2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

Suspensions were handed out for the Nationals/Marlins fracas.

Volstad got 6 games, Sanchez 3. Nats coach Pat Listach got 3, and he, as a coach, cannot appeal.

And Morgan received 8 more games off in addition to the pending 7 for the Philly fan incident. Bowling over the Cardinals catcher and talking shit to Marlins fans were mitigating factors.

There were others suspended, too, and everybody involved was fined as well. Most of the players should get their suspensions reduced, but even if Morgan gets his reduced, he's facing double digit days off regardless.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Listach. Didn't know he was a coach these days.

Had a successful run as a manager in the Cubs system before landing the Nats 3rd base coach position. He's the one who gave the very large Volstad the welt on his face. He either knocked him with his helmet or rapped with his fist, there are conflicting reports. If he has aspirations of being a big league manager, he may want to stick to pulling guys off instead of jumping on the pile.

I'll go with the manager in the thick of it, as opposed to the mgr "pulling guys off the pile" every time.

just my humble opinion.

That's fine if you already are a manager! Listach has yet to become one at the big league level. I'm sure he's a heck of a guy, but he may not want to put out the wrong impression to GM's. Plus, even though he's much younger, we must remember Don Zimmer and what happens to coaches when they take on a player. You get thumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJWaGxVh-tI

I personally don't have a problem with Morgan stealing the bases, but I also can understand why Volstad did.

I think pretty much everything that happened in that game was a pretty reasonable reaction to a prior action.

Why would it be reasonable for Volstad to have a problem with Morgan stealing two bases? Volstad was the reason Morgan was on base, they were trailing by a margin, and it was early in the game. Was it reasonable for Volstad to go head-hunting 9being the back)? Was it reasonable for Morgan to get clotheslined? I'm not sure it is, regardless of Morgan being a douche.

The hit into the catcher the previous night would be said to have been aggressive base-running by some if it wasn't morgan who barreled into the catcher, too. It wasn't that far of a stretch that he could have been safe, too. It was close.

The hit into the catcher the previous night would be said to have been aggressive base-running by some if it wasn't morgan who barreled into the catcher, too. It wasn't that far of a stretch that he could have been safe, too. It was close.

There was enough plate available to slide across. The catcher ended up with a seperated shoulder. Just days before he knocked over the Cards backup catcher, hurting him. In that situation he could have just ran across the plate. Instead Morgan went out of his way to hit the catcher, missed the plate entirely, was then called out because Ivan Rodriguez grabbed him and pushed him back to home, telling Morgan to touch the plate. Morgan hadn't realized he didn't actually score. He's been knocking down catchers when he doesn't have to, so teammates back each other up. It's called players self-policing each other.

In one week's time Nyjer Morgan injured two catchers and a female fan in Philadelphia when he threw at a ball at a heckler and missed his intended target. He set himself up to be beaned and clotheslined, as well as the pending double suspensions he's facing. Of course, he claims to be an innocent victim, oppressed and misunderstood. We don't misunderstand. He's an angry little fuck who needs to learn to focus his energy on athletic success. He's a terrible hitter, gets picked offed and thrown out more than any base runner in the league (despite his speed and high stolen base count), and he can't get over himself and what the fans are saying to him. Basically he's an eighth-grader.

There was enough plate available to slide across. The catcher ended up with a seperated shoulder. Just days before he knocked over the Cards backup catcher, hurting him. In that situation he could have just ran across the plate. Instead Morgan went out of his way to hit the catcher, missed the plate entirely, was then called out because Ivan Rodriguez grabbed him and pushed him back to home, telling Morgan to touch the plate. Morgan hadn't realized he didn't actually score. He's been knocking down catchers when he doesn't have to, so teammates back each other up. It's called players self-policing each other.

In one week's time Nyjer Morgan injured two catchers and a female fan in Philadelphia when he threw at a ball at a heckler and missed his intended target. He set himself up to be beaned and clotheslined, as well as the pending double suspensions he's facing. Of course, he claims to be an innocent victim, oppressed and misunderstood. We don't misunderstand. He's an angry little fuck who needs to learn to focus his energy on athletic success. He's a terrible hitter, gets picked offed and thrown out more than any base runner in the league (despite his speed and high stolen base count), and he can't get over himself and what the fans are saying to him. Basically he's an eighth-grader.

Yeah...we all know about how players who take out catchers when they don't have too are jerks...

all-star-one.jpg

Surprised no one is talking about the pennant races.

