Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street Week

It was cool, but it was definitely missing something. And since they were the most interesting act of the week, I can't imagine I need to see what Keith Urban or the rest did (take Taj Mahal out of that lumping though - I'll probably still check that out).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was cool, but it was definitely missing something. And since they were the most interesting act of the week, I can't imagine I need to see what Keith Urban or the rest did (take Taj Mahal out of that lumping though - I'll probably still check that out).

You should check the Urban out, just for the hell of it at least.

At this point in The Stones career - I don't think they give Dice much justice in a live setting; Urban at least had fun with it.

The funny thing about Taj Mahal's performance is that he is a black dude, doing his interpretation of a white dude's interpretation of the blues.

Have you heard any of this - This has some spectacular versions of Stones songs :

51S2KZJA67L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. You Can't Always Get What You Want - Luther Allison

2. Tumbling Dice - Johnny Copeland

3. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Junior Wells

4. Wild Horses - Otis Clay

5. Honky Tonk Women - Taj Mahal

6. Sway - Alvin Youngblood Hart

7. Ventilator Blues - Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Larry McCray

8. Beast of Burden - Willie Dixon, Semon "Tiny" Holmes, Wendell Holmes

9. Under My Thumb - Lucky Peterson

10. It's All Over Now - Bobby Womack

11. Midnight Rambler - Larry McCray

12. Heart of Stone - Joe Louis Walker

13. Moonlight Mile - Alvin Youngblood Hart

Have you heard any of this - This has some spectacular versions of Stones songs :

51S2KZJA67L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

THis Tribute Album is Great Bought it when 1st released..

Fallon interview;THANKS for the link

Keith was his usual fun charming self

Had the Stones on Today No Security Smooth Live Version almost Flawless Live Recording of Memory Motel w/Dave M. Guesting

addtl track has Taj Mahal

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I loved Phish's performance on Thursday. They've been nailing that tune for years. And they just looked so happy up there too.

I have not got it yet. I suppose I will at some point.

It's a download from online, but I will get it when it comes down in price a bit (just the single disc - not that interested in hearing Jagger sing over old songs - because it just makes me wish he'd shut up and let the music play, based on how i've felt listening to "plundered my soul"). As for the sound - it really is a massive improvement on the old cd, there is so much more depth and detail, but it still sounds the same in terms of the feel - like i've cleaned my ears out.

From what I saw of "Stones In Exile" on Fallon the other night this will be fantastic. Very interesting doc.

As for the sound - it really is a massive improvement on the old cd, there is so much more depth and detail, but it still sounds the same in terms of the feel - like i've cleaned my ears out.

Wow - thanks for calming my fears about this particular remaster. I will get it now too!

nah...i realize that CS isn't on Exile, but it's a better song for PG to cover :D

It would have been cool to have Cocksucker Blues on the 2nd disc of this reissue. I think the song was writen a year or so earlier so maybe it would be more appropriate for a Sticky Fingers reissue... considering the nature of the lyrics I doubt it will ever get added to any reissue :D.

Just another vote of confidence for that HOB Stones tribute album. I used to own it a while back (can't find it...) and it's fantastic all the way through, particularly the Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice, and Sway, and Moonlight Mile.

i'm actually listening to the remastered version of Exile at the moment - it's sounds great!

So how is it compared to the LPs? I really don't think I will rebuy this, despite the nice booklet.

LouieB

So how is it compared to the LPs? I really don't think I will rebuy this, despite the nice booklet.

LouieB

well i don't have the original pressing or actually any pressing of that to compare. i've heard it, but can't remember how great i thought it was. but, i'd guess it depends on what sort of condition you've got your vinyl in. what i can say is that it's a massive improvement on the last cd version.

well i don't have the original pressing or actually any pressing of that to compare. i've heard it, but can't remember how great i thought it was. but, i'd guess it depends on what sort of condition you've got your vinyl in. what i can say is that it's a massive improvement on the last cd version.

Well the recording itself if kind of muddy anyway I think, so unless they drastically remixed it (a la parts of All Things Must Pass) it should sound about the same.

LouieB