Chicago Show Announcement On Monday

All it takes is one of these threads to get down on the abundance of sub-par venues we have here in Chicago. That's not to say we don't still have some really great ones as well, but it doesn't get much worse than the bottom of the list...

Aragon-no comment.

United Center- good call on the aluminum celing, awful sound for concerts.

First Midwest-Tinley Park (perhaps the most awful outdoor amp in existance?)

Vic/Riv/Metro-all need MAJOR work.

• Aragon has the worst sound and the worst sightlines of any Chicago venue I can think of.
  • United Center is what it is. All things equal, I think Allstate is crappier. No real alternative for bands who want to sell 20,000 seats in Chicago. That's just life.
  • Tinley is a nightmare in every sense of the word.
  • Vic/Riv/Metro are among my favorites. Yes, they need cosmetic work, but that doesn't really bother my concert experience. There are plenty of options for viewing strategies, and in the right hands, each of these rooms can sound outstanding.
  • Park West is another nice sounding room, provided you don't mind the never-ending clanking of bottles as the bartenders mercilessly toss them into the trash cans.
  • Meigs Field isn't bad, despite the lack of public transit access and the asphalt. But I still resent the way Jam was strong-armed out of that deal.
  • Though not really a concert venue (nor a hockey rink), let's just say it: Wrigley Field is just as rotten a place for a concert as it is perfect for baseball.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we thinking the show will be between 10,000 Lakes and Europe, or after Europe?

I'm thinking after Europe...but that's just pure speculation on my part. Who knows if they'll even add more US dates besides this Chicago one.

On a sidenote, you really think Allstate sound is worse than United Center? I'll take Allstate or Sears Center any day over the UC.

prolly won't be Wrigley since they would have to do it in Oct or November when baseball season is over. Concerts tear the hell out of a field.

Actually they are having 3 concerts in Wrigley within a matter of 6 days starting tonight. Elton John and Billy Joel there this evening. That being said, a concert at Wrigley in late summer/ early fall does not seem very likely, even on top of the stretch that Wilco could/would play there, or want to for that matter.

From WXRT mailing list that I somehow am still subscribed to. (I live in NH)

"Wilco's coming - and Lin's back!

Lin Brehmer returns to the XRT morning show on Monday to announce details of Wilco's upcoming XRT Show in Chicago. Tune in at 8am for the news."

I'm thinking after Europe...but that's just pure speculation on my part. Who knows if they'll even add more US dates besides this Chicago one.

On a sidenote, you really think Allstate sound is worse than United Center? I'll take Allstate or Sears Center any day over the UC.

After Europe would be my best guess, too.

Yeah, on balance I'd bet on better sound at UC than Allstate. I think it depends on what type of show it is -- the echo off the back wall at United Center can be unbearable, but if it's AC/DC or something, you may never hear it. On the other hand, I'd say Wilco's much more subtle stuff would be doomed in that place. But I just don't recall ever hearing anyone with even tolerable sound at Allstate. I do agree about Sears Center, but it's so far from downtown and books such a small number of decent shows I don't even think about it.

At this point in their careers Wilco CAN fill Wrigley, United Center or any other large venue. I doubt it will be any of the giant places, but I see no reason that they couldn't compete in that market.

LouieB

At this point in their careers Wilco CAN fill Wrigley, United Center or any other large venue. I doubt it will be any of the giant places, but I see no reason that they couldn't compete in that market.

LouieB

See my comment in the Billboard thread about larger venues, high ticket prices and more dumbasses.

Actually they are having 3 concerts in Wrigley within a matter of 6 days starting tonight. Elton John and Billy Joel there this evening. That being said, a concert at Wrigley in late summer/ early fall does not seem very likely, even on top of the stretch that Wilco could/would play there, or want to for that matter.

Right, and I can't imagine they would want to play there, or that the financial considerations would work. But primarily, the neighborhood and city have to be appeased, and three shows there this year is certainly enough, as far as the neighbors are concerned. Won't be Wrigley for lots of reasons.

I do agree about Sears Center, but it's so far from downtown and books such a small number of decent shows I don't even think about it.

Saw this about the Sears Center last week:

Hoffman Estates village officials are in talks to take over the 11,000-seat Sears Centre, where revenue at the almost three-year-old arena isn’t meeting expectations, the Daily Herald reported on Tuesday. The $60-million stadium is 75% owned by Ryan Cos., the developer, while Sears owns 25% and pays $1 million a year for naming rights. Village officials confirm the talks and say they hope to hire a national management firm, the newspaper reports. The development agreement with Ryan gives the village the right to take over the arena if ownership defaults on a $50-million loan backed by taxpayers. The stadium’s executive director Jeff Bowen tells the newspaper there’s been no default and that the owners have paid all operating expenses.

So not sure how attractive a venue that would be for anyone right now.

So not sure how attractive a venue that would be for anyone right now.

Maybe not, but you can see some fine wrasslin' there:

TNA Wrestling LIVE "Cross The Line"

Friday, October 23, 7:00 PM, Doors Open at 6:00 PM

More information coming soon...

Ticket Prices: TBA

I'm not so sure, we are talking 38,000+, it would have to take a pretty hefty supporting act or bill to pull off a sell-out or even come close imo. Elton and Billy didn't even sell out their second show there, granted they don't have tens of thousands crazed Chicago fans hungry for new material, but still I'd think Wrigley is still just a smidge out of their range and comfort level as far as their progression goes. 20,000 in thier hometown I can see without a probelm though with just the right amount of hype.

Charter One or Chicago Theater would be cool since they haven't done either. UIC isn't great either.

Looks like Pronto has dates 9/8 - 9/19, Nels is playing 9/3-9/4 so those would be out.