Why no love for Secret of the Sea

I really like this sweet, poppy song from MAII.

Nice guitars and vocal harmonies. A nice companion piece to California Stars.

Who's been neglecting this song? Do you mean Wilco isn't playing it anymore, that they're ignoring it?

It's a beautiful melody--a Jay Bennett melody, like "California Stars." These two are my favorite of the Mermaid tracks, and Jay's harmony vocal on "She Came Along to Me," it's almost like a second lead vocal in a way. So, three favorites from Mermaid.

I love Jay's enormous 60s rocker "fur" coat in this video, like he's a member of Cream or something. Too hilarious. After the show, I told him how fantastic the coat was and he said, "What, that old thing?" with perfect timing. Of course, he had to wear something outrageous and "stereotypical rocker" like that, what else can one wear while playing a doubleneck? Nothing serious, anyway. It predates the Wilco Nudie suit-humor era by a decade.

I love the typo on this YouTube post, too, "Secret of the Seat." Perhaps it's because they're all sitting.

I've always liked it too. Not one of my favs, but it's just so happy and poppy, how can you not like it? Maybe because; someone once said it sounds a little like a commercial theme song.. Like a chewing gum commercial or something..

Yeah, this song DOES seem a little unappreciated by fans and the band alike.

I'd put this in the same league as NothingsEverGonnaStantInMyWay or Heavy Metal Drummer....good, simple, straight-forward rockers that are fun live.

Thinking of this makes me remember how great Wilco's Mermaid Ave contributions were. Bragg offered A LOT on MA1, but Wilco's songs are about the only reason to get MA2.

Airline to Heaven, Secrets of the Sea, Feed of Man, Remember the Mountain Bed, Joe Dimaggio, Blood of the Lamb, Someday Some Morning.....that's solid!

Guest Speed Racer

Maybe because; someone once said it sounds a little like a commercial theme song.. Like a chewing gum commercial or something..

Who can guess the secret of...

esprit_main_image09.jpg

I have never really liked this song, and I can't articulate specifically why. I guess the melody just doesn't do it for me.

I also love this song and would love for it to show up from time to time. It's only 2.5 minutes. It'll be painless for the folks that don't like it.

I posted in the "Heard While You're Out And About" thread that my friend said he heard this song played on Satellite Radio at the Outback Steakhouse. So it is getting love. Maybe Outback will use it for a fish dish commercial in the future B)

I love Jay's enormous 60s rocker "fur" coat in this video, like he's a member of Cream or something. Too hilarious. After the show, I told him how fantastic the coat was and he said, "What, that old thing?" with perfect timing. Of course, he had to wear something outrageous and "stereotypical rocker" like that, what else can one wear while playing a doubleneck? Nothing serious, anyway. It predates the Wilco Nudie suit-humor era by a decade.

Jay's look is a great contrast to Jeff's in that video.

MA2 is an album I have never heard, so I have nothing to contribute besides this revelation of my ignorance.

I heard this on the radio once. XPN in Philly I think and just about flipped out. It's one of my top 3 for that album. I don't think I was at any of those 21 shows where it was played. Hopefully I'll be there next time it is.

Who's been neglecting this song? Do you mean Wilco isn't playing it anymore, that they're ignoring it?

It's a beautiful melody--a Jay Bennett melody, like "California Stars." These two are my favorite of the Mermaid tracks, and Jay's harmony vocal on "She Came Along to Me," it's almost like a second lead vocal in a way. So, three favorites from Mermaid.

I love the typo on this YouTube post, too, "Secret of the Seat." Perhaps it's because they're all sitting.

Billy Bragg looks enthralled to be there.

--Mike

Billy Bragg looks enthralled to be there.

--Mike

Doesn't he, though? He and the band were not getting on by this point, and he was so late to this taping that the band thought he wasn't going to show at all. He did show up at the very last minute, however, but he's not really playing; there's a cable from his guitar to make it look as though he's playing, but it's not plugged into anything. He's literally going through the motions, that's it. And his shirt is stupid.