Tyler quits Aerosmith?

link

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but it's Aerosmith, so maybe no one cares.

Steven Tyler quits Aerosmith

Steven Tyler has reportedly quit the rock group Aerosmith.

The 61-year-old frontman is said to have left the band after performing in Abu Dhabi last month.

His bandmates say they have not heard from him since.

Guitarist Joe Perry told the Las Vegas Sun newspaper: "Steven quit as far as I can tell. I don't know anymore than you do about it. I got off the plane two nights ago. I saw online that Steven said that he was going to leave the band."

Perry claims Tyler has refused to take his phone calls to let the rest of the band know what's going on.

Perry said the band - who were forced to cancel shows earlier this year after Tyler was taken to hospital after falling ill during one concert - are now looking for a replacement.

Paging Joe Perry: this is a big neon sign telling you to pack it in. Without Tyler, there is no Aerosmith.

If you decide to go through with it anyway, maybe you should contact Gary Cherone.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They haven't been so good since they got clean, anyway. What is that? 20 years? 25 years?

Still, good for them for cashing in; they deserved it. And now, they'll live to enjoy it.

Guest Speed Racer

Oh god, thank you! I didn't want to get razzed, haha.

As stupid as it is to say this, Aerosmith was my first band. When Nine Lives came out in 1997, I saw the music video for Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees) and my life just completely changed. Before the end of the year, I had purchased all the Aerosmith that was out at that time (20 CDs plus a box set?) with baby-sitting money. I was nuts. When I saw the music video for Crazy, I realized two things in one giant, clouds parting, angels singing epiphany: Aerosmith was, like, the best band ever; and SWEET JESUS I was interested in girls. I bought their biography (also out in 1998) and read it cover to cover over, over, and over again.

I thankfully got over my obsession around 2000, but they were the first band I fell for, and I never knew I could love music as much as I did when I loved Aerosmith.

I don't follow the band anymore, but Joe Perry has been doing FINE with the his solo work. I wouldn't mind at all if he started touring with the rest of the band as the Joe Perry Project, or simply Joe Perry, and if they want to keep playing arenas, that's really the only option the other three have.

Tyler is equally done for without them, but I still think he'll be playing arenas until he plays the great arena in the sky.

When I saw the music video for Crazy, I realized two things in one giant, clouds parting, angels singing epiphany: Aerosmith was, like, the best band ever; and SWEET JESUS I was interested in girls.

:lol After that video, I think everyone was interested in girls. Or at least those two girls.

crazy.jpg

Guest Speed Racer

:lol After that video, I think everyone was interested in girls. Or at least those two girls.

Within a week of seeing the video, I saw That Thing You Do!, and Liv Tyler was just - wow. I was so, so smitten with her - maybe even more so than I was Aerosmith.

link

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but it's Aerosmith, so maybe no one cares.

Paging Joe Perry: this is a big neon sign telling you to pack it in. Without Tyler, there is no Aerosmith.

If you decide to go through with it anyway, maybe you should contact Gary Cherone.

There was a time when I could actually muster give a fuck for this band. Not for a long time.

I wonder if Steven has fallen off the wagon.

They haven't been so good since they got clean, anyway. What is that? 20 years? 25 years?

Still, good for them for cashing in; they deserved it. And now, they'll live to enjoy it.

Ouch...

I am always uncomfortable with the 'They haven't been so good since they got clean' statements. But if truth be told, they haven't been good for two albums before they broke up the first time.

Guest Speed Racer

I am always uncomfortable with the 'They haven't been so good since they got clean' statements. But if truth be told, they haven't been good for two albums before they broke up the first time.

Honestly, I think Pump, Get a Grip and Nine Lives are right up there in quality with self-titled, Toys and Rocks. Modern Rock v. classic rock of course, and the guitar work was years better on the early stuff, but the songs are still pretty great. Live! Bootleg is one of the better live albums I've ever heard - Mother Popcorn is fucking amazing.

Their b-sides are really great, too. Chip Away the Stone, Riff and Roll, Shithouse Shuffle, Major Barbara and a few others off of Pandora's Box...I've also loved their instrumentals - Boogie Man off of Get a Grip is pretty cool.

