Hospice is awesome.

it's actually just a re-release in August, the album was released earlier this year by the band (you can still get the self-released on Insound too if you're interested)

the re-release is remastered but i kind of prefer the older version (the changes aren't huge however)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm... as much as i love the new Dirty Projectors record, it's about on par with Veckatimest for me. diff strokes as they say.

Yeah, that is true. I'd put Bitte Orca as record of the year, honestly. Miles ahead of Veckatimest to me, par+ compared to Merriweather Post Pavilion.

No order but if I had to pick a fav so far it would probably be the Pains or Japandroids:

Japandroids

Dude, I got this the other day and I really am digging it. I heard them on Last.FM and was blown away. Sucks that the LP isn't released until August though.

Dude, I got this the other day and I really am digging it. I heard them on Last.FM and was blown away. Sucks that the LP isn't released until August though.

i think you can get the vinyl from here shipped now?

http://www.sonicunyonstore.com/product_info.php?osCsid=lifr4qaih6o3o23m25np6kt4k3&products_id=2392

it's a great record for sure. going to see them live next month

Insound is doing a preorder of the Polyvinyl release (180 gram vinyl) which includes a download link immediately at checkout, too. More people need to hear this, that's for sure!

So much I still have to get me hands on but from what I have, the Phoenix record really stands out, as does Ben Kweller. He's been hinting at a record like that for a while now and so glad to see it come off (to these ears at least) so well...even if Hurtin' You intro does sound like New Kid In Town ;)

Only just started listening to new Felice Brothers but it's already up there.

Andrew Bird blows hot and cold for me. Don't know why, p'raps it depends on mood but I'm pleased to say at last listen it was hot. P'raps I just spun it a bit too much at the start I dunno...

Grizzly Bear are a strange bunch for me too. Like some have said, I can like what they do but it doesn't really do anything for me. I can see it just collecting dust to be honest.

Back on more positive vibes, TV On The Radio cracked it again with Dear Science and if we can include compilations, then Dark Was The Night is album of the year contender.

I've given Wilco (The Album) a rest till the real thing arrives but for me it's a mix of all albums to date which, while being a good thing, for me it makes for a strange running order.

Finally, my most played album of the year so far....

A little out of place given it was a 2008 album but I only got me hands on it this year after me father did some hunting around, Gin Club's Junk. Don't know if anyone knows Gin Club but they were new to me. An aussie band that me parents discovered when they went to Brisbane (see also The Panics). Brought back an album that I thought was OK but p'raps just a pastiche of a few things but Junk has blown me away, I would heartily recommend it!

There's plenty more that's caught the ear but this post is long enough as is....I do have a habit of going overboard, sorry! :)

some of my favourites this year

akron/family - set em free (cant believe no one has mentioned this yet)

dan deacon - bromst

dan auerbach - keep it hid

dark was the night compilataion is just awesome

elvis perkins in dearland

felice brothers - yonder is the clock

heartless bastards - the mountain

leader cheetah - the sunspot letters

papercuts - you can have what you want

phosphorescent - to willie

animal collective - merriweather

best of hte year so far is grizzly bear

wilco will not be on my list this year unfortunately

• 3 months later...

01. boston spaceships - zero to 99

02. reigning sound - love & curses

03. el goodo - coyote

04. son volt - american central dust

05. robert pollard - elephant jokes

06. chris richards & the subtractions - sad sounds of summer

07. neko case - middle cyclone

08. tim easton - porcupine

09. dexateens - singlewide

10. telekinesis - telekinesis

11. cheap star - speaking like an elephant

12. boston spaceships - the planets are blasted

13. outrageous cherry - universal malcontents

14. vetiver - tight knit

15. circus devils - gringo

16. deadstring brothers - sao paulo

17. richmond fontaine - we used to think the river....

18. bottle rockets - lean forward

19. grant-lee phillips - little moon

20. lucero - 1372 overton park

I was looking through my ipod today and came to the realization that this has been a pretty incredible year for music. There have been tons of great releases, more than any recent year that I can think of, anyway.

All of these bands have released albums this year that I wouldn't hesitate to call great:

Animal Collective

Bat For Lashes

The Big Pink

Califone

Cymbals Eat Guitars

Dan Deacon

The Decemberists

Dirty Projectors

Eels

Fever Ray

The Fiery Furnaces

Franz Ferdinand

Girls

Grizzly Bear

Handsome Furs

The Love Language

Metric

Micachu & the Shapes

Neko Case

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Passion Pit

Phoenix

Pink Mountaintops

St. Vincent

Sunset Rubdown

Super Furry Animals

The Thermals

UUVVWWZ

Viva Voce

White Rabbits

Why?

Wilco

Woods

The xx

YACHT

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I was looking through my ipod today and came to the realization that this has been a pretty incredible year for music. There have been tons of great releases, more than any recent year that I can think of, anyway.