The NL looks like the most exciting (at least right now) to follow.

NL East

Philadelphia took 1st place with (Florida, @ New York, @ Florida, Washington, Atlanta, New York, @ Washington, @ Atlanta :mellow )

Atlanta .5 game behind. 2-5 since September began. (@ Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Washington, @ New York, @ Philadelphia, @ Washington, Florida, Philadelphia :mellow )

NL Central

Reds look like they have it sealed up with (@ Colorado, Pittsburgh, Arizona, @ Houston, @ Milwaukee, @ San Diego, Houston, Milwaukee)

St. Louis 6 games back. (@ Milwaukee, @ Atlanta, Chicago, San Diego, @ Florida, @ Pittsburgh, @ Chicago, Pittsburgh, Colorado)

NL West

Padres lost 10 in a row over the last week & a half and only have a 1 game lead over (Los Angeles, San Fran :stunned, @ Col, @ St. Louis, @ Los Angeles, Cinci, Chi,@ San Fran :blink )

San Francisco. (@ Arizona, @ San Diego, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, @ Chicago, @ Colorado, Arizona, San Diego :yes )

NL Wild Card

This is where I get all hot and bothered. :pirate I love it when 4 teams are tied up between being in 1st then trying to hang on for dear life to make the Wild Card.

Atlanta (.568) after losing 1st place last night has a 1 game lead over the

Giants (.561) who can overtake the sagging Padres to take their own division.

AL East

Yankees....can I just say here that Forest Whitaker (aka CC Sabathia) lost yesterday against the Orioles? He was outpitched by Jake Arrieta. It's also his 1st loss at Yankee Stadium, since July 2009.

(Baltimore, @ Texas, @ Tampa Bay, @ Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Boston, @ Toronto, @ Boston :shifty )

Rays 1.5 games back. (@ Boston, @ Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, @ NY for 4, Seattle, Baltimore, @ KC for 4 while the Yankees take on the Sox who may act as spoilers here to decide this)

AL Central

Twins (won 5 straight) (KC, @ Cleveland, @ Chicago, Oakland, Cleveland, @ Detroit, @ KC, Toronto)

White Sox 4.5 games back (7-3 in last 10 games) (@ Detroit, KC, Minnesota, Detroit, @ Oakland, @ Los Angeles, Boston, Cleveland)

AL West

Texas....don't let me down. I picked you to go to the World Series. Hamilton is out and Lee has been 2-5 since being acquired. Plus, he skipped his last start with back issues and a cortisone shot.

(@ Toronto, New York, Detroit, @ Seattle, @ Los Angeles, @ Oakland, Seattle, Los Angeles)

A's 7 games behind.(Seattle, Boston, @KC, @ Minnesota, Chicago, Texas, @ Los Angeles, @ Seattle)

AL Wild Card

Tampa Bay

White Sox 7 games behind

Thoughts: Well, this section won't look as ugly. I have a feeling that the World Series winner will be a National League team. I can't picture the Yankees repeating, nevermind trying to take 3 in a row again in the ALDS. They just don't have much pitching after Sabathia and Phil Hughes.

I like Tampa Bay the most out of the AL. As I mentioned earlier, the Rangers have some issues that aren't great to have this time of year. I don't think the Twins have enough to go very far. This is a real tossup. I'd like to say the Rangers, but something tells me that Joe Maddon will take them back to the World Series.

The Reds look like they have the best chance of winning it all. I love the fact that there's different teams involved this season. It makes things fresh and more interesting. We're actually not going to have a Boston & L.A. Angels ALDS. The Phillies look really good with their pitching (Roy & Roy) for the ALDS. Can Atlanta give Bobby Cox a ring for his parting gift?

ALCS: Rays over Rangers.

NLCS: Reds over Braves.

World Series: Reds over Rays

Oh, and I'd like to have (and I think we'll see one this year in the NL) a one off playoff game for the Wild Card. It's 1 game now between them, but those 4 teams are so entwined between being division leaders and the wild card leader that this should be tight and will be like 2007 where the Rockies had that amazing 13 inning game against the Padres.

Finally, I guess this post is a reaction to the upcoming NFL season. I'll be watching that with interest too. I'm just not going to be one of those who skips out on September baseball only to rejoin it in October for the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken Burns new Baseball Doc had a very interesting take on the Steroid abuse scandal of tne 90's and its context in the tradition of cheating in baseball.