Wilco sounds more like The Grateful Dead than any band playing today

I am and always will be a huge Dead fan. I think you can hear hints of GD in certain Wilco songs but I don't really see a strong comparison. But I can see where a case can be made for one. For my money, a song such as "You are my face" Sounds like a Phish song to me? Just stirring the pot a little. However, I do believe that Wilco and GD share quite a few fans. For the person who made the point about Ryan Adams, I do agree that he has made quite a bit of music that sound GDish since his collaberation with Phil Lesh.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band that sounds most like the GD right now, excluding DSO, is Ryan Adams and the Cardinals. Durring some of the longer extended jams in Easy Plateau or Mockingbird, i often find myself comparing the guitar work to Jerry. Absolutley amazing current music.

I second or third that. If anyone is reminiscent of the GD, it is the Cardinals... or was the Cardinals. The Cardinals have even covered a handful of Dead of the years. Ryan Adams has a Skull sticker on one of his amps.

Although Wilco fans often listen to jam bands, they have nothing that would be classified as such. Wilco is a straight up rock band these days, and a damn good one to note, arguably the best around right now.

I do agree that Nels is nasty, but he's not a jam band player like say a Trey Anastasio or Warren Haynes. All of those guys have mastered the instrument but in different ways.

For my money, a song such as "You are my face" Sounds like a Phish song to me? Just stirring the pot a little.

The first time I heard "Spiders" live it for some reason made me think of "First Tube".

If anything, and I've thought this before, I would say that Wilco sounds like the band that Phish tries to be on their later 'pop' efforts. That is, music with emotional substance.

Nice first post

_files_troll_2.jpg

A few similarities I've noticed between Dead/Wilco:

On live versions of Ashes in the Nels era, the outro jam is very similar to outro jam of Stella Blue, particularly the more intense versions circa '78.

You are My Face mines some of the similar folk/prog territory as Terrapin Station, although much more concisely.

The rootsy/Americana stuff has obvious similarities to the songs and sensibilities of Workingmans/American Beauty era stuff.

Overall I don't think Wilco sound much like the Dead, but they make me feel similar.

Guest Speed Racer

Nice first post

Did I read something wrong, or didn't he say that Wilco sounds like "music with emotional substance"? Because if he did, I fail to follow the inspiration for your reply...

I seem to remember Crow doing the "troll picture" in response to non-troll posts before. I think he just uses as it a coverall term to describe anyone he disagrees with, take it as a term of affection, urnadterp, and welcome to the boards.

--Mike

Guest Speed Racer

I think he posted the troll picture because the guy has been a member here for 3 years and just made his first post. That wasn't too difficult to figure out.

If that is the case, those people are lurkers, not trolls. Some people take a while to warm up to posting, and generally should be welcomed and not rebuked with a flippant remark and matching image.

I just think that troll picture should be banned, yikes.

The closest Wilco/Dead resemblance I can think of was when Wilco actually took set breaks, "like the Dead"(as Jeff said), during the Residency shows, as suggested by the V.C. board.

They always have be taper friendly, too. But when comes to the music --- none.

It would be interesting to see Wilco's noisy outros segue into another song, rather than just come to an end. It would also be interesting to hear a little improv in a song like Impossible Germany, rather than playing it nearly note-for-note each night. Just very minor quibbles in a GD-Wilco thread.

segues would be cool in wilco, how about muzzle of bees>spiders.

I seem to remember Crow doing the "troll picture" in response to non-troll posts before. I think he just uses as it a coverall term to describe anyone he disagrees with, take it as a term of affection, urnadterp, and welcome to the boards.

--Mike

Well, that's just fucking stupid.

Didn't Jeff attempt a Ripple cover once? If anyone has recordings of any kind of Wilco/Dead crossovers, please do share ...

Yes. I used to have a video of that, but not anymore.