"Wilco Is Dave Matthews Band

The Hootie comparison was in a thread called "Post inane comments about the new Wilco album" - I'm not sure, but I think that makes it a joke.

:blush. As evidenced by my new status, I am a hardly an expert at keeping track of who posted what where, but yeah that was in the inane comment thread, and if it was a joke it worked. My bad.

--Mike

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alan

It's funny, because DMB isn't really a "jam band" either. There is only one good jam band right now and that is Phish. And The Grateful Dead before them.

although wilco IS much closer to Hootie than DMB.

I would consider myself a young(ish) professional, though more of the (somewhat) reformed hippie with kids to feed type than of the suit-wearing ilk, and having been to the recent Knoxville show, I would have to say that the chatters were more hipsters that otherwise. Maybe I don't know what a young preffesional is. Does that just mean that you are employed? If anything, I think my impressions of a yuppie and a hipster now-a-days are very similar. Conspicuous Blackberry, striped shirt, hair prodicts, etc...

May I also take this opportunity to start a sit vs. stand debate? I couldn't agree more with the idea of paying attention to the band during a concert and being respectful to thase who have spent their hard earned money to HEAR the music. That being said, couldn't we all concentrate better on the performance by actually SEEING the band without constantly jockeying to and fro to catch the occasional glimpse around the fist-pumping loudmouth in front of us? Inded, might a seated, eyes forward audience be more conducive to artistry and it's appreciation than douchery and it's ruination.

I'm just sayin'.

I wish Wilco would only play at places without seats, then it wouldn't really matter. I prefer to sit at more laid back acoustic shows, but rock shows I would rather stand. Do you really want to sit during a song like I'm A Wheel or Kicking Television? It seems funny and out of place. Also, think about the band. This isn't merely a financial transaction. Most bands prefer you to stand (I've been at many shows, including Wilco, where the band has to ask the people to stand). And do you really think standing is douchery? Really?

I think this author is an idiot.. you can't compare Dave Matthews Band to Wilco. It just doesn't work... the only way they are similar is that the both endorsed Obama this year...

I'm a fan of both bands and have seen both bands live, and the bands draw different crowds but, annoying "douchie" fans are in every concert venue.. the only thing you can do is just ignore them and try and enjoy the music.

also, what's with all the dmb hate everywhere? if you dont like the band, just dont pay attention to them...

overall, the author is dumb, and has a very limited view on music in general.. and how can he comment on fans at a wilco concert if he's only seen clips from different venues on a dvd? hes a dipshit really..

I am OK with people standing, but I wish they would not chatter so much. Show some fucking respect.

If your referring to me (the OP), you might want to hold your horses a bit. I never made that comparison, in fact I don't see the comparison at all. I think the author of the article is a bit foolish. I just thought it was worth posting since it references Wilco

I think you should read his post a little more closely, unless you are not a board member.

May I also take this opportunity to start a sit vs. stand debate? I couldn't agree more with the idea of paying attention to the band during a concert and being respectful to thase who have spent their hard earned money to HEAR the music. That being said, couldn't we all concentrate better on the performance by actually SEEING the band without constantly jockeying to and fro to catch the occasional glimpse around the fist-pumping loudmouth in front of us? Inded, might a seated, eyes forward audience be more conducive to artistry and it's appreciation than douchery and it's ruination.

I'm just sayin'.

Good god man, going to a show and seeing and hearing without endless waiting around on your feet and then dealing with assholes talking, pushing up front, tall people in front of you, etc. etc. etc. etc?? What fun would that be??????????????????? Besides bands don't need respect anyway; they already have our money...!!!!

LouieB

Well I learned one thing from this article: I am a hipster (just 10 years too late). That probably just makes me really lame.

Although I don't see the DMB link musically (Wilco is not a jam band by any stretch) I do see a similarity in the marketing in terms of the never ending tour and fear that the album making becomes secondary (or just a reason for more touring). But in the end, the songs are the difference and DMB has two songs while I love every Wilco song (because I'm a hipster fan boy)

I do see a similarity in the marketing in terms of the never ending tour and fear that the album making becomes secondary (or just a reason for more touring).

I don't really see how this makes them similar to DMB. Touring is how musicians make their living. The fact that both DMB and Wilco tour a lot just means they're both working bands who can draw crowds. That doesn't mean they're similar in any other respect.

