Yeah, but Mike Cameron? And Ortiz. Theo seems to have lost his touch for knowing when players are past their prime. There's not gonna be a lot of room for error in the AL East this year, but to be realistic, every team in that division not named the New York Yankees are playing for the wild card anyways.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I came in here and it sounds like WEEI (local a.m. Boston station).

No need to hit the panic button, folks! Didn't the Yankees drop 8 in a row to the Red Sox last year before the All Star Break? They turned out ok? :shifty

Although, I do think that Ortiz, Lowell, & Varitek will be gone at year's end. If not 2 of the 3 gone by July. And Bill Hall will be disposed of in mystic river by Sean Penn and his henchmen.

Actually, the Sox should be 0-8 in this opening homestand. The opening night game was handed to them on that wild pitch from the Yankees' Octavio Dotel or Damaso Marte (?? too lazy to look it up).

It's still way too early and who knows really. The Shadow knows. They played without Ellsbury and Cameron had his "kidney stone" issues to miss a few games.

I think this will wake them up early in the season and make Thirsty Theo take a second gander at what he has to work with to get the Wild Card. It helps that they are going to play the Rangers and Orioles now. Good timing there. Unless if they get swept. :stunned

Still a Red Sox fan and not nervous at all. :mellow

Edit: It could be happenstance or losing on purpose (they looked like they would rather be at RENT), but maybe they want Theo to go out and get Adrian Gonzalez?

Once this team begins to gel and get hot watch out.

Yeah, but Mike Cameron? And Ortiz. Theo seems to have lost his touch for knowing when players are past their prime. There's not gonna be a lot of room for error in the AL East this year, but to be realistic, every team in that division not named the New York Yankees are playing for the wild card anyways.

Eh, I think it's more of an economic thing and what was out there at the time to keep Lowell and Ortiz on board. The Globe reported that Jason Bay didn't do too good on his physical exam re: his knees and shoulder, so they passed on him. (of course that could be a lie too, so they don't have to reach into their wallets) And I don't think they made much of an effort on Matt Holliday.

Theo has always seemed to shop in the bargain basement bin of the MLB: Wade Miller (anyone remember this guy? If so PM me for your prize), John Smoltz, Brad Penny, Mark Loretta (great player. Pretty much 1 year rental until Dustin Pedroia came up), J.T. Snow, John Olerud, & how could I forget the one and only David Wells.

I think Beltre & Cameron are both "rentals" until a better option comes up. Either in July or in the off season. Probably the off season, since they're pretty expensive "rentals".

RE: Ortiz: Sometimes I think GMs like to keep someone like that on to prove to the fans that they aren't doing so great and then they dump him. You know, not get rid of him before opening day and then he does amazing in someplace like K.C., Baltimore or Texas. This happened with Mark Bellhorn ( I think he's working at the driving range). They dropped him around the All Star Break in 2005.

IKE116.jpg

too much east coast bias going on here. One mention of Ubaldo Jimenez's no-hitter. The scary thing about his no-hitter is that he wasnt even throwing his best stuff. 6 walks, rough first 5 innings.. but he has 3 devasting pitches so i wasnt surprised he achieved a no-hitter, but i was surprised he did it against Atlanta, a team that looks real good this year. Jimenez will probably get another no-hitter before his career is over. He's becoming one of the better pitchers in the NL.

Candlestick had turf in the '70s. That's how I first knew it (from television). Fortunately they'd switched to grass by '79, when I saw a doubleheader there.

Ha! I just saw this in The Enforcer in a scene where the mayor is attending a Giants game. I've seen this movie a few times before, but I always figured this was an alternate site for the movie shoot, as they never actually show the ballplayers. It looks terrible in the movie, too.

too much east coast bias going on here. One mention of Ubaldo Jimenez's no-hitter. The scary thing about his no-hitter is that he wasnt even throwing his best stuff. 6 walks, rough first 5 innings.. but he has 3 devasting pitches so i wasnt surprised he achieved a no-hitter, but i was surprised he did it against Atlanta, a team that looks real good this year. Jimenez will probably get another no-hitter before his career is over. He's becoming one of the better pitchers in the NL.

It was a bit of a sloppy no-hitter, early on, at least. I actually broke custom of never taking a starting pitcher from the Rox and took him on a Fantasy team this year. I liked how he adjusted his delivery to go out of the stretch ag=fter those rough first five innings. The guy's got an amazing arm. Good for him and the Rockies. It's always great to watch one (I was able to watch most, even while eating dinner at a restaurant- being in Denver they turned the volume up on the game after the 7th) no matter what team it is....

MLB Network on XM is reporting another player suspension for PED use will be announced soon by MLB. They don't know the player's name, though. Anyone heard any local rumors?

10107522.jpg

Proof is in the pudding, folks.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/04/rockies-president-keli-mcgregor-found-dead-in-hotel-room/1

Colorado Rockies president Keli McGregor was found dead in his hotel room in Salt Lake City this morning, police told the Associated Press.

Detective Rick Wall said two of McGregor's associates couldn't reach him this morning and that someone entered his room to find McGregor, 48, unconscious, according to AP. Wall added that police were called at 11 a.m. ET and that the investigation has been turned over to the medical examiner's office.

"We didn't see anything suspicious," Wall told the Denver Post. "He did pass away of natural causes. The official cause of death will be investigated by the Salt Lake City Medical Examiner's Office."

McGregor was in his ninth season as Rockies president and had been with the franchise for 17 years. He was a two-time All-American tight end at Colorado State and was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round of the 1985 draft. He appeared in eight games for the Broncos and Colts in 1985. He also was a coach at the University of Florida from 1988 to '89 and was an associate athletic director at the University of Arkansas.

He is survived by his wife, Lori, and four children, daughters Jordan, Taylor and Landri and son Logan.

MLB Network on XM is reporting another player suspension for PED use will be announced soon by MLB. They don't know the player's name, though. Anyone heard any local rumors?

XM now reports it's Reds RHP Edison Volquez. He has been slapped for a 50 game suspension. Is he even back from his TJ surgery yet?

Mike Cameron - Out for 4-6 weeks with an abdominal tear (some are reporting strain).

Matt Cameron is resting up for his tour(s) with Pearl Jam and then Sound Garden.

Kirk Cameron is doing relatively well. One would assume.

XM now reports it's Reds RHP Edison Volquez. He has been slapped for a 50 game suspension. Is he even back from his TJ surgery yet?

He will, apparently, serve the suspension while on the DL.

So he loses about 120k, but doesn't miss any games.

He will, apparently, serve the suspension while on the DL.

So he loses about 120k, but doesn't miss any games.

That seems to be on par with the history of the MLB drug program. With Volquez having been traded for Josh Hamilton will that trade become known as a "drug deal?"

How about that Mike Pelfrey? Unexpected, this is.:dancing

The MLBPA does not fuck around when it comes to negotiating.

If Ben Roethlesberger had pursued baseball rather than football, he'd still be knocking 'em out in toilets in Georgia.

They're Mets fans, at what I am guessing is Shea, unless Citi Field has degenerated that quickly.