I can't be the only one who thinks

See, now THAT is apples and oranges. I think it's pretty clear that he's battled his own demons and bad luck since leaving Wilco. He's tremendously talented, without a doubt, and has a strong track record as a collaborator.

That being said, it's hard to forge a successful solo career when you sing like Cookie Monster.

You hit Bennett on the head there. Great in collaboration but anything on his own has been pretty poor to my ears anyway. I think he was a great foil to Jeff when he was in the band but I think Jeff has outgrown needing a Bennett/Farrar-type sounding board. If you take Nels away from Wilco however he is producing great work on his own, something that Bennett has never been able to achieve.

It's funny. After watching Jeff play "ALTWYS" on Ashes of American Flags, and after watching Ashes of American Flags, I realized I'd hit my Nels Cline saturation point.

I have to say that during the Wilco shows I've been to, Nels has drawn quite a lot of attention (too much for some people). Watching the DVD reminded me why: there can be few guitarists around today who commit so physically to their performance. He really is wrenching every last shred of emotion from his instrument and his improvization within solos, when it comes off, is spine-chilling. IMO, this has enhanced Wilco's live reputation over the last couple of years.

Also clear to me from the DVD is that Nels and Jeff really combine well as guitarists, in completely different styles. Now that is a special recipe in a rock and roll band, which is what Jeff has no qualms in describing Wilco as - nothing more, nothing less.

There is some truth in the view that Nels was deployed as something of a "show pony" on SBS, but I don't think that can be said of his playing on the new record. The contributions which are most obviously his, are some of the most beautiful and interesting IMO.

Guest Speed Racer
If you take Nels away from Wilco however he is producing great work on his own, something that Bennett has never been able to achieve.

I don't think that's a knock against Jay though. As a strong second banana myself, I only hope to make other people half as successful as he has made other people through his own body of work.

I don't think that's a knock against Jay though. As a strong second banana myself, I only hope to make other people half as successful as he has made other people through his own body of work.

Yea, didn't mean it as a knock. Fingers crossed he'll come out with something I can genuinely get excited about. He was involved in a number of my favourite albums after all.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading a story a couple of months ago that said Wilco recorded most of the new album in Australia without Nels. They were there collaborating on another project and really felt the need to record some stuff they had worked up, apparently, and Nels was just going to be overdubbed. I'm just about to head out, so I'm a little pressed for time or I'd look it up myself, but I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else remembers that. I'll look it up a little later when I have a chance.

That was 7 Worlds Collide Vol II project (to be released later this year to benefit Oxfam), led by Neil Finn (Crowded House, Split Enz). Wilco recorded alot of this album at Roundhead Studios in Auckland in early January. Nels and Mikael weren't there.

http://www.oxfam.org.nz/index.asp?s1=what+...+Worlds+Collide

I said this in earlier posts well buried by now, but I think W(TA) album has the New Zealand experience with Finn threaded through many of the songs. I've been a fan of his for years, so to me this is a nice thing. However, there is no doubt that Neil has 'pop' leanings, so if that ain't your thing, you'll be dissapointed.

The other person in my household also has been listening to Neil for years, and when she heard W(TA), she immediately commented on how it sounded like a Neil Finn album. I can hear one of Neil's guitars at the end of You and I at about 3 minutes in, and other places in this album. I think they either borrowed some of Neil's guitars, which is kind of a no brainer, since they were in his studio and we all know how Jeff loves to use lots of different guitars, or he played with them. I'll Fight sounds like early Split Enz, in a fashion.

That was 7 Worlds Collide Vol II project (to be released later this year to benefit Oxfam), led by Neil Finn (Crowded House, Split Enz). Wilco recorded alot of this album at Roundhead Studios in Auckland in early January. Nels and Mikael weren't there.

http://www.oxfam.org.nz/index.asp?s1=what+...+Worlds+Collide

I said this in earlier posts well buried by now, but I think W(TA) album has the New Zealand experience with Finn threaded through many of the songs. I've been a fan of his for years, so to me this is a nice thing. However, there is no doubt that Neil has 'pop' leanings, so if that ain't your thing, you'll be dissapointed.

