In "A Shot in the Arm" where the lyrics are

Your pillow wept

You covered your eyes

I thought it was

You pirouette, you cover your eyes

A big thank you to bemydemon.org for setting me straight, on this and countless other lyrics.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

I used to hear "I will always die so you can remember me" in Company in My Back as "I will always die so fucking remember me."

--Mike

That's exactly how I heard it the first time, and I thought it was a very powerful lyric...so that's still how I hear it. It puts quite an edge on the song!

• 7 months later...

i just had to post this. So I gave my sister a couple Wilco songs to listen to, one of which was I'm Always in Love, which she really liked. So flashforward a couple months and we're on a road-trip and listing to my iPod. I'm Always in Love comes on and all the sudden she exclaims, "Oh, I'm Always in love!" She thought it was "Five hours of love." We got a big kick out of that considering the accompanying lyrics I'm bragging (five hours of love) and then later I'm worried (five hours of love)!

"and things got weird, and I started growing Benny Ulvaeus' beard"

It is presented in my head for every time of spin of this track like a hard-wire or response of a dog of the Dr. Pavlov all din-dins call and drip of mouth! It is shame these dogs did not known sacred freedom of the wilderness my friends, so I make a little memory tear on their behalf during enhanced atmosphere of the doleful promoted by this song. In truth it is a fine thing to have a small taste of this poor spirit my friends, for then whole world feel shiny and bright as the sequin on new tank top once you make return to the sound of Mr Benny and Mr Bjorn. They know the power of the contrast for success in pop chart. You have only to see the contrasting hairy qualities of Lady Agnetha and Lady Frida. It is subtle ploy no? I am betting that you have never even had an appreciate before this time! This is work of Mr Stig at his best in svengali style! But I am for sure willing to fall under this spell ha ha!

Welfare!

Well clearly this is a misheard lyric, as Mr. Jeff Tweedy would never the bad combination of Mr. Benny Andersson and Mr. Bjorn Ulvaeus' names in this unfortunate style make!

• 2 weeks later...

So it's not "almost insist upon treating you kind of fair" but "almost insist upon treating you kind and fair." When I first heard it and thought it was "kind of fair," I was thinking it was a narrator/persona confession or maybe unreliable narrator kind of deal, that he wasn't as kind to his beloved as he could have been. The word "almost" speaks to that in a sense, too. Plus, there's a sense of subtle arrogance in the idea that it's the narrator, not the beloved, who has the open mind.

Anyway, the actual lyric makes the song more heartfelt, I like it either way, but it's a bit sweeter knowing the actual lyric.

• 10 months later...

With the Candyfloss lyrics discussion, now's a good time to resurrect this old--and hilarious--thread. I have 3 lyric questions that have always puzzled me and I'd love to know what y'all think:

• In nothingsevergonnastandinmywayagain, it's "I'm a bomb regardless," right? I used to think it was "bum" but I'm pretty sure I figured that one out
  • In I'm Always in Love, is it "it's a drag ass night" or "it's a drag I sang"? Bemydemon says the latter but I've always heard "drag ass night."
  • In Passenger Side, is Jeff singing "but I had a . . . .scene" or, as bemydemon would have it "but I hadn't seen." I've always thought the former, and to me it's sort of like the Ummm on I'm a Wheel--supposed to be a cryptic.

And on a related topic, does anyone know who maintains bemydemon? It's fantastic to have it but I would think whoever keeps it up would like to correct some of these small glitches. Well, the ones where there's a consensus, anyway.

• In Passenger Side, is Jeff singing "but I had a . . . .scene" or, as bemydemon would have it "but I hadn't seen." I've always thought the former, and to me it's sort of like the Ummm on I'm a Wheel--supposed to be a cryptic.

In the Roadcase download for Red Rocks Night #2 (and probably in tons of other places), that line in Passenger Side is very clearly "had a scene" -- you can hear Jeff playing with the line and he purposefully stutters a little and elongates the word scene. A lightbulb moment for me, anyway!

From Forget the Flowers--

You're trying my patience, try pink carnations, red roses, yellow Daffodils

What I want to hear is:

You're trying IMPATIENS, try pink carnations, red roses, yellow daffodils.

Would keep with the flora theme...