Robert Pollard, Etc.

btw, you can see shots of last Friday's gig by clicking on the photo

p753370411-4.jpg

Awesome photos! Jason (drummer) and Steve (guitarist/"Fleetwood Mac" guy) are friends of mine. Wish I could have been back at Canal Street for this gig.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Uncle Bob's getting a little too old to attempt those high kicks anymore, huh?

Damn.

The brokers got to all of the Chicago tickets. I was at work but my fiancee was at home basically hitting refresh over and over again starting 5 minutes before the tix went on sale, and they went from "not yet on sale" to "sold out" pretty much instantaneously at 10:00. Really bitter about this.

The brokers got to all of the Chicago tickets. I was at work but my fiancee was at home basically hitting refresh over and over again starting 5 minutes before the tix went on sale, and they went from "not yet on sale" to "sold out" pretty much instantaneously at 10:00. Really bitter about this.

that really, really sucks

Got my Atlanta tickets. Very excited.

Me too, and I didn't even log on until 20 miinutes after on-sale started. Hopefully that means the brokers didn't swipe most of the tickets.

Man that sucks and is so frustrating. Almost makes you miss the days when people had to show up and stand in line for tickets (almost).

http://pitchfork.com/news/39589-robert-pollard-plans-five-new-albums/

Robert Pollard Plans Five New Albums

Hear a new MP3, plus details on art exhibit with a Sopranos star

MP3: Boston Spaceships: ""Come on Baby Grace" "

2010 is looking like Bob Pollard's most productive year since at least 2009. He's got the Guided By Voices reunion tour coming up, sure, but if you thought he was just going to sit back and count that reunion cash for the rest of the year, well, you don't know Bob. The man is planning to release five albums over the next 10 months, starting off with Our Cubehouse Still Rocks, a new LP from his band Boston Spaceships due out September 7 on GBV Inc. Download a track from it above, and click on to read about all the other things Bob has planned.

Come January, Pollard will put out a new solo album called Space City Kicks featuring 18 short songs on GVB Inc. And then in February comes a record from his Lifeguards project with ex-GBV guitarist Doug Gillard called Waving at the Astronauts on Serious Business and Ernest Jenning Record Co. March brings an as-yet-untitled album from something called Mars Classroom, aka Pollard and Gary Waleik of Big Dipper. And, perhaps most promising, another Boston Spaceships release called Let It Beard comes out in May on GBV Inc.; the 26-track double LP features guitar guest shots from J. Mascis, Wire's Colin Newman, the Dirtbombs' Mick Collins, King Missile's Dave Rick, and the Dream Syndicate's Steve Wynn.

Pollard's also got an art show called The Public Hi-Fi Balloon at New York's 45 Space August 27-28. The gallery will feature "more than 60 imaginary record sleeves, as well as dreamed-up magazines and coffee table books," according to a press release, and will be hosted by "Sopranos" star Michael Imperioli (why not?!), who Pollard has worked with in the past.

....and on a completely different note, GbV tickets have been procured for The Warfield show in SF on 10/5. Yesssss.

Hopefully there'll also be another Circus Devils album soon. :rock :beer

It seems like ages since Mother Skinny came out, but I guess it's only been something like four months.

I've also got my fingers crossed for Power of Suck, the unreleased '96 album that somehow morphed into Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. There was talk of it finally coming out this year, but who knows?

Hopefully there'll also be another Circus Devils album soon. :rock :beer

It seems like ages since Mother Skinny came out, but I guess it's only been something like four months.

I've also got my fingers crossed for Power of Suck, the unreleased '96 album that somehow morphed into Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. There was talk of it finally coming out this year, but who knows?

Circus Devils - Please dear god no. A good and loving god will prevent this from happening ever again, I am certain of this. However, I am sure he can poop out another 15 CD records.

