Now Playing: September 2009

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Flawlwessly" isn't the right word. Listen closely to the bass in 'Visions of Johanna.' You will get no argument from me about "brilliant," however.

To me, there's nothing at all wrong with this album. The few less-than-great moments are only less-than-great because of the immense shadows cast by the high points of the album.

Flawless.

To me, there's nothing at all wrong with this album. The few less-than-great moments are only less-than-great because of the immense shadows cast by the high points of the album.

Flawless.

"Visions of Johanna" is my favorite cut on the record (usually), but the bass player on that track was clearly under-rehearsed. At least 3 times he comes in on the change too early, this can only be called a mistake. Mistake=flaw. Therefore, the album does not qualify as flawless.

By no means does this ruin it for me, I prefer to think of it as a "warts and all" sort of thing that adds to the charm in much the same way that the organ coming in a half beat later on "Like a Rolling Stone" because the keyboard player (i should be able to use his name here, but dammit, my memory)wasn't sure what the chord was.

Anyway, we're getting off topic here, perhaps there should be a separate thread.

"Visions of Johanna" is my favorite cut on the record (usually), but the bass player on that track was clearly under-rehearsed. At least 3 times he comes in on the change too early, this can only be called a mistake. Mistake=flaw. Therefore, the album does not qualify as flawless.

By no means does this ruin it for me, I prefer to think of it as a "warts and all" sort of thing that adds to the charm in much the same way that the organ coming in a half beat later on "Like a Rolling Stone" because the keyboard player (i should be able to use his name here, but dammit, my memory)wasn't sure what the chord was.

Anyway, we're getting off topic here, perhaps there should be a separate thread.

I see your point, but it's not the type of thing that jumps out as "wrong," or anything. At least not to me. It all comes together, and fits in to the sound Dylan was aiming for.

One of the things that I respect so much about Dylan's first few full band records is that they were recorded live. These little missteps could have easily been overdubbed, but they weren't. And they don't scream "mistake!" So I just can't view them as flaws.

I see your point, but it's not the type of thing that jumps out as "wrong," or anything. At least not to me. It all comes together, and fits in to the sound Dylan was aiming for.

One of the things that I respect so much about Dylan's first few full band records is that they were recorded live. These little missteps could have easily been overdubbed, but they weren't. And they don't scream "mistake!" So I just can't view them as flaws.

let's not forget that most of the time dylan just started playing and the guys had to keep up with him.

besides, don't nit pick. enjoy that shit (guy who nitpicked, not original poster).

let's not forget that most of the time dylan just started playing and the guys had to keep up with him.

besides, don't nit pick. enjoy that shit (guy who nitpicked, not original poster).

Yea, sadly the session guys don't get enough credit for records like BonB and H61R. Dylan wasn't the kind of guy who gave everyone detailed charts of what to play. The fact that they kept up with him at all is a true sign to the talent assembled in those studios.

Hell, for "Sad Eyed Lady," wasn't it said that no one had a clue how long Dylan was going to make that song? Just imagine being a musician in that setting. The fact that they weren't all train-wrecks of errors is a miracle.

It just adds to the mystique behind 65/66 Dylan.

i thought i made it clear that those do in fact enhance my enjoyment of it. i was just saying that these things can be heard if you listen for them. Like when Dylan flubs one of the lines.