I couldn't find the Hold Steady LP at either store in town, which sucked. Nobody had it. I don't know why they didn't/refused to print more of those LP's so the love could be spread around more? Now ass-hats are selling it for big $$$ on ebay.

For the most part, between both stores in town, they had everything except the Hold Steady LP. I really wanted the Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth LP's but they were all $25 a pop. If I had spent that much money my wife would have divorced me or murdered me. Of the 2 people I saw pick up the Wilco box set, people made comments about them being rich or crazy for spending that much dough. I guess I'm just too damn cheap sometimes, but I could live without expensive vinyl.

I picked up the Beastie Boy's 12", Pavement best of, Beach House 12", Bon Iver split, DBT 7", Dum Dum Girls split, Built to Spill 7", and the Happy Birthday 7". Plus I got another dozen or so assorted freebie 7", 10", 12", CD's and a way too small for me RSD t-shirt. All-in-all a good day. I will probably go back to the stores this week and mop up some odds and ends. I did that last year and actually found some cheaper than they were on RSD.

I was able to get the Modest Mouse repress of Moon & Antarctica and Sonic Youth - Hits Are For Squares. Happy with my two finds, but I wish I could have found the Pavement - Quarantine RSD edition. I see that the Pavement record is already tripling in value on ebay...maybe more. This is insane. Why don't they press more???

Dude, I saw about 10 of them today and nobody biting- I was the only one I saw buy it. They still have a dozen of the LP's from last year too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I saw about 10 of them today and nobody biting- I was the only one I saw buy it. They still have a dozen of the LP's from last year too.

I guess it depends on location...If you picked up one of those pavement records for me, i would totally pay you to ship it to me. Where's the incentive in that, though, when you could turn it around on eBay for about $70? haha.

Decided to go to Amoeba here in LA instead of a smaller store close to home. Waited about two hours, but was lucky enough to get everything I wanted (Hold Steady, DBT, Springsteen, Black Keys). Looking forward to a one person listening party tonight. :music

My total haul included:

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone clear vinyl

The Hold Steady - Heaven is Whenever prerelease clear vinyl

Plants and Animals - La La Land

Phoenix - 12" Fences single

The Thermals/The Cribs - 7" single

Surfer Blood/Holiday Shores - 7" single

Menomena/The Helio Sequence - 7" single

I don't listen to the Hold Steady, but knowing that Amoeba has 3 locations, I wonder if they got so many copies that everyone else got either 0 or 1 copy.

I went to a really little local shop here in Des Plaines, IL- Algonquin Records- and picked up the Flaming Lips Dark Side of the Moon LP. While, yes, it was $25, it also comes with a CD copy and it is a very pretty clear vinyl (even though it was supposed to be seafoam green). The record store guy told me that Warner Brothers wanted the record stares to remove the label on the plastic cover that indicated it was seafoam green- I don't know why anyone would of done that. plus, it would have been illegal because the same label also had the Parental Advisory.

My local shop also said they didn't bother with the Wilco LP set because it was so expensive. That was kinda weird because it seems like they carried every other Wilco LP available and they didn't want to shell out for this.

So what's on the B-Boys record? Hope someone can record to flac/mp3?

2 songs, which kinda sucks. I figured there would be at least 4....

Sound pretty good to me, plus it was only $7. The last B-Boy album I bought was Hello Nasty in college...

I would like to have some of the 7" I bought today in mp3 or flac format as well. Kinda sucks that all of these RSD releases didn't have digital downloads. Sub Pop is the bomb by the way for doing that.

I got

REM

Soundgarden

Springsteen

Rolling Stones

I tried for Beasties and Wilco both gone...

Looked on ebay and the Besties single is already going for close to $100!!!

2 songs, which kinda sucks. I figured there would be at least 4....

Sound pretty good to me, plus it was only $7. The last B-Boy album I bought was Hello Nasty in college...

I would like to have some of the 7" I bought today in mp3 or flac format as well. Kinda sucks that all of these RSD releases didn't have digital downloads. Sub Pop is the bomb by the way for doing that.

