Tyler quits Aerosmith?

I am not really that bothered. I always felt he was a bit like an embarrassing uncle at a wedding to be honest. Kiss and Aerosmith were, to me, the quintessential American bands...bands who never made it really on this side of the world and were looked upon by those of us who were brought up on The Clash, Joy Division and The Smiths as a bit of a joke really.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really that bothered. I always felt he was a bit like an embarrassing uncle at a wedding to be honest. Kiss and Aerosmith were, to me, the quintessential American bands...bands who never made it really on this side of the world and were looked upon by those of us who were brought up on The Clash, Joy Division and The Smiths as a bit of a joke really.

Kiss is a bit of a joke, methinks. More of a marketing strategy than a band; or at least in equal parts. Aerosmith, once upon a time, were a great rock band. Maybe not as good as Thin Lizzy, but certainly in the same league.

Kiss... not so much.

I take your point completely. I never really listened to them much and the later stuff was pretty anodyne "hair rock" and does nothing for me. Give me Pantera anyday.

I suppose I was on much the same tip as American "youngsters" but with Lizzy and the NWOBHM acts more in my line of fire. I presume if I was living in the States in those formative years I would have been listening to vastly different stuff than I ended up listening to.

10:06 AM

me: http://www.boston.co...uits_aerosmith/

me: "(Perry)said: "As far as replacing Steve... We'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer and then we'll be able to move the Aerosmith up a notch, move the vibe up a notch.""

Sean: "probably"

me: "We'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer" ?

Sean: now i have Rag Doll stuck in my head

me: I have Dude Looks Like Lady "ya-ka-ka-kaw!"

Sean: "ya never see me comin' out the back door, maaaan"

me: "sket doo deh, bumb bumb bahp"

Sean: "babay wontcha do me babay wontcha do me"

me: "hebb biddy boopity boopity bow-wop"

Sean: good luck replacing that

me: haha

You guys are so cute together.

I loved Aerosmith when I was 9. Pump and Get a Grip were awesome. I saw them live on the Nine Lives tour and at the time I had fun. After that I stopped listening to them and starting listen to Wilco...rest is history as they say. As far as Tyler quitting I wonder if he was holding on until they did that show in Hawaii they got sued for. If he didn't do that show they would have owed $$$!

Guest Speed Racer

Do you see Ellen Feiss or a turkey? I see different avatars on different computers for some reason...

That being said, I think I speak for all of us when I say I've been held captive by the worst songs in the band's catalogue since the news broke.

Steven Tyler has reportedly quit the rock group Aerosmith.

The 61-year-old frontman is said to have left the band after performing in Abu Dhabi last month.

there's some iron-clad journalism

Guest Speed Racer

there's some iron-clad journalism

The full story, if it's the AP one, quotes an interview with Tyler and an interview with Perry, as well as some quotes from Brad Whitford. No one has said a thing either way, but Perry has come out and said that, though they have played a few shows recently, he hasn't spoken directly to Tyler in months.

Do you see Ellen Feiss or a turkey? I see different avatars on different computers for some reason...

That being said, I think I speak for all of us when I say I've been held captive by the worst songs in the band's catalogue since the news broke.

Guest Speed Racer

What does this guy have to do with Aerosmith?

Oh, how I love Josh Lyman. :wub Almost as much as I loved Aerosmith back in the day. The only connection between the BW's is the one in my heart.

"Rocks" is my favorite with "Toys" a close second. I always liked the story below.

How Aerosmith's Rocks Changed My Life

By Slash

Harp Magazine

Alright, it was Aerosmith’s Rocks, and I first heard it when I was about 14 years old. I used to race BMX bikes and the older guys put it on, and it just grabbed me—F%@&, this is bad. I only got to hear it for like a second the first time. The second time I heard it was—there was this girl that used to hang around a certain group of friends, and she was probably the best-looking girl in school and in the neighborhood, and she’d just broken up with her boyfriend. I tried desperately to pick this girl up for the longest time, and finally she invited me up to her house.

I was aspiring to get in this girl’s pants, more or less, so I go up to her room, and she’s got tapestries on the wall and incense and pot, her stereo—a typical teenage-girl’s room at the time. She put on some records; we listened to Zeppelin; we listened to Yes; and then finally she put this record on that I recognized immediately from like the first f%&*#n’ note.

It was Rocks. I must’ve listened to this record in that girl’s—her name was Lori—bedroom probably a half-dozen times, from front to back, over and over again, and I completely ignored her. The whole purpose of my being there completely went out the window. Finally I think she said, “I think it’s time for you to go.” And I was like, “Okay, see ya.” I got on my bike and I took off and she never spoke to me again.

Guest Speed Racer

So, it is really No Surprise that they are fighting.

Christ, what a horrible pun. When Push Comes to Shove, you never really know where to Draw the Line, do you? Chip Away the Stone and it's the Same Old Song and Dance with you.

The turkey one - photoshop a dirty blond wig and a pair of oversize grandma sunglasses and you have:

tylergross.jpg

Christ, what a horrible pun. When Push Comes to Shove, you never really know where to Draw the Line, do you? Chip Away the Stone and it's the Same Old Song and Dance with you.

I am glad to see a young person such as yourself knowing a thing or two about Aerosmith. You may someday be the Last Child, and it will be up to you to carry everyone thorough the Seasons of Wither America will face in a world without Aerosmith.

(Although actually I bet they get that German dude to sing, or pick someone out of a Aerosmith tribute band.)

Guest Speed Racer

I am glad to see a young person such as yourself knowing a thing or two about Aerosmith. You may someday be the Last Child, and it will be up to you to carry everyone thorough the Seasons of Wither America will face in a world without Aerosmith.

I Wanna Know Why there's a Hole in My Soul without Aerosmith. I thought I had What it Takes to live without them, but instead I'm F.I.N.E. A-Man, take me to the Other Side, get this Monkey Off My Back.

Why, O Why, did Perry have to bite The Hand That Feeds?

I would much rather be the Lord of the Thighs than the Last Child, but I'm just glad to be honored with a title at all.

Well, I didn't want to go there.

I had that book you were talking about. I got it for 2 bucks from some junk table in a book store. I gave it to a friend of mine. She is a big Aerosmith fan and use to go see them all over the country.

I think I still have a print of the Toys in the Attic album cover that a friend of mine did in art class around 1978 or so.

I think Night in the Ruts is a great album. I even own Rock In A Hard Place (on vinyl!). The last one I bought was Done With Mirrors (the original pressing had all of the text backwards).

Wait - that is not true. I have Permanent Vacation.

Joe Perry's Twitter

Aerosmith not splitting up. Promise that's the last you'll hear from me on the subject till we gear up again.

OK, right off the bat Aerosmith never was or will be Zeppelin, The Stones, The Who, etc., but if you were in high school in the mid/late '70s they were an undeniably important hard rock band - "America's Rolling Stones" if you will. My first record was Get Your Wings and I bought the records up through Ruts.

I saw three tours: July '77, October '78 and December '79. The last time was w/o Joe and it was not nearly as exciting to me. After that I had moved on. Other bands (you know which ones, wink wink) captured my attention. But for awhile there they really had some great songs.

I am in the Pop Todd camp of " they started to suck when they went 12-steppin'". Although MTV is to blame as well (again). :ohwell