• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Nicolas Cage's Matchstick Man

I remember the scene vividly as a teenage boy watching this on HBO (as I stated) late at night and when I saw "IT" I didn't know what type of movie I was secretly watching.

Here is a recount of the scene in spoilers, so I won't breach NSFW protocol

Nicolas Cage makes out with Lara Flynn Boyle and she's on top of him. She takes off her top and she unbuttons his pants. As she begins to go down on him you see what appears to be his penis lying on his stomach. Then she kisses that area. This made me like Lara Flynn before she went all thin. Hey, it sure beat playing Nintendo. :shifty

So I did some research on youtube. I'm pretty sure that it's there. The only other thing would be his left side of his pants by his zipper.

OK. Enough about this topic. :mellow

I just wanted to prove that I wasn't imagining things 20 years ago.

I'm not haunted by Nicolas Cage's penis for the record. :no

This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the spit that hits Kramer's face.

Disclaimer: Of course there's sarcasm and satire in the preceding account.

Whenever this topic comes up in conversation I always mention the following:

Joe_vs_volcano.jpg

...and I've yet to meet a person that says, "you know what...you're right!" People always lump it in with the whole 80's Hanks/Ryan thing, silly and frivolous because that's how they marketed it, but there is some depth to this movie. It's not really a comedy. But hey, what are you going to do? Other than a really ridiculous scene involving a fake shark, I think it's brilliant.

Am I the only one has a really hard time remembering names/details of movies, even those i loved, from years ago? For the record, I usually drink while watching a movie (though not especially heavily - of the 'splitting the bottle of wine' type).

Rachel Getting Married

500 Days of Summer (which I expected to HATE but really liked, but maybe that skews my recollection)

and, yeah, I cant remember the rest..... at least not right now :)

I was going to say "Sweet and Lowdown", since it seems to be a forgotten movie amongst the overwhelming blizzard of Woody Allen films. But then I realized it received two academy Award nominations, so it can't be considered underrated.

I really enjoyed this movie but was distracted a bit too much by Sean Penn's horrible pretend guitar playing.

These films have stuck with me over the years, yet not many people seem to have seen them. That's how I define underrated. :pirate

The Return

the-return.jpg

Polly Jean Harvey as Mary Magdalene? How could it not be tremendous?

The Book of Life

9618-PG.jpg

And by far the most disturbing film I've ever seen. (And if I recall correctly, no dialogue.)

Begotten

begotten.jpg

Whenever this topic comes up in conversation I always mention the following:

Joe_vs_volcano.jpg

...and I've yet to meet a person that says, "you know what...you're right!" People always lump it in with the whole 80's Hanks/Ryan thing, silly and frivolous because that's how they marketed it, but there is some depth to this movie. It's not really a comedy. But hey, what are you going to do? Other than a really ridiculous scene involving a fake shark, I think it's brilliant.

Hey...you know what....You're right! It's really kinda dark. Plus, any chance to see Abe Vigoda is worthwhile.

I'm using a pretty broad definition. Empire of the Sun, for example, is underrated because it didn't win any Oscars (0 for 6), and Spielberg's made movies that were far more successful and have won far more awards. So by those standards, it's underrated.

Basically movies that go here are ones that people think are pretty great, but don't often get touted as such. They can be movies that were theatrically released, too. Sorry Crow, them's the breaks.

My dry humor doesn't translate well to the interwebs, does it?

When I saw the title of this thread that is the first film that popped into my head.

It's great - and it's been too long since I have seen it.

Great soundtrack (by Mark Knopfler) too.

Yeah the soundtrack is fantastic. I watched the film again recently and it is beautiful, a little dated in places, but apart from that I love it.

Has anyone seen the films 'Smoke' and 'Blue In The Face'. They are the brainchild of the auther Paul Auster and are great little films (he also co-directs). Harvey Keitel is amazing as the cigar shop owner. 'Blue In The Face' also has really good cameo appearances from Lou Reed and Jim Jarmusch. I'm from the U.K but I would imagine anyone from Brooklyn NYC would love these films. They are a homage to the area, which is where Paul Auster lives I believe.

I would recommend both films.

Has anyone seen the films 'Smoke' and 'Blue In The Face'. They are the brainchild of the auther Paul Auster and are great little films (he also co-directs). Harvey Keitel is amazing as the cigar shop owner. 'Blue In The Face' also has really good cameo appearances from Lou Reed and Jim Jarmusch. I'm from the U.K but I would imagine anyone from Brooklyn NYC would love these films. They are a homage to the area, which is where Paul Auster lives I believe.

I would recommend both films.

Yeah, good stuff.

Highway61_3Dfinalsmall.jpg

My dry humor doesn't translate well to the interwebs, does it?

It usually comes off as a fine whine, not too dry, with a delicate bouquet and a hint of of strawberries. ;)

Crow, I know you think I like to start shiz with you, but c'mon, it's a copout to say this:

A lot of you don't understand the concept of 'underrated'. Movies that got nominated for an academy award or had a good box office aren't what I call underrate.

and then make a claim that it's your dry humor being misread when people disagree. Were you really being ironic by writing that? Because it reads like an honest opinion. And if you were being ironic then, does that mean you always are?

I stand by my conviction that Quiz Show is one of the greatest American movies of the '90s.

The scene in Quiz Show with the chocolate cake gets me choked up every time. Every single time.

Crow, I know you think I like to start shiz with you, but c'mon, it's a copout to say this:

and then make a claim that it's your dry humor being misread when people disagree. Were you really being ironic by writing that? Because it reads like an honest opinion. And if you were being ironic then, does that mean you always are?

Probably

But if I say I am always ironic, does hat get me into a bit of a circular arguement kinda thing?

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, directed by Sam Peckinpah. Probably my all-time favorite film. Stars Kris Kristofferson and James Coburn. Lots of Westerns actors in the film, too. Bob Dylan has a bit part that's pretty memorable (and did the soundtrack, too). Come to think of it, the soundtrack/album is underrated, as well.

After Hours. Scorsese film that doesn't get a lot of mention. Camera angles, plot, actors/actresses, wit/humor, etc. all excellent.

3 O'Clock High. Another 80s flick that I'll watch every time if stumbled upon while surfing.

Speaking of Woody Allen (Sweet and Lowdown was posted yesterday. So, yeah.) I'd nominate Match Point. I think that got a modicum of attention, but not nearly enough praise. Much of the early dialogue was wooden, and Scarlett mostly just did Scarlett things (though I found it less annoying in Match Point - maybe I hadn't yet realized how gawd awful she was?); but the Johnathten rhyis-myerers guy (not even gonna try to spell it - isn't it oddly spelled?) was good, as were the detectives, the chick he married and her whole family - and the last 45 minutes were just mind-bendingly awesome! I also got off on the parallels with Crimes and Misdemeanors and Crime and Punishment. Or maybe I just like good Woody too much...

Not to throw in a controversy bomb, but The Passion of the Christ was one of the most well done movies I've ever seen. Though is it underrated? I think it won some awards (yeah, imdb says it won a bunch of bull$hit awards and was, IMO, mostly snubbed by the Oscars - which was a shock.........).. but you never hear it mentioned in the media (at least those media I consume) or by cinefiles (at least those cinefiles I consume). Mel Gibson, blah blah, yeah, I cant really blame anyone for ignoring it - but then people want to sit and praise Roman Polanski... I guess thats a hollywood issue though. I'm done now.