Just got out of a 3 year relationship involuntarily and want to drown out the voices in my head with the collective pain of musicians who have been there before me...

so far my break up album library includes:

Beck - Sea Change

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Ryan Adams - Heart Breaker

what am i missing VC?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a good start with those 3. Here's a few more:

Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights

Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear

Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love

Mendoza Line - 30 Year Low

The ultimate (for me):

Flying Burrito Brothers - "Hot Burrito #1 (I'm Your Toy)"

Sorry to hear about your breakup, Ben. I've been there; we all have. It'll get better.

The Smiths

All of Will/Bonnie Prince Billy's "I See a Darkness" album, for general wallowing in sadness.

:wub

Keeping with all things Will Oldham:

Superwolf – I Gave You

Will Oldham – New Partner – for when you find that lucky new someone. Though, it’s been said that this song is a murder ballad, so there’s also that…

Then, of course, I made this mix:

A collection of songs that I like that, in one way or another, say "FUCK YOU!".

And not a Dylan song in sight.

cashfinger-big.jpg

FUCK YOU!

Tracklisting:

H-A-T-R-E-D - Tonio K.

It's Business As Usual - Barry Adamson

All You Do is Talk - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Take This Job And Shove It - Johnny Paycheck

Jackson - Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better - The Byrds

You're Breaking My Heart - Harry Nilsson

I'll Be Gone - Papas Fritas

Guts - John Cale

Your Fucking Sunny Day - Lambchop

These Boots are Made for Walking - The Birthday Party

Stay With Me - Faces

To go along with Blood On The Tracks I would recommend the live album 'Hard Rain'. That was recorded at a pretty bitter time in their relationship. If I recall, Sara had turned up to the show and was standing on the side of the stage. Dylan was singing 'One Too Manay Mornings' and change the lyrics to "I've no right to be here...and you've no right to stay untill we both one too many mornings and a thousand miles away". Nice. There's also a pretty nasty version of Idiot Wind on the record too.

Wasn't there a huge thread on this at some point? Not that I care that you've created a new one, but there are a buttload of songs in the other thread. If my search powers were better I'd look.

more likely than not, i will make a mix of break up songs this weekend to help deal with all these feelings i am feeling. Single songs are also appreciated. Man. what a thing to deal with.

To start the cd off right, i think i will go with Who Loves the Sun - Velvet Underground.

I was listening to some wilco songs for a while, but wilco is a band we kind of discovered together or at least grew to love together. More accurately, i turned her onto wilco and dylan. and now i feel weird listening to them. i turned her on to a lot of the music i love. and now that music feels kinda dirty. so it goes.

I was listening to some wilco songs for a while, but wilco is a band we kind of discovered together or at least grew to love together. More accurately, i turned her onto wilco and dylan. and now i feel weird listening to them. i turned her on to a lot of the music i love. and now that music feels kinda dirty. so it goes.

I think that's a pretty common feeling... You'll probably always associate that music with her in some way, but it's not a terrible thing. If you're a big enough fan, you'll probably go on to share those same songs with someone else, and someone else after that. But obviously that's a ways off.

I mentioned The Wrens earlier, but if you're going for specific songs, try "She Sends Kisses", "13 Months in 6 Minutes", "Hopeless", and if you really want your heart to fall out of your chest, "This is Not What You Had Planned." I feel cruel even suggesting them right now, but few bands have been fucked around worse than those guys.

And if you're into folk/country, Richard Buckner got me through a really fucking awful winter last year... Bloomed and Devotion + Doubt are the albums to look for, any song off either really, but for specific tracks: "4 AM", "Six Years", "Song of 27", "This is Where", "Lil Wallet Picture", "Ed's Song", "Mud", and many more.

Finally, the best thing you can really do is to be around friends and try not to wallow too much.

We had broken up for good just an hour before

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

Now I'm staring at the bodies as they're dancing 'cross the floor

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

And then the band slowed the tempo when the music took you down

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

It was the same old song with the melancholy sound

They don't write 'em like that anymore

They don't write 'em like that anymore

We been living together for a million years / ...

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

But now it feels so strange out in the atmospheres / ...

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

And then the jukebox plays a song I used to know / ...

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

And now I'm staring at the bodies as they're dancing so slow / ...

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

Now I wind up staring at an empty glass / ...

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

'Cause it's so easy to say that you'll forget your past / ...

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh