"Wilco Is Dave Matthews Band

Guest Hollinger.

As probably the only admitted DMB fan on the board, I don't think I could call them a jam band. Do they add solos to their songs that aren't on the album? Yeah. But the solos are the same every night. There isn't any improvisation to them. Which is similar to Wilco. The freakouts in Via Chicago looks like chaos, but it is clearly controlled chaos.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I also take this opportunity to start a sit vs. stand debate? I couldn't agree more with the idea of paying attention to the band during a concert and being respectful to thase who have spent their hard earned money to HEAR the music. That being said, couldn't we all concentrate better on the performance by actually SEEING the band without constantly jockeying to and fro to catch the occasional glimpse around the fist-pumping loudmouth in front of us? Inded, might a seated, eyes forward audience be more conducive to artistry and it's appreciation than douchery and it's ruination.

I'm just sayin'.

Dude, its a rock n roll show not a chamber concert. When the missus and I drag our old bones out of the house we like to whoop it up. Not in a rude or (really) obnoxious way, but I'm sure the band appreciates the enthusiasm at least a little more than sitting and golf clapping.

Horribly written article except for one point...Wilco fans are indeed the same as Dave Matthews fans...This is not a knock on the posters here...You guys probably only make up 1/10 of a Wilco show today... But for anyone that saw Wilco, say pre 1999, you cant tell me that the culture hasn't changed....For the worse.

My hunch is that after the album sells a million copies, Jeff is going to come out and yell "SUCKERS." "I cant believe you actually bought that album! Its complete crap...Noboby got the joke.,..Did the title of the album not paint the picture for you...How about that first song...The camel on the cover...No one got that inneuendo...Camel...Stinks?...No One!"

Post of the day! :thumbup

Glenn most definitely has chimes.

If you can prove that, then I guess DMB is a two octave set of crotales away from being Wilco.

This whole thread should be merged with the inane comments thread.

If you can prove that, then I guess DMB is a two octave set of crotales away from being Wilco.

This whole thread should be merged with the inane comments thread.

I learned something, I had no idea those things were called "crotales". Not even sure how to pronounce it.

Dave Mathews did a very nice job on the House rerun I watched last night. Other than that, no comment.

Dave Mathews is not unlike Kenny G with vocals.

Wilco is nothing like Kenny G, with or without vocals.

Therefore, Wilco is nothing like Dave Mathews (who, by the way, sucks.)

I would consider myself a young(ish) professional, though more of the (somewhat) reformed hippie with kids to feed type than of the suit-wearing ilk, and having been to the recent Knoxville show, I would have to say that the chatters were more hipsters that otherwise. Maybe I don't know what a young preffesional is. Does that just mean that you are employed? If anything, I think my impressions of a yuppie and a hipster now-a-days are very similar. Conspicuous Blackberry, striped shirt, hair prodicts, etc...

May I also take this opportunity to start a sit vs. stand debate? I couldn't agree more with the idea of paying attention to the band during a concert and being respectful to thase who have spent their hard earned money to HEAR the music. That being said, couldn't we all concentrate better on the performance by actually SEEING the band without constantly jockeying to and fro to catch the occasional glimpse around the fist-pumping loudmouth in front of us? Inded, might a seated, eyes forward audience be more conducive to artistry and it's appreciation than douchery and it's ruination.

I'm just sayin'.

Who sits at a show???

Dave Mathews is not unlike Kenny G with vocals.

Wilco is nothing like Kenny G, with or without vocals.

Therefore, Wilco is nothing like Dave Mathews (who, by the way, sucks.)

In your equation, is Kenny G a jam band?

Yes, considering his music (to the best of my knowledge) is pretty much free of vocals, I do believe that Kenny G is a jam band
I wish Wilco would only play at places without seats, then it wouldn't really matter. I prefer to sit at more laid back acoustic shows, but rock shows I would rather stand. Do you really want to sit during a song like I'm A Wheel or Kicking Television? It seems funny and out of place. Also, think about the band. This isn't merely a financial transaction. Most bands prefer you to stand (I've been at many shows, including Wilco, where the band has to ask the people to stand). And do you really think standing is douchery? Really?

Standing unto itself is in not necesarrily douchery, but if there is a douche at a concert, he is standing (and he is fist-pumping, and he is talking, and it's all for him). If a douche sits attentively at a concert and goes completely unnoticed, is he really a douche?

