Wilco on CBS Sunday Morning

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't really get why the media seems more interested in Spencer lately than they do in the rest of the band. Jeff isn't the first musician to be a good dad. It's great that he is, but I don't really feel like that's anybody's business. And I think it's a much less interesting angle than, say, the fact that every band member is involved with other musical projects. It's kind of weird that they didn't even mention any of the other guys by name, let alone talk to them. Then again, we have no idea how much was edited out, either.

I suspect that all of these media pieces were scheduled and shot at about the same time. Mostly the pragmatic consideration of having film crews and writers in the house. Plus Spencer has become a high profile recorder of Life Wilco.

As a mom who has seen guitar player dad jamming with drummer kid played out many times, the angle bears much resonance.

I watched this with a mixture of pride and selfishness. Still, there is beautiful irony in seeing dudes in their 40s and 50s reach a level of rock and roll success usually reserved for the youts. Kudos, Wilco.

Thanks to the guys that snagged this for us Sunday morning slackers!

Though it was nice to see Wilco (or, as others have pointed out, Jeff) receiving some much deserved attention, by and large, the piece was very broad and shallow. As an introduction to the band (Jeff Tweedy), it served its purpose, but on the whole, it was pretty much little more than fluff. I wasn’t expecting an in-depth biography, but I was expecting a bit more than an Entertainment Tonight-like drive-by. I was hoping the band (Jeff Tweedy) would be interviewed by Bill Flanagan, Sunday Morning’s usual music contributor, but instead, we got a life-like approximation of a Mary Heart-esque robo-clone.

It was nice to see Wilco getting expsoure on one of my favorite television programs. However, a little involvement from music critic Bill Flanagan, who I believe has praised Wilco on previous CBS Sunday Morning programs, would have added a some insight and actual music-focused content to this lightweight piece.

Hey, I just read the previous post after posting mine...I guess I think very much like "good old neon."

It was nice to see Wilco getting expsoure on one of my favorite television programs. However, a little involvement from music critic Bill Flanagan, who I believe has praised Wilco on previous CBS Sunday Morning programs, would have added a some insight and actual music-focused content to this lightweight piece.

When I heard Wilco was going to be featured, I was hoping Bill was going to have something to do with the segment. He definitely would've brought a bit more depth and insight to the piece. Mind you, as a regular viewer of this show, it was pretty much how I expected it would be: light, entertaining and not too in-depth, this ain't 60 Minutes after all :D.

I enjoyed how the Jeff segment started. Coming back from commercial they are playing a Black Eyed Peas song that the always hip Charlie Osgood declares has been on top of the charts all summer. He is sure we had heard that song, but not so sure we have heard the music of Wilco. Actually it was quite the opposite. But I think that was the general message of the piece. Most of you have not heard Wilco, but those of you who have (us) are die hard, tour following, waiting in line for 10+ hours, message board posting, fans. That is why our moms called us all excited when they saw this piece. Or why my wifes boss texted her. People think of us when they hear or see Wilco. Wilco is just in the public eye enough to be seen, but just enough out of it to be known. All they know is that we like them. And as a person who likes them, I am glad to see the mainstream coverage. It was a nice piece casting the Jeff in a very positive light. There can be no harm done from a piece like that.

Coming back from commercial they are playing a Black Eyed Peas song that the always hip Charlie Osgood declares has been on top of the charts all summer. He is sure we had heard that song, but not so sure we have heard the music of Wilco.

:lol This cracked me up, because I've never heard that Black Eyed Peas song.

Yeah, I did not enjoy the vocal stylings of that reporter at all. But a nice piece.

It was a cool little bit of exposure, but it seemed like the "Wilco are suddenly popular" narrative was totally forced, i.e. "Wilco is now appearing on Letterman" (have appeared on Letterman and the Tonight Show over a decade) and "Wilco are now in a car commercial" (commercial aired over two years ago) and "Wilco have a #4 album" (SBS hit #4, too)....

Still, their heart was in the right place. ;)

Yes, plus noting that Wilco has sold 4 million copies of their 8 records worldwide and have won 2 Grammys "despite zero exposure on top 40 radio" is not exactly a congruous statement.

Yeah, I did not enjoy the vocal stylings of that reporter at all. But a nice piece.

I half expected her to discuss how she first stumbled across Wilco while listening to Martha Stewart Living's Quiet Time. :unsure

417T0GCG8CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I think the Jeff/Spencer coverage was from the SPIN piece, right? I don't think that was new coverage or anything. I thought I had watched that whole think on the Spin website.

I think the Jeff/Spencer coverage was from the SPIN piece, right? I don't think that was new coverage or anything. I thought I had watched that whole think on the Spin website.

Looks like it was shot on a different day / time, Sam has switched instruments for example from a Hofner bass to an Omnichord.

I thought it was pretty neat that Jeff and Spencer chose to rock out some Meters. I didn't re-watch the piece but I believe it was Cissy Strut. Jeff was gettin down to, Zigaboo would have been proud!

Plus, Spencer was clutching a vinyl copy of Television's "Marquee Moon" album (~7:22)....THAT would be a proud father/son moment!

Spencer_Marquee Moon.jpg

Plus, Spencer was clutching a vinyl copy of Television's "Marquee Moon" album (~7:22) in the scenes on the tour bus...THAT would be a proud father/son moment!

Even though it looked like a contrived moment to get a great album noticed on TV, I thought that was pretty cool too. And hey, it worked so I'm all for it.

Even though it looked like a contrived moment to get a great album noticed on TV, I thought that was pretty cool too. And hey, it worked so I'm all for it.

Haha, I thought it was a contrived moment to get a Television album on Television. I got a kick out it, for sure.

Haha, I thought it was a contrived moment to get a Television album on Television. I got a kick out it, for sure.

It might just be a ploy to score another guitar lesson from Richard Lloyd :D.