Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street Week

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there poster some people around here need that clarification. Another poster implied that S. Crow was a good choice for this weeks lineup because Wilco opened for her.

...writing about Crow, it took two seconds of her singing to tell me this rendition was going to blow chunks.

That was me and believe me I am not a big fan of S. Crow.

I did see Wilco open up for her at Sunrise Musical Theatre in 1997 and walked out after 4 songs of SC set (although she did look good in black mini dress)

I thought that she did a nice job with song.

Keith Urban's version of Tumbling Dice - really liked this version. Pretty straight forward but Urban (and band) played great and seemed "into" it. Nice to see Chuck Leavell. I like the low opening notes to Urban's guitar solo. Shout out to Nashville was appropriate, too.

wow. i really liked this. i also like keith urban.

wow. i really liked this. i also like keith urban.

One of my friends who I musically respect very much...told me this....

His wife wanted to go to Urban a few years ago...so he took her and a couple of her friends and said he was expecting to get wasted and just hand...but when Urban started playing he said the show was A+ and had said the Urban was a great guitarist and performer and he was really into it.

yeah, urban's a fantastic guitar player. my listens to country radio a lot so when i'm in her car i'm subjected to this crap. but i kept hearing keith urban songs & really liking it. i broke down & bought his last album. it's very enjoyable.

Phish - Loving Cup

That had to be nerve wracking with Keith standing there.

What all of those performers are missing is the dirt/sex groove inherit in the original recordings by the original band. You can't duplicate that.

I have no doubt that Keith Urban has talent that I will never have, but to me, his music is sterile and plastic sounding.

The funny thing about Taj Mahal's performance is that he is a black dude, doing his interpretation of a white dude's interpretation of the blues.

Taj Mahal was in The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus (which you can watch by way of Google video).

which is why they should have Pussy Galore doing 'Cocksucker Blues' :thumbup

Is the Pussy Galore version of Exile available? I realize it was just release on a cassette, right?

Sheryl Crow's performance is as beige as you can get.

Following on A-man's comment on the lacking dirt/sex groove, it reminds me of a Zappa quote about capable musicians - something like "sure, you can play the notes, but can you put eyebrows on it?"

Phish - Loving Cup

The funny thing about Taj Mahal's performance is that he is a black dude, doing his interpretation of a white dude's interpretation of the blues.

Taj Mahal was in The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus (which you can watch by way of Google video).

That R&R Circus is an odd one....Good point on Taj covering a Blues take by white guys, too.Taj was also the bassist for Garcia's great American String Band for a few months in '74 (the time the GASB was together, basically).

Not sure I get the point that AMan and Lammy are making about Taj doing a white guy's take on the blues. The blues are the blues. As everyone in this thread agrees, the Stones did them well. Or, at the last, their own gritty/dirty/sexy way. I'm really not looking to turn this into a larger discussion about race and music. Just seems like an odd point and/or observation to make. The song is great. That's why Taj did a cover of it.

Can Blue Men Sing The Whites?

I guess I should have known that this is where the discussion would go after my comment. But I just find it alot more funny that bands without any sense of grit or dirt, like Keith Urban or Green Day, would cover the Stones. As opposed to someone who's as badass as Taj is.

I guess I should have known that this is where the discussion would go after my comment. But I just find it alot more funny that bands without any sense of grit or dirt, like Keith Urban or Green Day, would cover the Stones. As opposed to someone who's as badass as Taj is.

I was not saying he was not fit for the task at hand, but rather, I was commenting on one of genres that influenced the Rolling Stones.

Let me try again - Mick and Keith and Brian idolized black American blues musicians, and here is a TV show where a black American blues musician is shown performing one of their songs.

Now - since Taj is a contemporary of theirs, my view is somewhat skewed. If it was B.B. King covering a Stones song, what I am trying to say would make more sense.

I have read over the years that the British Invasion bands could not believe that the blues artists they worshiped were not kings when they came to America. Or something like that.

I don't want to turn this thread into one of those debate club threads, either.

Is the Pussy Galore version of Exile available? I realize it was just release on a cassette, right?

yeah, cassette-only. i'm sure a blog scour can turn up the mp3s.

edit - http://www.discogs.com/Pussy-Galore-Exile-On-Main-St/release/1214290

Recorded with Pussy Galore Mobile Unit Aug 24-26 1986.

Originally released on cassette only, this was booted onto vinyl

i think i have the PG _Year One_ tape, but not Exile.

the rumor i'd heard in the past is that Sonic Youth heard about PG's plans, and they were gonna do a cover version of the White Album (or maybe it was Sgt Pepper's). too bad that didn't happen.

sorry, it's just the name of a song by the bonzo dog band - i wasn't really making any comment on what you said. just being silly.