In their later years they were always, always better with their team of writers, but the songs were still pretty awesome.

edited to add:

Classics! Live, Classics! Live II, and Rock in a Hard Place are the "Britney Shaves Her Head!" portion of Aerosmith's catalogue, and were always worthy listens to me for the pure train wreck of it all. I still kind of like "Push Come to Shove," which closes Rock in a Hard Place.

Alicia was the bomb. But Liv got much more desireable later. Like much later, in Lord Of The Rings etc.

It's a bit creepy to think how young Liv was when her dad put her in Crazy.

Guest Speed Racer

It's a bit creepy to think how young Liv was when her dad put her in Crazy.

[/size]

Steven has never been anything but a shameless self-promoter, which is part of the reason they continue to do as well as they do - seeking out writing partners when they started to suck (in part due to Sony's $30 mil. contract from the early 90's), embracing all sorts of new technology and name-dropping worse than Weezer to try to stay current.

What I mean to say is, I think he was doing what he thought was the kindest thing he could do for her - putting her out there the way he would himself if he thought it would serve the band.

10:06 AM

me: http://www.boston.co...uits_aerosmith/

me: "(Perry)said: "As far as replacing Steve... We'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer and then we'll be able to move the Aerosmith up a notch, move the vibe up a notch.""

Sean: "probably"

me: "We'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer" ?

Sean: now i have Rag Doll stuck in my head

me: I have Dude Looks Like Lady "ya-ka-ka-kaw!"

Sean: "ya never see me comin' out the back door, maaaan"

me: "sket doo deh, bumb bumb bahp"

Sean: "babay wontcha do me babay wontcha do me"

me: "hebb biddy boopity boopity bow-wop"

Sean: good luck replacing that

me: haha

Guest Speed Racer

me: "sket doo deh, bumb bumb bahp"

Sean: "babay wontcha do me babay wontcha do me"

me: "hebb biddy boopity boopity bow-wop"

Sean: good luck replacing that

me: haha

I think it's fair to say he has suffered from scat-related incontinence as he has aged.

SJ_Shoulder_Shrug.jpg

That's kind of how I feel. A half shrug about to applaud. And no I'm not a 70 year old sex therapist seen on beyond late night tv.

As someone from the Boston area, I guess I'm one of the few who never really like them.

Edit: Granted, I feel bad for the diehard Aerosmith fans. Although, the cynic in me feels like this is the beginning of a long scheme leading up to the next summer concert season where they announce their reunion/farewell tour that will last 2-3 years. :ninja

Guest Speed Racer

Edit: Granted, I feel bad for the diehard Aerosmith fans.

I feel much better for them now than I did regarding their post-1997 releases. :lol

Those who have been around for a while are probably ready for it, and the newcomers aren't halfway through the back catalogue yet. I can't imagine anyone getting too broken up about it.

Aerosmith had one really good song a while back but I can't think what it is right now.

i guess it comes down to yr particular appetite for hard rock, but they had a string of records to be proud of.

dream on

draw the line

lord of the thighs

seasons of wither

no more no more

lick and a promise

sweet emotion

some good stuff there for sure.

I hate to be one to contribute to the "they were better when they were stoned" mentality. But yeah, in this case, they really were.

I hate to be one to contribute to the "they were better when they were stoned" mentality. But yeah, in this case, they really were.

You should hear/see some footage of the Night In The Ruts tour, or Rock in a Hard Place tour. They were falling apart.

I'd say it was more due to the fact that the music business had changed. MTV changed everything - so Aerosmith changed so they could have hit songs and hit albums. That is nothing new, and it still goes on to this day. MTV and/or Videos are no longer important, but a polished song is still more likely to become a hit more than something that is nice and ratty.

Now, I began listening to the band around 1976 or so, so I prefer the old stuff. But, if I had got into them around the video hit years, the music they made around that time would probably make sense to me. A lot of bands used Desmond Child to write songs, not just Aerosmith.

And really, like a lot of other bands what they did on record, and what they did live, is really two different things.

And, Brad Whitford is the man.

Combination

Nobody's Fault

Lord Of The Thighs (live)

Draw The Line (live)