11-16 Denver, CO - The Fillmore

11-20 Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom

11-21 Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom

11-23 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom

11-24 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom

11-25 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom

11-27 Boston, MA - Wang Center

11-30 Washington, D.C. - Constitution Hall

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I haven't been paying attention to any of their recent shows, but based on that documentary of their reunion tour, I figured there wasn't a chance they'd ever tour again. Maybe I'm still bitter because I had fourth row center seats for a show on their last tour that got canceled. According to Pitchfork, the shows "will feature a set that includes the entire 1989 classic album and its related B-sides." Is that worth braving New York during Thanksgiving week? Hmmm.

Full blurb here

If i can find a ticket to the Chicago shows, i'm going. It'd be nice to know the prices and exactly when the tickets go on sale. I've heard Saturday, August 1st, but still no official info available from TicketBastard. So i guess we'll find out very soon.

the shows "will feature a set that includes the entire 1989 classic album and its related B-sides."

Cool. Before I owned Doolittle, I had the Monkey Gone to Heaven ep. I loved Manta Ray, Weird at My School, etc. It'd be fun to hear those songs.

I believe the Hammerstein shows go on sale August 14, and the two dates after those not until September. I'm not sure about the earlier dates. They look too tightly packed to add any others, too, though I was hoping for a Philadelphia show. New York is just so expensive that I can usually only afford to go twice a year, and I usually save those trips for jazz and experimental shows and go to Philadelphia for other shows. :hmm

Figures.

The Aragon is the worst venue in Chicago.

I guess we dodged the Wilco bullet on it though.

You have to give the Pixies credit; playing the shit out of their back catalogue with no pretention of recording anyhting new and making big time money. Bravo Pixies...!!!

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

How many "reunion" tours have the Pixies done now?

One I think, in 2004.

Still don't know why they aren't coming to at least Atlanta... Ain't got no luv for the South I guess... C'mon, the weather will be nice down here starting late September!

Am I the only person who doesn't see the purpose of this tour? It'd be one thing if Doolittle was a double album, but shelling out dough to see them perform a 39 minute album is pretty silly to me. I'd rather just see them do a normal set.

Hell, last time I saw them, they played about 80% of Doolittle anyway.

Somehow that post ^ seems less out of place in a Pixies thread than it might elsewhere.

edit: Never mind. There was a spam post immediately above that got deleted before I submitted this one.

Am I the only person who doesn't see the purpose of this tour? It'd be one thing if Doolittle was a double album, but shelling out dough to see them perform a 39 minute album is pretty silly to me. I'd rather just see them do a normal set.

Hell, last time I saw them, they played about 80% of Doolittle anyway.

If they're JUST going to play Doolittle, and then say goodnight and head for the tourbus, you'd have a very good point.

How likely do you think it is that that's what they'll do?

If they're JUST going to play Doolittle, and then say goodnight and head for the tourbus, you'd have a very good point.

How likely do you think it is that that's what they'll do?

not at all.

they already said they'd be doing a set of other stuff as well.

from Rolling Stone:

As in Europe, the shows will feature all of Doolittle’s 15 tracks and related B sides, a list that includes “Weird at My School,” “Dancing the Manta Ray” and “Bailey’s Walk.” The album itself includes Pixies classics “Debaser,” “Gouge Away,” “Monkey Gone to Heaven,” “Wave of Mutilation” and “Here Comes Your Man.” A press release indicates the band is dreaming up “Doolittle-related surprises” for the shows.

other Doolittle b-sides include "Into the White" and UK Surf version of "Wave of Mutilation" - there might be others but that's what I could think of right offhand.

• 2 months later...

Just saw the Pixies last night in Denver. Wow, they have become a big time rock band. Sold out 2 nights at the huge Fillmore. Big light show with video behind them. Loved hearing Doolittle in it's entirety.

One I think, in 2004.

I saw them on that tour in Dublin and they were great admittedly but in fairness, for me, they have just lost the edge a bit and didn't mean as much to me as it might have back in the day. Now, I feel a little ambivalent about them as it seems a cash raking exercise as evidenced with that Minotaur box thing.

Now, I feel a little ambivalent about them as it seems a cash raking exercise....

All tours are cash raking exercises.

I thought the Pixies on their last tour were every bit as good as they were on the Trompe tour. They may have been past their prime as a live band even by then, though.

All tours are cash raking exercises.

I thought the Pixies on their last tour were every bit as good as they were on the Trompe tour. They may have been past their prime as a live band even by then, though.

They sounded amazing to me but I never saw them live before. It was definitely more polished and structured then I would have thought but the music sounded great.

On another note, the opening band for the show was "No Age". I was really, really not impressed, at all.

On another note, the opening band for the show was "No Age". I was really, really not impressed, at all.

When I saw them a few years ago the opener was The Thrills. They were anything but thrilling.

On the Trompe tour Pere Ubu was the opener. Pretty awesome.

When I saw the Pixies in Lowell,MA in Dec of 04 the opener was Mission Of Burma. And some band with the lead singer in a wheel chair.

Then I saw them at Agganis Arena in June of 05. It was about one week before Wilco went there. Both shows were great and consisted of about 30 songs. They played almost all of Doolittle.

I would like to see them in Boston next week, but Thanksgiving weekend is tough.