Wilco Playing South Bend's Coveleski Ballpark, IN

$45 :blink ? I know that relatively speaking that this is an affordable ticket price, but it still seems kind of pricey for an out-door, GA show in a less than ideal venue. But then again I've never seen a show in a minor league ballpark before (I still regret not seeing Willie and Dylan at the ballpark in Grand Rapids a few years back) so what do I know? I will probably end up going to this show since it is being billed as the sole midwest gig this summer. They just better break out a set-list like the one down in Australia w/ Laminated Cat and KT.

As usual, it looks like I'll be truckin' it all the way by myself to this show. I will go to this show. I had this great plan that this would be perfect for my 39th birthday, and an excellent opportunity for my 6 yr old daughter to see her first Wilco show. I think she can handle it. Then a weekend near Lake MI and then home to Cleveland on Sunday. But of course non Wilco fan husband doesnt want to go.......

This will be my 3rd Wilco show by myself.

Just think of it as your first show with your daughter, and not your third show by yourself. Taking the kids can be a riot. Hope you have fun!

Hey Wendy is South Bend any bigger than Ft. Wayne? They're pouring salt into your wound.

hahaha - Oh, I'm still holding out for Wilco at The Embassy Theatre. That's my kind of venue anyway. ;) I think we're about the same size population-wise.

To be honest, Greg, I'm not sure Fort Wayne was ever in the running for this summer baseball field gig to begin with.

We have a brand new downtown baseball stadium (Parkview Stadium is only 1 year old) and we have already been awarded one concert this summer - Zac Brown Band, a very forgettable easy-listening country band that they expect 10,000 tickets to be sold at 40 bucks each. :ermm They are bland IMO, but nothing as horrible as Gretchen Wilson - remember her from Farm Aid? :lol "redneck! all jacked up!"

Popular songs by Zac Brown Band are titled "Chicken Fried" and "Toes." I listened, I don't care for them.

The truth is, if this is really the only show in the midwest, then Wilco was right to have picked South Bend. There will certainly be some tickets sold to Chicagoans because South Bend is close to Chicago. I'm over it already.

The good news about South Bend is my brother-in-law is the managing editor of the SB Tribune, and I'm working on him getting an air conditioned VIP room so I can be comfy. I'm so high maintenance! :P

As usual, it looks like I'll be truckin' it all the way by myself to this show. I will go to this show. I had this great plan that this would be perfect for my 39th birthday, and an excellent opportunity for my 6 yr old daughter to see her first Wilco show. I think she can handle it. Then a weekend near Lake MI and then home to Cleveland on Sunday. But of course non Wilco fan husband doesnt want to go.......

This will be my 3rd Wilco show by myself.

So your husband won't even celebrate your 39th birthday with you? Jeez thats tough.

So what's the deal with ball park shows? They put the stage on the field and we stand on the field? This will be GA, as I understand from a previous post. If it is GA, then it doesn matter if I sign into Front Gate tomorrow, since my best way of scoring a place close to the stage is to show up early, right? Hows the sound at these things? OK?

I'm feeling some trepidation about this.

Similar questions...I was going to bring my kids, but under 4 are free. Do I just show up with the kids? Do they need tickets? The whole thing is GA? Can we bring a cooler and a blanket for a picnic before the show?

Maybe I will call the stadium.

Similar questions...I was going to bring my kids, but under 4 are free. Do I just show up with the kids? Do they need tickets? The whole thing is GA? Can we bring a cooler and a blanket for a picnic before the show?

Maybe I will call the stadium.

I called. It's all GA, so get there early. You can bring a blanket, but no outside food or beverages (bummer).

That $8.50 UPS charge is an outrage. Thinking back I guess all my previous Wilco tickets were bought thru different vendors or friends. This was my first experience with Frontgate and it's a joke. I consider Wilco top notch when it comes to being fan friendly, why the hell would they us this vendor?

Hello everyone! It's 4:30 in the morning, and I'm posting for the first time (I think) on the Via Chicago boards! Cha ching!

Well, first and foremost, I guess I'd like to explain why I decided to come here and unleash my tales upon the world...the reason? I adore Wilco. I've seen them a total of 5 times, since 2004, and I'll definitely be attending the show, on July 30th. I'm from South Bend, and despite having bounced around the past few years, I'm back, and I'll be here for the show, this summer.

Here's a quick rundown of my "special" Wilco-related concert experiences, over the years...

