I surely hope Jeff doesn't read this board

With tongue in cheek I post the following missive.

I know Jeff has actually posted here once in response to a ridiculous claim that he plaigarized his lyrics from an obscure poet. (Which some of you bought hook line and sinker and were rather indignant about it.) But I hope he maintains the good sense of humor he exhibited then if he has been reading the last year or so.

According to some here, the following items are canon (gotta keep Cryptique happy):

Jay Bennett was the true genius behind the Wilco Classics

Nels Cline noodles too much

Nels Cline isn't allowed to cut loose enough

Glenn should be bored playing with the band...too many old guys

A Ghost is Born is terrible...no wait it's a classic

Sky Blue Sky is the worst record ever...but the individual songs are great

Solitaire rips off Good Vibrations

The guitar lick in You Never Know is outright theft...no homage there buddy

Wilco is now a jam band just like Phish and the Grateful Dead

Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album) should have been edited into one record

Wilco should cover some other artist's record in its entireity because they are boring live

Wilco is simply a band on the creative decline (my favorite all time knee jerk, bat shit crazy post of all time)

Jeff is such an ego maniac he will force Nels out of the band

The 50 repetitions of 'I don't care anymore' in You Never Know ruin the song. (Wait...it's only 16 times...doesn't matter. It still grates).

Wilco sold out by allowing songs to be used in Volkswagen commercials...oh wait a minute. Ray Lamontagne did it for a bank? Feist? The Flaming Lips? Well, uh, doesn't matter...Wilco's sell out was more sell outy.

(and from Alan's reminder) Jeff hasn't written a good song nor made a good album since he kicked the pain killers

The internets is the new Wild Wild West. If you don't keep a little perspective, you end up screaming at your laptop.

Edited by Crow Daddy Magnus®
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope he does read it...some of those claims listed are arguable, but only for the masterbatory sake of doing so...part of loving a band is loving it for all its triumphs and whiffs. some folks come up with nonsense out of the idleness of their easy stimulated brains. some folk simply cant get enough, or expect simply too much from other humans. speculation and debate are natural...what the crazy ones do, they do out of love...

i always remind my bandmates than the word 'fan' comes from the word 'fanatic'...

as for the wild west remark, maybe...i think the internet is more like the movie 'deliverance'

I know that Jeff read the board during the whole Charleston reschedule fiasco. At the concert he talked about how he didn't know why everyone was making such a big deal out of it.. But the guy on the front row wearing a SNL T-shirt was just brilliant. :lol

I can't get past this. What the fuck is "cancn"?

Misspelled canon...

maybe he'll read them and get so depressed it'll drive him to start in on the pain meds again. Causing him to once again write incredible music.....

:devil :bounce8 :hyper

jk lol

Damnit...that's one I forgot (and it was an actual post too...was it you?)

Misspelled canon...

Damnit...that's one I forgot (and it was an actual post too...was it you?)

No, it wasn't.

And I never said this "Wilco should cover some other artist's record in its entireity because they are boring live". I always find it odd when people distort what others have said to make an argument.

No, it wasn't.

And I never said this "Wilco should cover some other artist's record in its entireity because they are boring live".

It's a humor post dude...a little literary license is to be expected.

Tongue in cheek. right.

There you go...

Guest Black Witcher

I hope that Jeff reads this board and takes it to heart.

The world is only big enough for one Steely Dan and they still do a fine job of bieng themselves.

Wilco should do the same.

I agree with everything in the original post except for the painkilers and Jay Bennett stuff.

Don't forget that Summerteeth is ridiculously overproduced with many a trite arrangement, Wilco (TS) is a novelty song that should never have gotten close to an album, I'll Fight rips off On and On and On and has many a trite lyric, You & I is just trite....

On any message board for anything there's going to be a bit of dissent, while I understand your problem, Crow, I think this and the several other times you've brought this up are a bit of an overreaction. It's not like the reaction to even the last two albums have been uniformly negative, and certainly haven't been that different than the way say the Radiohead board reacted to In Rainbows.

The current direction of the band just doesn't sync up with the way some people who post here want them to sound, but it's been that way on every record since AM, and it's that way with any large fanbase on the internet. People like to complain, and people like to use to computers, welcome to the internet. I wouldn't take anything anyone says seriously at all, cause quite frankly if any of us actually knew what we were talking about, we'd have our own bands, with our own boards, with our own fans bitching about our new direction.

But for every Black Wiltcher thread, there's one like I Love Sky Blue Sky, you can always find exactly what you want to find here.

--Mike

btw: Tweedy just sent me a PM, he's actually here and posting as futureage1, these are just the facts.

You know, all of that said- I realize why I post less on here lately. I sometimes feel as a Wilco fan, it's nice not to come around here. I love listening to the band, I love talking to a lot of you about the band, I love getting a heads up about new side-projects, recordings, tours, etc. But, sometimes wading through a lot of tepid whining about the band is not worth the time. I could just listen to them, or something else, or make my own music (or insert any preferable activity).

This is not written to antagonize anyone, I'm sure there's a good percentage of folks here who feel the same, and for the others (I don't mean to call you a whiner), you're entitled to interact with an open forum and post your opinion. That's freedom, go on with your bad self. It just leads me to choose not to bother sometimes.

Guest Speed Racer

On any message board for anything there's going to be a bit of descent

Some days here the grade is certainly steeper than others. ;)

while I understand your problem, Crow, I think this and the several other times you've brought this up are a bit of an overreaction. It's not like the reaction to even the last two albums have been uniformly negative, and certainly haven't been that different than the way say the Radiohead board reacted to In Rainbows.

Agreed. Discussing new material is one thing, but a hyperbolic thread reacting to people's reactions is just stirring the shit, and that activity is better done in biffs than message boards. Though it's certainly more tempting to do it in the latter rather than the former.