I was mentioning to Aman the other day that there was a very nice doc on the band on VH1 Classic this week - Extreme Close Up KISS. Lots of clips from the classic period on there. Those dudes rocked like a motherf#%*er back then.

KISS was my first show (Aug. '76). I am so glad I got to see the band at the peak of their powers.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KISS was my first show (Aug. '76). I am so glad I got to see the band at the peak of their powers.

Mine too, though in '78. I was just a wee lad, and really should have had earplugs, but who knew?

A lot of their appeal was visual, and went right to the heart of a teen or pre-teen boy: Gene breathed fire! Gene spat blood! Ace's smokin' guitar! Paul broke a guitar! :lol But for someone just getting into the hard rock world, their songs were a lot of fun. I'm glad I got to see them back then, too ... twice, actually.

Loved these guys when I was a kid. A friend went to see them in '79 in Des Moines. A very random memory: We just commemorated the 30th anniversary of Pope John Paul II's visit here. I looked it up, because the timing seemed very close. KISS was here 2 days after the Pope.

I posted this elsewhere, but I decided to move it here:

Next week's Billboard 200 chart will either house a first-ever No. 1 album from iconic band Kiss, or pop singer Michael Buble may crash the group's rockin' party with his new set, "Crazy Love."

Industry sources suggest that Kiss' new Wal-Mart exclusive album, "Sonic Boom," may shift somewhere between 160,000 and 180,000 copies in its first week. If the set sells that much, it will also mark the group's best sales week since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991.

Up against Kiss is Buble, who is releasing his new album on Oct. 9 to capitalize on his appearance that day on the "Oprah Winfrey Show." Buble's last set -- 2007's "Call Me Irresponsible" -- debuted at No. 2 (with 212,000 copies) before moving to No. 1 the following week.

It's hard to believe that Kiss has never reached the top in its long career. All told, the act has notched seven top 10 albums. Its highest charting set is 1998's "Psycho-Circus," which debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 110,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The group's other high-charting sets include 1975's "Alive!" (No. 9), 1977's "Love Gun" (No. 4) and 1992's "Revenge" (No. 6).

I have absolutely nothing to say about Kiss, but to tell Aman to go back to bed and this way I have responded to all the threads in the top part of this section...

Now I am going back to bed.

LouieB

Can anyone else think of a band that is so frequently referenced in song by other bands? I'm thinking of Cheap Trick, Weezer and of course Wilco all referencing KISS by name in song. That's pretty cool, but none of those nods is as cool as the DBT's love for ACDC in their "Let There Be Rock."

• 1 month later...

Things I learned reading the Gene Simmons article in the new MOJO:

1. Gene and Paul are planning to release the original "Wicked Lester" album.

2. Gene once wrote a song with Bob Dylan called "Waiting for the morning light".

3. Gene once wrote a song with Lou Reed called "A world without heroes".

4. According to Gene, Kiss was the inspiration for Dylan's white makeup during the Rolling Thunder Review, apparently he dated Bob's Violin Player.

Things I learned reading the Gene Simmons article in the new MOJO:

1. Gene and Paul are planning to release the original "Wicked Lester" album.

2. Gene once wrote a song with Bob Dylan called "Waiting for the morning light".

3. Gene once wrote a song with Lou Reed called "A world without heroes".

4. According to Gene, Kiss was the inspiration for Dylan's white makeup during the Rolling Thunder Review, apparently he dated Bob's Violin Player.

I don't think number 4 is quite true, but the rest are true. I think Lou came up with the title (the song is on Music From The Elder).

Bob calls him "Mr. Kiss".

I don't think number 4 is quite true, but the rest are true. I think Lou came up with the title (the song is on Music From The Elder).

Bob calls him "Mr. Kiss".

Yeah, I wondered about #4 myself but Gene seemed pretty convinced and said "Ask Bob". I did not get the impression he was joking but who knows.

Yeah, I wondered about #4 myself but Gene seemed pretty convinced and said "Ask Bob". I did not get the impression he was joking but who knows.

I've read various things - such as, Scarlet Rivera got him to do for the heck of it, he did it so people could see him better from far back in the crowd, and it was something they did at a Halloween show, and did it off and on after that.

Although, there are things out there like this:

Directory of Bob Dylan’s Unreleased Songs: L

Song co-written with Gene Simmons of Kiss, who said when interviewed in 1996: "Bob Dylan and I wrote a tune together, which has yet to come out, which we have yet to completely finish, although it's been demoed already. I wrote a lyric for it called LAUGHING WHEN YOU WANT TO CRY.

But certainly when I sat in the same room with him in my guest house, 'cause he came to my house to write this tune, you're aware of people that have been here before you, who have made their mark while I was still in diapers. This is the king of lyrics. For me to sit in the same room and be treated as an equal is the highest honor. Then to find out one of the girls in his band, Scarlet Rivera, who I used to see for awhile, she knew nothing about the band when we first started out. I told her we wear makeup and she went back and told Bob and for a while he started wearing whiteface. KISS! Been there, done it, bought the T-shirt."

So maybe there is some truth to what he is saying.

Huge fan here as is evident in my numerous posts in this and other threads defending the band. I was just wondering for those other long-time fans on here what was the last song that KISS released that you were really into? It took me awhile to figure that out, and though not so great in comparison to '74-'77, I quite liked "Hide Your Heart" at the time it was released in '89. Actually that reminds me that the day "Hot In The Shade" came out was the day of the San Francisco Bay area earthquake, and also game one of the world series between the Giants and A's. Funny what you remember from youth.

Huge fan here as is evident in my numerous posts in this and other threads defending the band. I was just wondering for those other long-time fans on here what was the last song that KISS released that you were really into? It took me awhile to figure that out, and though not so great in comparison to '74-'77, I quite liked "Hide Your Heart" at the time it was released in '89. Actually that reminds me that the day "Hot In The Shade" came out was the day of the San Francisco Bay area earthquake, and also game one of the world series between the Giants and A's. Funny what you remember from youth.

Although I have pretty much heard all of them (except the new one), Asylum was the last one I bought.

Although I have pretty much heard all of them (except the new one), Asylum was the last one I bought.

Remember that horrific video (and song) UH All Night? That was a true low point.

I love this band! My brother introduced me to their music growing up and I never lost my attachment. As far as fun, solid rock n' roll goes - lyrics be damned, via Chuch Berry or any early rockers (it's about the feeling, man!) - KISS had it going in the '70s like no other. There was punk,there was dinosaur rock, and there was KISS. Of the three I prefer KISS!

Alive, Destroyer, and Love Gun are iconic albums. The studio side of Alive II is underrated...but I don't dig much of their stuff after the classic lineup. Maybe I should brush up on it though.