Put that Beasties single on ebay!

Seriously!?!

Wow. They had tons of copies at one of the stores in town but none at the other one. Same for the DBT 7", one store had about 4 copies and the other had none. I feel pretty lucky now that I got those after hearing people say they couldn't find them.

How's the REM? I had it in my hand but put it back on the shelf. I have the original on vinyl, but does this one sound any better?

Seriously!?!

Wow. They had tons of copies at one of the stores in town but none at the other one. Same for the DBT 7", one store had about 4 copies and the other had none. I feel pretty lucky now that I got those after hearing people say they couldn't find them.

How's the REM? I had it in my hand but put it back on the shelf. I have the original on vinyl, but does this one sound any better?

Maybe I am imagining things but the new version sounds crisper than the older version?

Is the original "Chronic Town" rare or valuable? I've had mine forever and it seems like I've seen it floating around a fair amount over the years.

I didn't honestly think I would get there early enough to snag a copy of Kicking Television, and that proved to be true. The dude said they only had two copies and they were both gone within a half hour of opening. :ohwell

I picked up the Chronic Town vinyl, the Ted Leo 7", and a few other odds and ends.

They must have had 100 copies of Kicking Television at Twist and shout in Denver, they were everywhere.

I ended up buying:

Buddy Holly Box set

REM - Chronic town on blue vinyl

Sonic Youth - EVOL on Pink Vinyl

Spoon - Ga ga ga ga

Robert Pollard - Silverfish Trivia

Arc Angels - Living in a dream live CD and DVD

Sub pop Casual Nostalgia Fest

La Roux

The Clash - First album on vinyl

I was in line early at Schoolkids in Raleigh, NC

Picked up:

• Mule Variations 11th Anniversary
  • REM Chronic Town
  • John Lennon Singles Bag (3x7")
  • Rolling Stones 7"
  • DBTs 7"
  • Wilco 7" w. "Unlikely Japan" (not exclusive to RSD)

I could have went nuts, but didn't. I really wanted those VU reissues of Live 1969, but they didn't get any at Schoolkids. Also was hoping to score on the Joy Division, but no dice on that, either. All in all, a pretty good haul for RSD.

Wow!!! What a fucked up story I have for you folks.

So I went to Bull Moose Records today in Salem, NH. I went to Newbury Comics last night (just realized last minute that they indeed take part in Record Store Day).

Anyways, I asked the hipster gentleman if they had any copies of Kicking Television on vinyl out back, since I hadn't seen any. He told me "Whoa! Have I got a story for you!"

I didn't know what he was going to go on about, but it kind of blew me away. "We had several copies, but in fact we had this one guy who walked out of the store with it and $50 of merchandise that he thought was FREE :dontgetit. So he pretty much stole $120 worth of merchandise. How do we know this, well he came in this morning (read: ran in like Tasmanian Devil) and brought in all of the stuff that he stole except for a few items that he threw down $25 for and ran out of the store."

So bottom line: I couldn't look at the copy of Kicking Television because it was now considered stolen property. LOL :ohwell

What a f$%%ing MORON!!! I mean, are we that carefree with downloading torrents of shows and licensed music that we assume anything/everything is free to take? Mind you an extremely heavy 8 LP set! I've never heard of such a thing. There were some free items like a Coachella booklet and cd sampler in it & posters. Not merchandise you fricken moron. :realmad Yeah, I mean that's kind of the whole point of Record Store Day right? Releasing a bunch of cool exclusive shit that all that you have to do is to walk in and walk out with it.

I ended up buying Mad Men Season 3 for $20 and Weeds Season 5 for $15. I saved $40. I'm happy about that.

Is the original "Chronic Town" rare or valuable? I've had mine forever and it seems like I've seen it floating around a fair amount over the years.

Cronic Town is usually $15 or less on ebay for the original version so not too rare..

i heard that the Joy Division box was $250.

It was..I would have bought it for $75 or so..I asked for it and how much and it was $250 so I didn't even bother to look at it on the shelf!