a couple of tidbits I've come across for that day

Josh Ritter (early release of new album on vinyl only for Record Store Day) via josh ritter email

Hold Stady (700 copies available of new album on vinyl for Record Store Day) via muzzleofbees.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any other word on what will be available (i found was john lennon, josh ritter, soundgarden, and sex pistols)? I may make a special trip to Laurie's.

the record store day website says i should follow them on twitter to learn the special releases but i don't do twitter.

any other word on what will be available (i found was john lennon, josh ritter, soundgarden, and sex pistols)? I may make a special trip to Laurie's.

the record store day website says i should follow them on twitter to learn the special releases but i don't do twitter.

the website will post a full list of potentially available items as it gets closer to the day. the past few years have seen distribution issues, which is why I use the words potentially available. Maybe that will be resolved since this is to promote reasons for still going to record stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Some cool stuff coming out that day. I know I'm going to be looking for a copy of that Chronic Town vinyl.

http://recordstoreday.com/Page/836

U.S. Record Store Day releases include:

Beastie Boys, White Label 12-inch (1,000 copies)

Bon Iver/Peter Gabriel, “Come Talk to Me”/”Flume” 7-inch (2,000 copies)

Devo, Duty Now for the Future CD and vinyl reissue (3,000 and 2,500 copies)

Devo, “Fresh”/”What We Do” 12-inch, 45 rpm single (2,500 copies)

Elvis Costello, Live at Hollywood High 7-inch EP reissue (unknown copies)

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Global A Go-Go first-ever vinyl release (1,200 copies)

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Streetcore first-ever vinyl release (1,200 copies)

Joy Division, 4LP box set featuring 180-gram vinyl (820 copies)

Peter Gabriel/Stephin Merritt, “The Book of Love”/”Not One of Us” 7-inch (2,500 copies)

R.E.M., Chronic Town EP reissued on limited-edition blue vinyl (unknown copies)

Ramones, Ramones Mania double-vinyl set, one record blue, other green (1,000 copies)

Sex Pistols, Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle, 180-gram double vinyl set (2,000 copies)

Sonic Youth, Confusion is Sex reissue on pink vinyl (1,500 copies)

Sonic Youth, EVOL reissue on pink vinyl (1,500 copies)

Sonic Youth, Hits Are For Squares double LP of Starbucks compilation (unknown copies)

Soundgarden, “Hunted Down”/”Nothing to Say” translucent 7-inch reissue (3,000 copies)

• 4 weeks later...

Plotting my record day strategy although there are really only a few good record stores left in Denver.

I really want the blue vinyl Chronic Town EP and the pink vinyl Sonic Youth records, I wonder what my chances are.

One of my favorite days of the year.

I'm not too impressed with this year's releases. There's not a whole lot that I need or feel like I have to have. The SY vinyls look nice and I'm interested in the Beach House vinyl but not much else.

i think last year i got the Stooges 7", the Jesus Lizard singles set, MMJ 2x10" and later the GBV 12". oh, and the Wilco DVD. maybe one or two others. i scored one of the SY splits via their website.

i just scanned through and there's about a dozen things i'd pick up...SY's _EVOL_, dum dum girls split 7", BMSR 2x12", hold steady LP, Fela Kuti 10", Wilco's KT, Stones 7", Hendrix 10", Strummer's _Streetcore_...definitely a good way to drop some $.

Last Year's RSD was really great and this year's isn't bad, but nothing feels too demanding of my attention or wallet. I just bought some really great things last year...Plus the stores around here had massive sales but they're not really planning any this year.

I really would like to get the Hold Steady LP but I am thinking that it's gonna be really hard to come by with only 750 being printed up and 400-some odd stores competing for those copies. I wonder if the local stores will even get a copy? I could give a shit about the Wilco LP because I honestly hate that album and never listen to it anyways not to mention the price tag.

The SY albums would be cool to pick up if they are not excessively expensive. They're gonna be available on black 180 anyway after the colored vinyl is sold out...Plus, Sister and another one are being reissued later this year on colored vinyl/black vinyl by the same company and Sister is my favorite SY LP...Confusion and Bad Moon are far from my favorites. The Hits are for Squares LP sounds interesting though seeing as I never got it the first time around.

Here's the LP's I definitely interested in, if available of course: Hold Steady LP, Pavement 2xLP, Flaming Lips Darkside colored LP, Beach House 12" and the DBT 7".

Things I'm interested in, but could live with out: Beastie Boys 12", REM Chronic Town blue LP, Sonic Youth stuff.

Either way, I'm gonna be at my favorite local store at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday and I hope everyone else is sleeping in...so I can get the limited stuff.

The place I went to had nothing on the list I had written down to get for RSD, at least none that I could find. I settled for an original pressing of the Velvet Underground's VU (it says "Promo copy" on the back, :lol) and since it might be my favorite VU record (no lie), I'm cool with my purchase today.

I visited the store in my neighborhood and didn't find anything that I needed, but I felt the urge to support the place on this day so I picked up a copy of the Summerteeth reissue LP (two birds/one stone too since it came with a CD and my copy was about half past dead). :dancing

The Rolling Stones' "Plundered My Soul" 7" was there, which I just looked up and listened to here - they claim it's an unearthed gem from those sessions but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like current day Mick.

Only about three people were in the store this morning, here in Virginia Beach!

Picked up:

Tom Waits "Mule Variations" (11th anniversary)

Wilco "Kicking Television"

The owner of the store said "My wife wouldn't let me in the house if I brought all this home!" :lol

He let me have a couple posters for free though! I got Dr. Dog, Tom Waits, Wilco, Heartless Bastards...So that was pretty nice of him!!

I visited the store in my neighborhood and didn't find anything that I needed, but I felt the urge to support the place on this day so I picked up a copy of the Summerteeth reissue LP (two birds/one stone too since it came with a CD and my copy was about half past dead). :dancing

The Rolling Stones' "Plundered My Soul" 7" was there, which I just looked up and listened to here - they claim it's an unearthed gem from those sessions but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like current day Mick.

see you point thanks for posting !

I think while it sounds a lot like The bigger bang Stones and Mick a little top heave (screaming as he has want to do since Steel Wheels

I think Structually smacks to me like All down the Line sounds

Good Song!

It is a cool song, yeah. I don't doubt it's from those sessions, I just wonder how much they tinkered with it.

Also: this song could be relevantly discussed in three separate threads on this board right now. Ha ha.

I didn't honestly think I would get there early enough to snag a copy of Kicking Television, and that proved to be true. The dude said they only had two copies and they were both gone within a half hour of opening. :ohwell

I picked up the Chronic Town vinyl, the Ted Leo 7", and a few other odds and ends.

I didn't honestly think I would get there early enough to snag a copy of Kicking Television, and that proved to be true. The dude said they only had two copies and they were both gone within a half hour of opening. :ohwell

I picked up the Chronic Town vinyl, the Ted Leo 7", and a few other odds and ends.

I got to the store right when they opened and there was only one copy available! Luckily I was early enough to get it and the only copy of the 11th anniversary edition of "Mule Variations!"

I managed to land the early release of Heaven is Whenever. I went to two stores and they had 4 copies of it between both places. I just happened to be first in line at the second store I went to. Couldn't find the DBT single, though.

I was able to get the Modest Mouse repress of Moon & Antarctica and Sonic Youth - Hits Are For Squares. Happy with my two finds, but I wish I could have found the Pavement - Quarantine RSD edition. I see that the Pavement record is already tripling in value on ebay...maybe more. This is insane. Why don't they press more???