The other person in my household also has been listening to Neil for years, and when she heard W(TA), she immediately commented on how it sounded like a Neil Finn album. I can hear one of Neil's guitars at the end of You and I at about 3 minutes in, and other places in this album. I think they either borrowed some of Neil's guitars, which is kind of a no brainer, since they were in his studio and we all know how Jeff loves to use lots of different guitars, or he played with them. I'll Fight sounds like early Split Enz, in a fashion.

I have seen you post this comparison a few times but sadly I'm not that familiar with Neil Finn's work in either Crowded House or Split Enz where's a good starting point with him?

Has Nels ruined Wilco? Well if guitar work like this is ruining them:

, then sure he's terrible :rolleyes.

--Mike

Reality: None of the former band members are coming back, not even as part of a lawsuit settlement.

I take it those of who don't like Nels just don't care for his sound, the way I can't take too much of the jingly-jangly guitar.

Okay, that's fine. Without Nels or Bennett, whom do you wish to be lead? A current member? A new guy?

And don't say Jim O'Rourke or Andrew Bird. They've got their own gigs and they ain't givin' them up to accompany Tweedy full-time.

> I'm not that familiar with Neil Finn's work in either Crowded House or Split Enz

probably start with the greatest hits. or with albums, Woodface is my fave from crowded house. True colours or Conflicting emtions are the best from split enz. the latter sounds more like crowded house

Chiming in to say I dislike Nels. He's never done anything that interested me all that much. I like it better when Jeff plays lead.

Jim O'Rourke and Jeff Tweedy need to be shackled together. Wilco can afford to lose like half of its members. Hell, just do another Loose Fur album or something.

> I'm not that familiar with Neil Finn's work in either Crowded House or Split Enz

probably start with the greatest hits. or with albums, Woodface is my fave from crowded house. True colours or Conflicting emtions are the best from split enz. the latter sounds more like crowded house

If you want the most out there in terms of guitar/vocals that Tweedy would latch onto,I'd say Temple of Low Men- Crowded House, is the place to start. Agree that True Colors is a great intro to Split Enz.

i wonder if Nels loses any sleep over these threads?

I doubt it. He is making good money, having a ball playing in a big time rock band, and I am sure his solo work has never sold better than it does now. He has it all.

LouieB

I doubt it. He is making good money, having a ball playing in a big time rock band, and I am sure his solo work has never sold better than it does now. He has it all.

LouieB

Yep, he gets to have his cake and eat it to. I could see he was having a blast when I saw him with the Singers in Asheville, even though there was only about 30 people there. He made a comment how this was definitely the most intimate show he'd played in a while, but was very thankful for the folks that did show up. :)

Hope he comes back this year.

Nels Cline has ruined Wilco. Why don't they just get Santana to join? Why all the flash? Play from the heart not the head. Jay was a much better creative partner.

Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel and Ghost are my favorites. No wank.

The new album is enjoyable but you can hear Nels suck the life out of it. Much different vibe and not in a good way.

I will listen some more. I am trying to dig it but it is trying to break my heart.

suck it; he rulz

I can't be the only one who thinks these threads are getting really old :yawn

These threads are like a kick in the cods...

Nels was born to be in Wilco...I can't think of another guitar player that fits their style anymore....my interest in this band jumped bigtime again when he joined.

Gotta agree, all the evidence points in that vein. Besides, he inspires Jeff and the other band members. If it reaches the point where Jeff needed a Sarah McLachlan in the band to keep things going, then I might reconsider. But Nels is an amazing musician and a class act all the way. He blends in superbly and adds a lot wherever he can. Both John and Jeff have called this phase "an embarassment of riches". Someday everyone will realize how great we have it right now...and no one will admit to all the whining and bitching.

what always amuses me is that people somehow think that because Nels joined they stopped being an alt-country band or something...If anything he's brought that aspect back a little with his slide playing. Tweedy was taking the band in that direction no matter what....Nels just came along at the perfect time and this band clicked.