Dude, its a rock n roll show not a chamber concert. When the missus and I drag our old bones out of the house we like to whoop it up. Not in a rude or (really) obnoxious way, but I'm sure the band appreciates the enthusiasm at least a little more than sitting and golf clapping.

Uncanny. How do you know I play golf, are you watching me? Do I need to scan my computer? Fuck.

I'm just sayin'.

I have seen Wilco about ten times and none of the venues had seating. Are you talking about sitting on the floor?

I have seen Wilco about ten times and none of the venues had seating. Are you talking about sitting on the floor?

Really? Every Wilco show I've been to, except for one, was all assigned seats.

I'd probaly sit if I was on the front row of the balcony, but otherwise I stand.

I never really got/get too concerned with seeing the band (when inside a venue) as much as I do hearing them crisp and loud. I also can't stand being confined to a seat for a concert unless it's orchestral/someone solo acoustic/similar. Basically, if someone is blocking my "view" I'll go somewhere else if I want to watch. Love GA shows for this reason and the ability to find the sweet spots of sound, which can often be in areas where it's not packed with people on top of each other in order to get the better view.

I wish Wilco would only play at places without seats, then it wouldn't really matter.

At places without seats, you have to deal several kinds of douchebaggery that seats mostly prevent. Give me a seat every time, even if I end up standing in front of it the whole night.

Wilco are playing a general admission, no-seats-except-the-balcony show not far from here this summer, and I haven't bought tickets yet -- that's how much I hate general admission shows.

Small clubs are an exception, but Wilco don't play those anymore.

Guest Alan

At the Tweedy show in Ann Arbor back in 05, the entire venue sat except for the first couple of rows of douchebags. you're in the first row, why do you need to stand??? I also heard that all those douchebags post here so there ya go.

Well, both bands do have a single called "You Never Know" but I'd like to think thats where the coincidences end. :thumbup I was a die-hard dMB fan in my life, seen them well over 100 times and now have progressed to Wilco as my favorite band in the past several years. Neither band is a "jam band" so I'm not sure how much weight the atricle holds anyways, but I consider both more of a structured and segue-timing band. All of the solos for both bands are already planned, its more of full band timing and feeding off one another in a live setting. Both DMB and Wilco do a phenomenonal job of timing their "break-downs" or mini solos and both can be commended on being on top of their game on stage. DMB and Wilco both have amazing stage presence in their own rights, and are to be considered among the best live acts in music. Wheter or not that deserves comparsions within the band's personalities may be a stretch, but it's not completely an over-exaggeration either.

what he said only I have only seen DMB 27 times. And I still believe Carter Beauford is God. When LeRoy Moore died last year I knew I could not go back. I had already moved on but that was the last straw that ended my "fun" with DMB. Did have some good times and I certainly went there to analyze and left unhappy on moe than a few occasions.

At the Tweedy show in Ann Arbor back in 05, the entire venue sat except for the first couple of rows of douchebags. you're in the first row, why do you need to stand??? I also heard that all those douchebags post here so there ya go.

see, i would feel more like a douchebag sitting in the front row of a concert - even an accoustic solo set.

not that i've been in that situation before, though - all of the assigned-seating concerts I've been to have been at large ampitheaters where I was pretty far back (and we stood at our seats anyway).

what he said only I have only seen DMB 27 times. And I still believe Carter Beauford is God. When LeRoy Moore died last year I knew I could not go back. I had already moved on but that was the last straw that ended my "fun" with DMB. Did have some good times and I certainly went there to analyze and left unhappy on moe than a few occasions.

I'll go on record saying I have no beef with the DMB. I was a local in VA who knew of them way before they blew, so yeah, to me it kind of stopped being fun once the shows were suddenly in arenas with crappy sound and, yeah, the crowd got sketchy.(arguably, the same thing happened on a smaller scale with Wilco after YHF) I never had a problem with the band, though, aside from the fact that I think their music suffered after they tasted pop-stardom and they've tried too hard to keep one foot in that vein, at least on record. I haven't seen a DMB show since 97 or so. After a decade off, though, I'd be willing to go again. They've coming to Cinci with the Hold Steady opening for them, which at first seems like a mind-f*ck of a combination, but upon further reflection I think it is genius. Its only music, people. Don't take your musical niches and personal preferences so seriously.

Its only music, people. Don't take your musical niches and personal preferences so seriously.

I admit I can not see music that way-and quite frankly don't want to. I take it seriously. However, if you are a DMB fan, a Hanna Montana fan, or a Styx fan-whatever all good in my eyes. Just be passionate about it.