• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waking.jpg

For some reason, and I have no idea why, I was thinking about this movie this morning. When I first saw it, it just seemed like people having boring philosophical discussions and nothing happens. That kind of thing might be more interesting (or, perhaps less) to me now. It's worth a second chance, in any case.

Guest Speed Racer

I love this one, and watch it probably once a month. It's right up there with Forrest Gump for me in terms of favorites. I imagine I've probably seen this nearly 100 times at this point:

that_thing_you_do_ver2.jpg

For some reason, and I have no idea why, I was thinking about this movie this morning. When I first saw it, it just seemed like people having boring philosophical discussions and nothing happens. That kind of thing might be more interesting (or, perhaps less) to me now. It's worth a second chance, in any case.

Yeah, there's definitely an element of that. I thought it was so far removed from a lot of the popcorn fare that it was fresh in its own right, and the discussions were interesting while not exactly blowing my mind - more along the lines "this is exactly the sorts of conversations people have, and it feels very real to me because of that..."

Definitely not paced like a popcorn flick, though, that's for sure.

Guest Speed Racer

Yeah, there's definitely an element of that. I thought it was so far removed from a lot of the popcorn fare that it was fresh in its own right, and the discussions were interesting while not exactly blowing my mind - more along the lines "this is exactly the sorts of conversations people have, and it feels very real to me because of that..."

As far as that kind of idea is concerned, this one is much better for me:

coffee_and_cigarettes_ver2.jpg

9803.jpgright_stuff_ver1.jpg

Cormac McCarthy movies are always great...but the books are obviousy much, much better (waiting for Child of God)

And, the Right Stuff is a classic western/frontier movie modernized with great acting by Sam Sheppard and Ed Harris...plus a great book by Tom Wolfe.

EDIT: I now know The Right Stuff is an Oscar winner...still considered underrated?

babe-pig-in-the-city-dvd.jpg

Just as good as the first one. It was just very poorly marketed -- as a kids' movie -- and it was NOT a kid's movie. Really dark and ominous. But outstanding, on its own terms.

A lot of you don't understand the concept of 'underrated'. Movies that got nominated for an academy award or had a good box office aren't what I call underrate.

Underrated movies are Good movies that didn't get released...they escaped.

242103.1020.A.jpg

outlander.jpg

Guest Runaway Jim

Red Rock West

Hopper, Cage, L.F. Boyle, & Dwight Yoakum cameo

I've never seen that one (just added it to my queue) but I've liked pretty much everything I've seen from John Dahl.

Red Rock West

Hopper, Cage, L.F. Boyle, & Dwight Yoakum cameo

I remember watching this on HBO when I was a teenager in the 90s.

If I'm not mistaken, don't you see Nicolas Cage's penis as Lara Flynn Boyle goes down there to find his Matchstick Man?

RE: The Definition Of Underrated: I agree with what Crow Daddy wrote. I think a better thread title would have been

Films You Love That People May Not Be Aware Of (ok..maybe not)

or

Under The Radar Films

I almost listed Mulholland Drive & The Thin Red Line but both are Academy Award nominated which really means nothing down the road, since most people remember the winners. If anything my list of 20 are somewhat "cult" films or soon to be "cult" films which I feel is a really special cultural phenom because most films have a shelf life of like 2 years before they exit the public consciousness (read: any 2 weeker in a theater that comes and goes to make quick cash or sometimes none at all & then repeats that cycle on DVD). Films that live on in the DVD format really make a statement as a word of mouth type of film.

But re: Outlander...I actually saw that in a movie theater last January. It was AWESOME!!

On a side note, I'm tempted to start the Yang to this Ying thread.

Overrated Films, but I'm afraid to open that can of worms on this board. :upset

A lot of you don't understand the concept of 'underrated'. Movies that got nominated for an academy award or had a good box office aren't what I call underrate.

I'm using a pretty broad definition. Empire of the Sun, for example, is underrated because it didn't win any Oscars (0 for 6), and Spielberg's made movies that were far more successful and have won far more awards. So by those standards, it's underrated.

Basically movies that go here are ones that people think are pretty great, but don't often get touted as such. They can be movies that were theatrically released, too. Sorry Crow, them's the breaks.