-Halloween, 2004, Chicago: First time getting to see the band live, and wow, what an experience! The lady and I had terrible seats, up in the balcony, at the Auditorium Theatre. Needless to say, not the best way to kick of my live Wilco endeavors, but man, did business pick up. Despite being a bit bummed out about my seats, I was upbeat and hopeful, when lo and behold, who do I see, but Tony Margherita. Now, I'm not typically the type to bother people that I know from movies, etc, but at the age of 18, I decided, "What the hell?" So, I said, "Hey, aren't you Wilco's manager?" To which he obviously responded, "Yes." Then came what to this day remains as the greatest musical moment in my entire life...Mr. Margherita asked my girlfriend and I if we'd mind moving...TO THE FRONT ROW! Yeah, man, it was surreal, and amazing, and just...incredible. Needless to say, I had the time of my life, and will never forget that night.

-April, 2005, Bloomington: Awesome show, as always, but I don't recall much about it, aside from my friend, who sat a few rows back, freaking out during "Forget The Flowers."

-February, 2008, Chicago: The 3rd night of the Residency, I believe...wow. To make a long story short, I hitchhiked from South Bend, to Chicago (literally), had a blast (despite not being able to see or grasp what was going on around me), and attempted to buy the entire merch table, after the show was over.

-August, 2008, Chicago: Snuck into Lollapalooza, and had a wonderful time, laying in the grass, listening to "It's Just That Simple."

-January, 2009, Kalamazoo: Amazingly great solo Tweedy show, that almost saw myself and a friend meet our demise on the icy road home.

-April, 2009, Bloomington: Blew it, big time, and left after the first encore. So ashamed.

-July, 2010, South Bend: Shenanigans? I sure hope so.

Well, that's about it. I hope to see a lot of you kids at the show, this summer...

Yours in Christ,

Chris

So what's the deal with ball park shows? They put the stage on the field and we stand on the field? This will be GA, as I understand from a previous post. If it is GA, then it doesn matter if I sign into Front Gate tomorrow, since my best way of scoring a place close to the stage is to show up early, right? Hows the sound at these things? OK?

I'm feeling some trepidation about this.

see link:

http://www.etix.com/venueResources/ticket/images/7085_ticket/thecove1.jpg

I noticed an ad for this show in the Onion yesterday advertising this as the last show in the midwest in 2010.

I guess the and is either taing a well deserved vacation or going into the studio or both.

LouieB

I noticed an ad for this show in the Onion yesterday advertising this as the last show in the midwest in 2010.

I guess the and is either taing a well deserved vacation or going into the studio or both.

LouieB

Today's Wilco HQ email states the same:

After last summer's successful run of concerts in minor league ballparks on the east coast, Wilco will take the field again for their only remaining Midwest concert of 2010 at South Bend, Indiana’s Coveleski Ballpark on Friday, July 30. The concert features special guests Yo La Tengo, who performed with Wilco last summer at a sold out minor league stadium in Brooklyn, NY -- a show that provided some of our best memories of 2009, without a doubt. There is a pre-sale going on now here. The password is "silverhawks".

Tickets for the July 30 concert are on sale Saturday, May 15 at 12 noon EST/11 am CDT through Wilcoworld.net and etix.com. Tickets will also be available at the Coveleski Ballpark box office and by phone at 1-800-514-ETIX. Admission to the concert is free for children 4 and under. So pack up the grill and we'll see you in the parking lot.... gates open on show day at 5pm. Be there -- it's the last shot in the region for the year.

Yours as always, the HQ team

P.S. Solid Sound Festival early bird tix avail throughout May, info here.

I saw that too. I haven't kept track of the tour schedule so I was curious. Looks like the touring is over after South Adams. Perhaps that means we can see everyone's bands in our local clubs next fall.

LouieB

I saw that too. I haven't kept track of the tour schedule so I was curious. Looks like the touring is over after South Adams. Perhaps that means we can see everyone's bands in our local clubs next fall.

LouieB

They are in Colorado and then Europe the month of September, but hopefully after that there will be some Pronto, Singers, AD and On Filmore stuff...

I called. It's all GA, so get there early. You can bring a blanket, but no outside food or beverages (bummer).

I work for a minor league team in Midland Michigan (same league as SB) I am surprised they allow blankets on the field ... we have to put flooring down and seats .. a big pain. Cant wait for the show .. will be my first

yEAH! my birthday is 7/29 so amped. btw, you can take a train from downtown chicago>south bend for $22 round trip.

chicagoan's. we should get a train-party together to south bend for the show! drinking is allowed on the train, so shennanigans for sure!

what are thoughts on this selling out? i mean, its a freakin stadium ya know?