My daughter was singing along to HMD in the car this morning complete with appropriate ooohs and ahhhs when I heard her sing "play and discover, beautiful and stoned" hahaha! Apparently she's always thought those were the words.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, on Sonny Feeling, instead of "buried the breaks" it kind of sound like "fellated the breaks". I know this is wrong, but I had to check out the liner notes for that one -- just to confirm.

You know, whenever I listen to Side With Seeds, which I love, and of course never bother to look up the lyrics, I always sing the intro as "Tssslalllppppp thshssatss ssgggg/Where the blsssslanggsss stoph cracks.....". And my 6 month old loves it.

"That lay between the words I think on a page

I was meaning to send to"

My almost 14 year old has INSISTED for years that Jeff is saying "b$tch" not "page". No, we don't talk like this in my house but no matter how many times her sister and I explain that it doesn't make any sense, she won't budge. I'm pretty sure it's just a game now ;)

The 1st time she "heard" it, she said "MOMMA!!!" like it was MY fault! Kids!...lol

"and things got weird, and I started growing Benny Ulvaeus' beard"

It is presented in my head for every time of spin of this track like a hard-wire or response of a dog of the Dr. Pavlov all din-dins call and drip of mouth! It is shame these dogs did not known sacred freedom of the wilderness my friends, so I make a little memory tear on their behalf during enhanced atmosphere of the doleful promoted by this song. In truth it is a fine thing to have a small taste of this poor spirit my friends, for then whole world feel shiny and bright as the sequin on new tank top once you make return to the sound of Mr Benny and Mr Bjorn. They know the power of the contrast for success in pop chart. You have only to see the contrasting hairy qualities of Lady Agnetha and Lady Frida. It is subtle ploy no? I am betting that you have never even had an appreciate before this time! This is work of Mr Stig at his best in svengali style! But I am for sure willing to fall under this spell ha ha!

Welfare!

In Misunderstood, I used to think it was "reflecting on your O.C.D." because that totally made sense to me at the time... Returning to your hometown and lighting up a cigarette while thinking about being obsessive-compulsive.

In "Shake It Off," I always hear "When I'm awake enough" as "When I'm whacking off..."

I'd feel guilty, but I'm pretty sure it's totally normal. 97% of Wilco fans hear it that way, and 3% are liars.

In "Shake It Off," I always hear "When I'm awake enough" as "When I'm whacking off..."

I'd feel guilty, but I'm pretty sure it's totally normal. 97% of Wilco fans hear it that way, and 3% are liars.

you'll go blind listening to that shit

Guest Speed Racer

I hear "wanking off". That's what my girlfriend heard the first time she heard the song, too. She doesn't know the names of too many Wilco songs, so that one's just "The Masturbation Song" in our family.

I had a friend who sang "You need song, you need battle," in "I Guess I Planted". She was totally crushed when I corrected her, because it was apparently one of her favorite lyrics.

I hear "wanking off". That's what my girlfriend heard the first time she heard the song, too. She doesn't know the names of too many Wilco songs, so that one's just "The Masturbation Song" in our family.

i also hear "wanking off"

This isn't so much a case of misheard lyrics but misunderstood lyrics: my mother-in-law is a child of the 1970s, a die-hard fan of soft-rock from the era - and her absolute #1 favorite artist is James Taylor. She was absolutely crushed when I informed her one summer evening while having a back-porch dinner that "Fire and Rain" was written while James Taylor was in rehab for heroin abuse and is an autobiographical portrait of what he was going through. She didn't believe me at first, so we had to put it on and listen in silence to every lyric. When we discussed the lyrics afterwards, it was as if I had just ruined her love for the songwriter.

What was more shocking is that she had no idea that James Taylor even had a drug problem - she thought the song was more of a lover's lament (or something along those lines). While she's since "recovered" from the realization that her beloved JT isn't all sunshine, smiles, rainbows & kittens, the song has never been the same for her, thanks to me...

I think these might have been mentioned before, but this is what I thought I heard on a few Uncle Tupelo songs:

Roll me under your mattress

Shake my baby and please bring her back

'Cause Steph won't even be still

Karen's over the landfill

Carries us all on his broken back

And of course:

He had a black guy.

I think these might have been mentioned before, but this is what I thought I heard on a few Uncle Tupelo songs:

Roll me under your mattress

Shake my baby and please bring her back

'Cause Steph won't even be still

Karen's over the landfill

Carries us all on his broken back

how can karen and steph carry on HIS broken back? :lol

i agree on the mattress line, though

Guest Speed Racer

From its live debut until I had owned SBS for a few months, I thought the title track opened, "Oh, the band marched on information" instead of "in formation".

I used to hear "I will always die so you can remember me" in Company in My Back as "I will always die so fucking remember me."

--Mike

Wow! Which would be a kinda cool, much more intense version. I like it.

After watching Sunken Treasure again today I'm reminded of Jeff's passive aggressive "What you want Sir, isn't what you want, anymore". Should I admit that I only worked out the real lyrics at the Sydney gigs this month? After listening and singing it for 3 years?