i'm with you on the neil young 'feeling' thing. i think that's why i like most of his stuff...i like the feeling. although, that's probably true for most artists i've ever been really into. concerning his lyrics, i think neil has said in interviews that he is more primitive in his words than say, dylan.

Thanks vacant...I think you've managed to articulate what I was trying to say. I also think, lyrically, I'm a lot more critical as I've got older, which is a bit of a failing in some respects. When I hear clunky lyrics, like those of that first new track, I pick up on them much quicker than when I was young and listening to Rust Never Sleeps and Comes a Time.

That said I do love the 'feel' of the new tracks I've heard and 'Love and War' and 'Walk with me' are good. 'Hitchhiker' with that production should sound great.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks vacant...I think you've managed to articulate what I was trying to say. I also think, lyrically, I'm a lot more critical as I've got older, which is a bit of a failing in some respects. When I hear clunky lyrics, like those of that first new track, I pick up on them much quicker than when I was young and listening to Rust Never Sleeps and Comes a Time.

That said I do love the 'feel' of the new tracks I've heard and 'Love and War' and 'Walk with me' are good. 'Hitchhiker' with that production should sound great.

yeah, looking forward to Hitchhiker.

The entire "Le Noise" has leaked out as of this morning.

i love it. not listening again till it comes out. :cheers

it really is pretty neat how the different guitar strings are separated in the stereo channels.

As of two listens I'd say its a fairly mediocre record that would be much worse for the lack of effects which make it interesting.

I havent heard the new one.

I enjoyed living with war, but it is hard to listen to more than once in awhile because of the theme. Chrome Dreams suffered from the completely out of place sounding "ordinary people" which is a cool song, but I am more of a fan of a live version I have on bootleg. Dont like the synths. I like prairie wind. I loved greendale, but more because it is a weird lo-fi garage opera. I like how dirty and strange it is, and I love the guitar parts.

I think the last classic "wow" NY record was sleeps with angels. It took me a long time to "get" that record, but now I listen to the first side on my vinyl copy all the time. It is a spooky, strange, and haunting record.

So what was the last close to good record Neil put out?? Prairie Wind??

LouieB

Neil is more a legend than an artist these days

Neil is more a legend than an artist these days

right. i mean if pressed his last really good album was Rust Never Sleeps. of course he's had some 'comebacks' etc. but the fair weather fans probably see him as floundering since 1979. which is cool. that's probably true for most of those 70s bands. i'm a neil fan, however. damn, i find the way the guy sings the word 'through' ascetically pleasing, so i pretty much warm up to what ever he does. anyway, don't know if that has anything to do with this thread:)

I havent heard the new one.

I enjoyed living with war, but it is hard to listen to more than once in awhile because of the theme. Chrome Dreams suffered from the completely out of place sounding "ordinary people" which is a cool song, but I am more of a fan of a live version I have on bootleg. Dont like the synths. I like prairie wind. I loved greendale, but more because it is a weird lo-fi garage opera. I like how dirty and strange it is, and I love the guitar parts.

I think the last classic "wow" NY record was sleeps with angels. It took me a long time to "get" that record, but now I listen to the first side on my vinyl copy all the time. It is a spooky, strange, and haunting record.

yeah, ordinary people was kinda out of place there. oh well.

RIP David Briggs.

So what was the last close to good record Neil put out??

I think Chrome Dreams II perfectly fits your description. It is an uneven record, but I absolutely LOVE No Hidden Path and Dirty Old Man. I'm also a big fan of Ordinary People and Spirit Road. The Way is solid too. The rest? Not so much.

As far a stuff he's released since 2000 goes, I think Greendale is an absolute masterpiece. I love that album. I really liked Living With War when it came out, but I can't say I find myself going back to it these days. It is what it is - an angry, passionate, off-the-cuff response to a situation that was riddled with bullshit. In that sense, it's classic Neil. I enjoy Silver & Gold and Prairie Wind, but I wouldn't classify either as vintage Neil. I cannot and will not defend Are You Passionate? and Fork in the Road. Aside from Goin' Home on AYP, big swings and misses. I've listened to Le Noise several times. The guitar and the Lanois-manipulated effects are neat, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the songs. I need to spend more time with it before I form any coherent opinions.

for the person that said Rust Never Sleeps was the last classic album.....what about Ragged Glory...that is epic...and for the person that said he is not really an artist anymore......I don't think that you really mean that. The guy continues to put out new and interesting stuff (not everthing is that great) but at least he makes new music and does not do the great hits thing like 99.9% of the other due (Rolling Stones, Who, Tom Petty, Roger Waters and the list goes on and on)

for the person that said Rust Never Sleeps was the last classic album.....what about Ragged Glory...that is epic...and for the person that said he is not really an artist anymore......I don't think that you really mean that. The guy continues to put out new and interesting stuff (not everthing is that great) but at least he makes new music and does not do the great hits thing like 99.9% of the other due (Rolling Stones, Who, Tom Petty, Roger Waters and the list goes on and on)

yes, ragged glory can be seen as a classic. i was just thinking of his run from 69-79 that was legendary. good point about the other classic rock acts. recently went to see petty and was hoping to hear a bunch of the new album jammed out live. to no avail. played hit after hit :)

and to the comment above about 'not defending Fork or Passionate?'--hilarious and right on:)

I meant exactly what I said. Neil has been given a free pass for the last 20 years. Ragged Glory and Greendale extended his credibility; but he is more iconic than relevant.

I meant exactly what I said. Neil has been given a free pass for the last 20 years. Ragged Glory and Greendale extended his credibility; but he is more iconic than relevant.

I think you can add Freedom, Harvest Moon, and Sleeps Like Angels to that list. Also, while not a proper studio album, Weld is fucking fantastic. I've seen him close to twenty times over the time period you allude to. Pretty relevant live performer if you ask me. His recent output can't stack up to his 60's/70's material. But, then again, not many (if any) artists can measure up to that period. I'm curious as to who has given him a "free pass." His fans? Critics? Record executives? I think it's a widely-held belief that he can be fairly inconsistent and has been known to follow his muse to a fault at times. He certainly is more iconic than relevant, but he is still very relevant today.