All of these bands have released albums this year that I wouldn't hesitate to call great:

Animal Collective

Bat For Lashes

The Big Pink

Califone

Cymbals Eat Guitars

Dan Deacon

The Decemberists

Dirty Projectors

Eels

Fever Ray

The Fiery Furnaces

Franz Ferdinand

Girls

Grizzly Bear

Handsome Furs

The Love Language

Metric

Micachu & the Shapes

Neko Case

Passion Pit

Phoenix

Pink Mountaintops

St. Vincent

Sunset Rubdown

Super Furry Animals

The Thermals

UUVVWWZ

Viva Voce

White Rabbits

Why?

Wilco

Woods

The xx

YACHT

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Thats some list. I would add one more. The best album of the year (or my favourite) is Jason Lytle's 'Your Truly, The Comuter'. If you haven't heard it yet I would definately recommend it. The Felice Brother record was also very good as was the Black Crowes latest.

although Merriweather Post Pavilion was great, I am pretty sure Built to Spill's new record (There is No Enemy) is going to be my favorite of the year based on streams and live material I have heard.

There Is No Enemy is pretty solid, but far from my favorite record this year (maybe top 20 tho), and BTS are one of, if not my favorite band from the late 90's.

I would definitely add Andrew Bird's "Noble Beast" to the list mentioned above. A timeless masterpiece. Well, in one man's opinion. :thumbup

EDIT: Thought I'd mention a couple more albums I really dig from this year's batch.

Both of these musicians I had heard of previously but had never heard their tunes until recently.

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca: Newcomer to the DP but I love it. Intricate, ironic, intoxicating.

St. Vincent - Actor: Just a fabulous record. Very talented, very beautiful :blush.

One album I am not getting into...

The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You: I had my doubts about this record after hearing the title track and a couple songs of the 3(?) song EP they released from the album. I decided to withhold judgment until I could hear the entire body of work but... just not feeling it. I have been a big Avett Bros. fan for a couple years now and was excited for a new album and hoping they may get a bit more experimental with a little more studio focus but the results confirmed my fears to some degree. A bit of glazed doughnut if you will. The center seems to have been taken out and sugary coating placed over top of it.

:yes

Umm...favs so far (Top 5, no order)

Phoenix WAP

Dark Night of the Soul

Dan Auerbach's Keep it Hid

Antlers Hospice

Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest

Really digging the Dirty Projectors Britte Orca too, but I just got around to it only last week.

Can you still buy Useless Creatures by itself?

By the way, MWard's Hold Time is an A in my book.

volcano choir - unmap (this one has totally flown under the radar, and i'm a bit surprised, given the overwhelming love for Bon Iver's last record)

AC - merriweather post pavilion

phoenix - wap

wilco

not in any order.

It was an album that I wanted to like more than I actually did like. I think the same could be said for For Emma, too. Although, I love everything about the Blood Bank EP.

No love for the Lee Fields & The Expressions record? "Love Comes And Goes" floors me everytime.

1. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

2. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

3. Girls - Album

4. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

5. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

for sure.

The Volcano Choir record is pretty good, but Mbira in the Morass sticks out like a sore thumb and is super weak in and of itself. If that track wasn't there it would be a lot better. But considering what the record is trying to do it's pretty impressive that they even got close to accomplishing it.

Records I especially enjoyed:

Eleni Mandell – Artificial Fire

Neko Case – Middle Cyclone

Marissa Nadler – Little Hells

Julie Doiron – I Can Wonder What You Did with Your Day

Jill Sobule – California Years

The Decemberists – The Hazards of Love

Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest

Records I found good:

Joe Henry – Blood from Stars

Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Ana Egge – Road to My Love

Camera Obscura – My Maudlin Career

Devon Sproule – Don’t Hurry for Heaven!

Plastiscines – About Love

Pastels/Tenniscoats – Two Sunsets

Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion

St Vincent – Actor

Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca

Records I need to listen to again to be sure what I think of:

Niobe – Black Bird’s Echo

Amy Allison – Sheffield Streets

Wilco – (the album)

David Mead – Almost and Always

The Antlers – Hospice

Bat for Lashes – Two Suns

Jay Reatard – Watch Me Fall

Arctic Monkeys – Humbug

Taken by Trees – East of Eden

Jean-Louis Murat – Le cours ordinaire des choses

Records I purchased and still expect in the mail:

M. Ward – Hold Time

Loudon Wainwright III – High Wide & Handsome (The Charlie Poole Project)

Butterfly Boucher – Scaryfragile

Records I plan to purchase:

Rose Melberg – Homemade Ship

Anny Celsi – Tangle-Free World

Paul Curreri - California

Patty Griffin - ?

Sondre Lerche – Heart Beat Radio

I was definitely surprised by Sondre Lerche's record... very good, a bit more focused than "Phantom Punch". Favorite fall release for sure.

Very disappointed in the new Avett's record as a whole. I miss the banjo and the rough edges. At least their live show was amazing.

Really digging the new Son Volt record. Might be favorite of the year next to W(TA).