Did you ever go out and buy a CD that is considered "a must have" just because you think you should know something about it? I did that yesterday and ended up with "Slanted and Enchanted" by Pavement. 10 seconds in I knew I had a winner. Awesome stuff for anyone who missed that boat. By the way, a couple of other disks that I just had to check out: Uncle Tupelo Anthology, which of course led me to Wilco and Son Volt, and Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. So if you have $11.88 burning a hole in your pocket, pick it up. I'm guessing I'll be picking up a few more Pavement disks in the near future. Unfortunately for me, they just played Boston a short while back so I’ll have to wait on seeing them.

They haven't played Boston yet. They're playing Agannis Arena at BU in September, and I'll be in the 2nd row going nuts. I recommend trying to get tickets if they haven't sold out yet, because this is a reunion tour and it's unlikely they'll ever tour again!

Also, the next album, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain is one of my favorite albums ever, so definitely get that :thumbup

Buy them all, Pavement never put out a bad album. And make sure and get the deluxe re-issues with all the extra goodies.

Got my tickets to see them in September already.

Did you ever go out and buy a CD that is considered "a must have" just because you think you should know something about it?

I think that's exactly how I started listening to Pavement.

I didn't know much about independent music at the time (around 2000, I think), but I had heard about Pavement somehow and just knew they were I band I was meant to check out. They didn't fit in with the radio friendly alternative rock I generally listened to, but I eventually bought Terror Twilight anyway just to try them out. Pavement, along with Sonic Youth, changed the way I listened to music, though it still took me quite a while to get out of my mainstream rut altogether.

I haven't listened to either band in quite a while. I may have to get those CD's out for something different.

I am curious to hear any reviews from this reunion tour. Was it awesome or the biggest mistake ever?

I was doing yard work today and Malkmus walked by with his daughters; he lives in my neighborhood. Funny to see the indie icon as a plain old daddy, handling 2 young girls who were tired of their tiny scooters. So they all walked, one whined, and SM carried 2 scooters. I thought it would be a bad idea to ask my question to him ("...hey neighbor, is this reunion tour awesome, or the biggest mistake ever?") :lol

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I knew I came to the right place to get some good feedback. I just checked and there are still a bunch of tickets for the Boston show so I'm sure I'll be there. I'm guessing that it will be a struggle to find any of my friends who'd consider going, so I'll probably drag my 15 year old son. It was funny because he was with me in the car when I put it on for the first time coming back from Newbury Comics and he said it sounded like Weezer. Later reading the liner notes, there was a comment about Pavement launching 1,000 Weezers!

Also, I did get the deluxe CD. There must be 50 songs on it. Thanks again.

I am curious to hear any reviews from this reunion tour. Was it awesome or the biggest mistake ever?

Pavement was never a fantastic live band, but the setlists from the NZ/Aus/Japan shows have been amazing, and if you are even a cursory fan i would think it would be worth seeing them. i highly doubt it's gonna happen again.

I won't be seeing them until September, but from the videos I've seen it looks like they're a MUCH better rehearsed, tighter group than they were when I saw them in the '90s.

An interview I read a while back said that Malkmus insisted that, unlike previous tours, everyone had to practice before this one.

An interview I read a while back said that Malkmus insisted that, unlike previous tours, everyone had to practice before this one.

I also heard that the drummer (West, I'm pretty sure) needed to be sent all the Pavement records so he could remember what the hell he was supposed to be playing. Which is hilarious.

Strange, as a long-time Pavement fan, I wouldn't recommend "Slanted and Enchanted" to a casual listener first approaching the band! I guess it depends on what background you are coming from, but that album took the longest time to acclimate to.

