• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hyperbole much?

If you think that's true, you:

1) haven't listened to much by the Dead

2) are completely unaware of the entire genre of Jam Bands

Either way, run along now.

which jamband sounds like the Dead?

I only saw GD 120 times or so so Im not that well versed but the ending of Ashes of American Flags sounds like wanka wanka jamband to me

OK,IRDB - I've supported you over the years when others were blowing you shit, but this time you've gone too far, man. NO ONE sounds like the Dead, not even remotely. And although I dig the Ren & Stimpy reference, there's about 100 Garcia death ballads that will refute the 'happy happy joy joy'lyrics.

Oh, and I like the Wilco, but dude this is ridonkulous.

OK,IRDB - I've supported you over the years when others were blowing you shit, but this time you've gone too far, man. NO ONE sounds like the Dead, not even remotely. And although I dig the Ren & Stimpy reference, there's about 100 Garcia death ballads that will refute the 'happy happy joy joy'lyrics.

Oh, and I like the Wilco, but dude this is ridonkulous.

Since the focus is on the lyrics, the death ballads would be more aptly described as Robert Hunter songs.

None of which sound like Wilco.

I don't think Wilco sound much like the Grateful Dead, but I've always wanted to hear what Wilco could do with a few Grateful Dead songs. If Wilco were to do a Halloween costume the way Phish does, I think Workingman's Dead would be the perfect album for them to cover.

This news is most unfortunate. I hereby resign my commission in the Wilco Army.

Hyperbole much?

There's the Dead, and then there's the "Jam Bands". The only similarities are they both play long songs with lots of instrumental sections between the lyrics. To call the Grateful Dead a "jam band" is possibly the worst insult you could hurl at them.

Hyperbole much?

I was a big Deadhead in the day (100+ shows). I enjoy the looseness of the live shows although Wilco doesn't do extended jams and you have to admit Tweedy's voice is reminiscent of Jerry.

It would be interesting to see Wilco's noisy outros segue into another song, rather than just come to an end. It would also be interesting to hear a little improv in a song like Impossible Germany, rather than playing it nearly note-for-note each night. Just very minor quibbles in a GD-Wilco thread.

Hey Folks. Love your work. Long time lurker, very freequent poster.

I love Wilco. I love the omnipotent Grateful Dead. I love phish. Don't care for too many jam bands.

That being said, Wilco sounds nothing like the GD, and comparing Nels (tone, style, anything) to Jerry is just silly.

The band that sounds most like the GD right now, excluding DSO, is Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. Durring some of the longer extended jams in Easy Plateau or Mockingbird, i often find myself comparing the guitar work to Jerry. Absolutley amazing current music.

Thanks for your time.

The band that sounds most like the GD right now, excluding DSO, is Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. Durring some of the longer extended jams in Easy Plateau or Mockingbird, i often find myself comparing the guitar work to Jerry. Absolutley amazing current music.

Totally agree with this comment. Especially 'Easy Plateau' and 'Goodbye Rose'.

Anyways, back to Wilco and the person who started this thread, they sound nothing like the Grateful Dead. Some aspects of their songs (particularly Being There's more country/folksy numbers) are similar as both bands were steeped in traditional sounding songs: pedal steels, finger-picked acoustic, and the timbre in Jeff's voice can be somewhat reminiscent of Jerry's. But now, with Nels and this last album, absolutely not. In fact, I don't think there's anything on the last album that you could draw a line to. And if you're referring to live, in what sense? 'Impossible Germany's' coda sounds more like the Allman's. 'At Least That's What You Said's' guitar 'freakout' sounds like a tribute to Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Tell me when GD did anything as nasty and stinging as 'Spiders'. No offense but I think you're out of your mind.

mtt you ever heard of The Other One or Caution or Born Cross Eyed or The Eleven?

Pretty nasty and stinging if you ask me.

Yes I have. I love some of those songs but put them up next to Spiders or Bull Black Nova and tell me how similar they sound? I was just pointing out that I don't think Wilco qualifies as sounding more like the Grateful Dead than anyone else. I don't see how they sound like them at all, really besides the point I made earlier about Being There and probably AM. Someone else mentioned Uncle Tupelo and I'd have to say their probably closer (the later years) than Wilco is/was.