Chicago Show Announcement On Monday

Charter One or Chicago Theater would be cool since they haven't done either. UIC isn't great either.

Looks like Pronto has dates 9/8 - 9/19, Nels is playing 9/3-9/4 so those would be out.

Pronto has a show on 9/20 also, so that's out as well.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a neighbor, I usually get emails form the Cubs if they are planning additional concerts. Not artist announcements before the public. Just mentioning that dates are being considered.

They could play the minor league park in Schaumburg that Dylan played several years ago, or the soccer stadium in Bridgeview.

Selfishly I hope they squeeze this show in on either July 29th or 30th as those are the only two days I will be back in that area for a little while.

No reason not to play a summertime show outdoors to close out the tour. Charter One is open the whole week after 10K Lakes?!

[
  • Vic/Riv/Metro are among my favorites. Yes, they need cosmetic work, but that doesn't really bother my concert experience. There are plenty of options for viewing strategies, and in the right hands, each of these rooms can sound outstanding.

I'm actually heading in to chicago from out of town to see Lollapalooza and am catching a few latenights at the Metro. Any suggestions for viewing strategies?

I'm on pins and needles. I haven't been able to get the money together for 10 KLF so this would be be a major deal if I could get tickets for my first Wilco show. In Chicago no less! I'm in Minneapolis so this will be the closest they have been in awhile.

I'm actually heading in to chicago from out of town to see Lollapalooza and am catching a few latenights at the Metro. Any suggestions for viewing strategies?

I always get there pretty early and get a spot up against the soundbooth -- dead center. The place is so small, you're still only about 15-20 feet from the stage, and you have something to lean against if your feet/legs get tired.

I'm seeing the Fleet Foxes there on 25th, and because it's a late show (11:00 first band), I'll definitely be taking advantage of the soundbooth.

I'm not so sure, we are talking 38,000+, it would have to take a pretty hefty supporting act or bill to pull off a sell-out or even come close imo. Elton and Billy didn't even sell out their second show there, granted they don't have tens of thousands crazed Chicago fans hungry for new material, but still I'd think Wrigley is still just a smidge out of their range and comfort level as far as their progression goes. 20,000 in thier hometown I can see without a probelm though with just the right amount of hype.

Yea, I was mostly kidding. But frankly I do think they could put a pretty good dent in Wrigley. Wherever they end up this time around, it isn't going to be the size of either Lounge Ax or Metro.

Incidently, go to the rail on Metro (whomever was discussing this....)The sound is not as good, you will have better sound by the soundbooth, but all the action will be up front.

LouieB

I'm on pins and needles. I haven't been able to get the money together for 10 KLF so this would be be a major deal if I could get tickets for my first Wilco show. In Chicago no less! I'm in Minneapolis so this will be the closest they have been in awhile.

they played in Rochester last year, that's a lot closer to you than Chicago

If you have a good set of earplugs, you can usually get pretty close to the rail on the left side of the stage in front of the speakers, even if you arrive quite late.

If you can get there really early, I like to watch from the front row of the balcony sometimes, too. Easy access to the upstairs bar :cheers

The Aragon is certainly big, although a total dump with some of the worst sound ever (well maybe not worse that place in Milwaukee. It has the same issues, large high ceiling with round walls and plenty of echo. These hauls were built to house dance bands without amplification.

LouieB

Awww man you guys are bumming me out. I liked the whole Mexican theme (well the pictures anyway looked cool). Reminded me of a place you might see in Austin. Oh Well I may still try and get tickets.

Awww man you guys are bumming me out. I liked the whole Mexican theme (well the pictures anyway looked cool). Reminded me of a place you might see in Austin. Oh Well I may still try and get tickets.

Don't be bummed out. The Aragon is a wonderfully historic place. A couple generations ago many a couple met and fell in love there dancing to the music of the big bands in this faux Spanish building, but the years have not been kind to the place, because the upkeep was high and the owners figured that as long as you could book in Latin bands and heavy metal shows, you really didn't have to put much money into it. It has a wonderful wooden dance floor, that is pock marked by millions of cigarette butts.

I saw Elvis Costello there during the Armed Forces tour and remember seeing one of the second floor fire doors chained shut. Hopefully this is no longer the case, in fact I am sure it isn't. Meanwhile someone else will have to vouch for the fact that they have figured out how to make the place sound good. I have never been back for a rock show, although I have been there for some Vietnamese new year dances.

I like the upstairs at the Metro.

It is good, so long as you are on the rail. A couple rows back and you can't see anything really.

LouieB

Meanwhile someone else will have to vouch for the fact that they have figured out how to make the place sound good.

They haven't. I can't imagine Wilco will play there. The sound sucks and it's hard to find anywhere with good sightlines.

They haven't. I can't imagine Wilco will play there. The sound sucks and it's hard to find anywhere with good sightlines.

Well maybe we will get the Auditorium or the Chicago Theater, or maybe they will reopon the Uptown just for Wilco.

LouieB

AH! Where is it gonna be!?!

I actually doubt Aragon, I just don't see Wilco playing there...and usually little birds are bad sources of information.

Maybe a residency spread across smaller venues? (Schubas, double door, hideout, etc.?) or a mad rush to one to get tickets?

Another residency at the homefield - the vic??

Chicago theatre is a possibility, auditorium seems unlikely again... I would assume they would be looking to do something out doors early September? They have to top the 2007 show at the park... Holdin out for a sept 5 show..

AH! Where is it gonna be!?!

I actually doubt Aragon, I just don't see Wilco playing there...and usually little birds are bad sources of information.

Maybe a residency spread across smaller venues? (Schubas, double door, hideout, etc.?) or a mad rush to one to get tickets?

Another residency at the homefield - the vic??

Chicago theatre is a possibility, auditorium seems unlikely again... I would assume they would be looking to do something out doors early September? They have to top the 2007 show at the park... Holdin out for a sept 5 show..

I guess we will all know the truth by tomorrow, but I don't see why you doubt either the Auditorium or the Aragon or any other large venue, maybe short of the United Center.

Considering the last residency was at the Riv, a fairly large venue even compared to the Vic, how could Wilco ever go back to any of the smaller residencies in this town??

edit- I understand that the Aragon is much nicer than it used to be, that the owners have actually fixed the old place up. This is a good thing, to be sure.

LouieB

http://www.uicpavilion.com/

Sunday, October 18 at 7:30pm — The UIC Pavilion in Chicago

Wilco have just announced details of their highly anticipated hometown show here, which will take place on Sunday, October 18 at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. Tickets go on sale Saturday, July 25 at 10am for what is certain to be one of the highlights of the fall concert season.