of dollars just to get in.