As for album making becoming secondary ... I can see some truth to that, but only subjectively. Many of us here haven't been blown away by recent Wilco albums, so it may only be natural to equate that perceived decline in album quality with a shift in priorities on the part of the band. That doesn't mean such a shift has actually happened.

Precedent suggests that the songs from the new album will evolve considerably after they've been played live for a while (as some of them did between their first live performances and their recording for the album). Whatever one's opinion of Wilco (The Album), a few of those songs will become concert favorites before long, and may no longer bear much resemblance to their album versions.

I don't really see how this makes them similar to DMB. Touring is how musicians make their living. The fact that both DMB and Wilco tour a lot just means they're both working bands who can draw crowds. That doesn't mean they're similar in any other respect.

As for album making becoming secondary ... I can see some truth to that, but only subjectively. Many of us here haven't been blown away by recent Wilco albums, so it may only be natural to equate that perceived decline in album quality with a shift in priorities on the part of the band. That doesn't mean such a shift has actually happened.

Precedent suggests that the songs from the new album will evolve considerably after they've been played live for a while (as some of them did between their first live performances and their recording for the album). Whatever one's opinion of Wilco (The Album), a few of those songs will become concert favorites before long, and may no longer bear much resemblance to their album versions.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love SBS and WTA, but I guess it is what you are talking about. The songs are recorded to become live vehicles where in the past ST YHF was that even taken into consideration? Of course we don't know, but it is the vibe I get. Anyway, any comparison to DMB is of course going to fall short, so I get where you are coming from.

Horribly written article except for one point...Wilco fans are indeed the same as Dave Matthews fans...This is not a knock on the posters here...You guys probably only make up 1/10 of a Wilco show today... But for anyone that saw Wilco, say pre 1999, you cant tell me that the culture hasn't changed....For the worse.

My hunch is that after the album sells a million copies, Jeff is going to come out and yell "SUCKERS." "I cant believe you actually bought that album! Its complete crap...Noboby got the joke.,..Did the title of the album not paint the picture for you...How about that first song...The camel on the cover...No one got that inneuendo...Camel...Stinks?...No One!"

Horribly written article except for one point...Wilco fans are indeed the same as Dave Matthews fans...This is not a knock on the posters here...You guys probably only make up 1/10 of a Wilco show today... But for anyone that saw Wilco, say pre 1999, you cant tell me that the culture hasn't changed....For the worse.

My hunch is that after the album sells a million copies, Jeff is going to come out and yell "SUCKERS." "I cant believe you actually bought that album! Its complete crap...Noboby got the joke.,..Did the title of the album not paint the picture for you...How about that first song...The camel on the cover...No one got that inneuendo...Camel...Stinks?...No One!"

I'm not sure Jeff Tweedy is like Johnny Rotten or whomever doesn't give a shit anymore. Jeff puts his energies doing stuff he wants to do, not doing stuff just to piss everyone off or to "show the man up." For most people, songwriting is a deeply personal thing and to think it otherwise (especially for someone like Jeff Tweedy) is really doing them a great disservice.

Well, both bands do have a single called "You Never Know" but I'd like to think thats where the coincidences end. :thumbup I was a die-hard dMB fan in my life, seen them well over 100 times and now have progressed to Wilco as my favorite band in the past several years. Neither band is a "jam band" so I'm not sure how much weight the atricle holds anyways, but I consider both more of a structured and segue-timing band. All of the solos for both bands are already planned, its more of full band timing and feeding off one another in a live setting. Both DMB and Wilco do a phenomenonal job of timing their "break-downs" or mini solos and both can be commended on being on top of their game on stage. DMB and Wilco both have amazing stage presence in their own rights, and are to be considered among the best live acts in music. Wheter or not that deserves comparsions within the band's personalities may be a stretch, but it's not completely an over-exaggeration either.

It's funny, because DMB isn't really a "jam band" either. There is only one good jam band right now and that is Phish. And The Grateful Dead before them.

although wilco IS much closer to Hootie than DMB.

sorry but dmb is most definitely a jam band. no doubt about that.

Guest Alan
sorry but dmb is most definitely a jam band. no doubt about that.

nope. taking extended solos =/= jamming. every DMB song is predictable. They all take their solos at the same time and the song structures almost never change. Listen to a phish jam, they all leave the song and go somewhere else. their stuff can be different each night, especially in their prime. you never knew what song would go into what other song, and then they might come back to the original song, or finish it the next night.

I saw both bands for the first time at the HORDE festival back in 1995. God, the World Music Theatre was a shitty venue.

Yes it was. I went there one time. That was enough.