I didn't even get Terror Twilight until a few months ago, as it did nothing for me. I now see it as necessary, after you get into Wowee Zowee. It's the perfect counterpoint and the "man, I am growing up" life-fallout hangover album that I never thought Pavement could make. It really adds depth to the catalog, though it still is not my favorite (Wowee Zowee)

My personal order of exposure:

Crooked Rain

Brighten the Corners

Wowee Zowee

Slanted and Enchanted

Terror Twilight

All the early EPs

I was too young in the 90s to get into Pavement. My first exposure was listening to parts of Terror Twilight at a Borders kiosk and immediately buying it. At the time, I was fairly obsessed with Pearl Jam, Neil Young, The Who, and other arena rock acts to lesser extents. Terror Twilight was my intro both to Pavement and indie rock generally. Aesthetically, it's still my favorite Pavement album, although Crooked Rain is a close second.

People say Terror Twilight is basically the first Malkmus solo record, and that might be why I like it most. I'm perhaps one of the few who prefer Malkmus (with or without Jicks) over Pavement.

I saw the band when they were touring Brighten the Corners (or maybe it was Wowee Zowee). At any rate, they were amazing then.

Sadly, I've been very disappointed with Malkmus' solo career, so I am happy to see this happen. And hoping beyond hope that this will eventually bring forth new Pavement material. I loved this band back in the 90's, but the solo Malkmus stuff has disappointed me enough to actually sour me on the band's stuff a bit.

Anyway, I'll go by my 10 favorite Pavement songs, since everyone else is seeming to go by albums (and since it is now the age of iTunes and whatnot):

• Best Friend's Arm
  • Trigger Cut
  • Summer Babe
  • Shady Lane
  • Here
  • Spit On a Stranger
  • Gold Soundz
  • Range Life
  • Rattled By the Rush
  • Stereo

Kinda in order.

I loved this band back in the 90's, but the solo Malkmus stuff has disappointed me enough to actually sour me on the band's stuff a bit.

This surprises me. I think Real emotional trash is right up there with the Pavement stuff.

I absolutely love the solo stuff.

new band members, new styles, new fuzzbox.

While I enjoyed the first malkmus solo record, its probably the one I reach for the least. hasn't held up (as well), still good, but the other solo records are wonderful in their own right. That said, i reach for all the pavement records depending on what im in the mood for.

real emotional trash is fantastic.

cannot wait for philly!!!!

It's important to not expect exactly Pavement when considering Malkmus' solo material, he's wanted to get jammy for awhile and Pavement is, admittedly, not a great vehicle for that. That out of the way, Malkmus' solo material is pretty rad (it will never match Pavement, but I'm ok with it).

If I had to rank the records in terms of being purely good, chances are I'd go chronological. But more recently, given my listening preferences here's probably how it goes:

Brighten the Corners

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Wowee Zowee

Slanted & Enchanted

Terror Twilight

I'm ok with ranking Pavement songs because somehow they separate from their albums really easily and are easily interpretable and enjoyable outside of the album context:

1. Here

2. Gold Soundz

3. We Dance

4. Shady Lane

5. Grounded

6. Spit On A Stranger

7. Range Life

8. Trigger Cut

9. Father to a Sister of a Thought

10. Loretta's Scars

Something like that. After 5 or 6 it gets really messy.

I've been listening to these guys for a couple of years and this is what I come up with when I make a top ten list:

01) Spit on a Stranger

02) Father to a Sister of Thought

03) Killing Moon (Echo&The Bunnymen cover)

04) In The Mouth of a Desert

05) Summer Babe (Winter Version)

06) Fin

07) Trigger Cut

08) Zurich is Stained

09) AT&T

10) Harness Your Hopes

Saw them at Lolla' 95 and they were awesome. That is also the night that made me an INSANE Sonic Youth fan. I have tix to the show this fall in Atlanta. Can't. Freakin. Wait.

Saw them at Lolla' 95 and they were awesome. That is also the night that made me an INSANE Sonic Youth fan. I have tix to the show this fall in Atlanta. Can't. Freakin. Wait.

Did you see the Atlanta Lollapalooza?

I was there, and unless my memory is playing tricks, Pavement played a second unannounced set on the side stage that day.