Power of Suck - That would be great. Something tells me it may come out but...probably not. Who knows with the reunion thing.

the circus devils stuff just flat-out sucks

that's bob and todd mocking fans by putting out the shittiest stuff they can possibly come up with and watching all the hard-core apologists rave about how it's better than alien lanes, etc.

it's just awful

Exactly. It may be his most diverse stuff compared to his solo joints and sidebands, which are interchangeable in my opinion, but I be damned if it isn't the worst stuff he also records.

the circus devils stuff just flat-out sucks

that's bob and todd mocking fans by putting out the shittiest stuff they can possibly come up with and watching all the hard-core apologists rave about how it's better than alien lanes, etc.

it's just awful

I used to dislike and dismiss Circus Devils, but now I'm a fan. Not a fanatic, but a fan. The first two CD albums, Ringworm Interiors and Harold Pig Memorial confused and disappointed me. So I skipped Pinball Mars, figuring it'd be more of the same, and then I skipped Five too. But then, Sgt. Disco came out on a non-Bob-owned label (Ipecac Records) and it got some pretty good press, so it got me thinking that maybe it might not be too bad. I took a chance on it and loved the fuck out of it, so I gobbled up Pinball Mars and Five and decided to get caught up. Pinball Mars is pretty good in a relatively straightforward rockin' sort of way (with one flat-out great track, "Don't Be Late"), whereas Five kinda sucks. I gave Ringworm Interiors and Harold Pig Memorial another chance and realized they're pretty damn good after all. The three most recent Circus Devils albums have all been winners. Ataxia veers into hard rock and heavy metal territory (or should I say "heavy metal country"?) and surprised me with some really engaging melodies. It's more song-oriented than any previous or later Circus Devils album, which is probably why it's my favorite. Bob surprised everyone by following up Ataxia with Gringo, which doesn't sound like CD at all. Lots of acoustic guitars and pretty songs. I'm really surprised Bob used the CD moniker for that one. The most recent Circus Devils album, Mother Skinny, features all the variety of sounds CD has used over the years, with a few knockout songs and no real clunkers. It's probably his most consistently good CD album (but in my opinion Ataxia is the best, with Sgt. Disco running a close second). So I guess what I'm saying is that Circus Devils has gotten better and more song-oriented through the years, and is almost turning into a pop band, albeit a fucked up pop band.

I admit that I am an Uncle Bob apologist (hell, I'll even defend Acid Ranch, Hazzard Hotrods and Howling Wolf Orchestra), but I don't think Circus Devils is his best project. Far from it. That nod goes to Boston Spaceships. If I were to list Bob's projects in order of preference, CD would be near the bottom. But what I do like about Circus Devils is its variety of fucked up, artsy-fartsy sounds, and there's something just plain old fun about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here you go.

More GUIDED BY VOICES shows added!

Wed, Sept 29, Dallas, TX, Palladium Showroom

On sale now!

...Fri, Oct 29, Bloomington, IN, Bluebird

On Sale Friday, 08/20 at 12pm

Sat, Oct 30, Detroit, MI, Majestic Theatre

On Sale Friday, 08/20 at 10am

Sun, Oct 31, Oberlin, OH, Oberlin College - Hales Gym

On Sale to students, Tues, Aug 31st

On Sale to general public, Wed, Sept 8th.

More information coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Cubehouse is good. I've listened to it about 3-4 times now...I don't think it's as good as Planets or Zero to 99, but I have to give it time there are a few cool tracks: "Airwaves" is very T-Rex-ish; "Fly Away" has a great GBV sound; "Come on Baby Grace" is a great little rocker.

Overall, it's good and better than his solo output by a mile in my book.

Cubehouse is good. I've listened to it about 3-4 times now...I don't think it's as good as Planets or Zero to 99, but I have to give it time there are a few cool tracks: "Airwaves" is very T-Rex-ish; "Fly Away" has a great GBV sound; "Come on Baby Grace" is a great little rocker.

Overall, it's good and better than his solo output by a mile in my book.

i haven't heard cubehouse yet. need to pick it up, but really haven't heard anything overwhelmingly positive about it, other than from the kool-aid drinkers on DTS who say everything is great because they think it will make bob their friend

zero to 99 is great. planets is pretty good.

the solo stuff? the last three (elephant jokes, we all got out of the army and moses on a snail) are just brutal.

the last great solo record was FaCE - although i dig a lot of normal happiness - and the last even decent one was crawling distance.

IMHO

I have yet to "buy" Cubehouse B) (it leaked the other day) and honestly, I think I'm gonna wait for a while this time. Every time a new album comes out, I rush to get the LP because it's "limited to 500 copies" or whatever. But then months, and in most cases, years after their release, his LPs are still available wiith no oneone in particular itching to buy them. So this time I say "screw it! I'm gonna wait." His audience has shrunk to a size that even a limited # of 500 takes a while to sell out. Imagine if Wilco did that.