2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 52 shots to left and left-center, 1 homer to dead center, Jose Bautista's 54th round tripper was his first opposite-field home run all season. That dude is playing golf. Last week Bautista hit a foul ball completely out of the Rogers Centre, which is damned hard to do.

For a guy who's never hit more than 16 HRs in a season (and 15 in a season with comparable ABs), it, unfortunately in this era, seems suspect that he'd hit so many this year.

Ya think?

After 52 shots to left and left-center, 1 homer to dead center, Jose Bautista's 54th round tripper was his first opposite-field home run all season. That dude is playing golf. Last week Bautista hit a foul ball completely out of the Rogers Centre, which is damned hard to do.

According to FanGraphs.com, that's the first opposite field homer of his career.

For a guy who's never hit more than 16 HRs in a season (and 15 in a season with comparable ABs), it, unfortunately in this era, seems suspect that he'd hit so many this year.

Yeah...but he plays for the love of the game

maybe. but players in prior eras were not as focused on $, which is what I meant.

Sure they were, even more so, since their low salaries put them far closer to the edge than today's ballplayers.

The sense that players always tried to get around the rules: spit balls, cutting the baseballs with rings, and amphetamines.

I missed this the other day. To imply that steroids are in the same ballpark (no pun intended) as these other things you mention is ludicrous. If this is what Burns' latest edition argues, then no thanks.

Jose Bautista's swing is noticeably different this year than in the past, and he is not noticeably larger. He may be on 'roids but I actually doubt it. I think there's enough reason to believe he's legit to give him the benefit of the doubt. Also, I don't really care if he did steroids anyway.

I missed this the other day. To imply that steroids are in the same ballpark (no pun intended) as these other things you mention is ludicrous. If this is what Burns' latest edition argues, then no thanks.

Burns doesn't argue anything. He presents people with differing opinions on the issue.

Jose Bautista's swing is noticeably different this year than in the past, and he is not noticeably larger. He may be on 'roids but I actually doubt it. I think there's enough reason to believe he's legit to give him the benefit of the doubt. Also, I don't really care if he did steroids anyway.

Cito Gaston says Bautista is very coachable and has been more disciplined on pitch selection, spitting on pitches he used to be unable to lay off of. Gaston is also the first manager to give Bautista an everyday job without having to worry about just being a utility player anymore. He still plays both RF and 3B, but Bautista was assured a job after Rios was picked up by the White Sox last August. He responded with 10 homers in September '09. He's bounced around, mostly being used as a bench player because of his versatility. The Pirates picked him in around the 20th round back when there was still the draft-and-follow rule in place. Most scouts viewed Bautista as 2nd to 4th round talent, so Pittsburgh gave him 3rd round money to leave school. Since then Bautista has been slowed down by being a Rule V pick, been traded several times, played on horrible teams, and has been used for utility only. Cito Gaston was really the first manager to just let him play. I don't think Gaston will ever be given enough credit as being a great manager. He'll always be overshadowed by the great players on his back-to-back championship teams and the fact he did it in Canada. He's retiring from managing and I hope the Jays find a solid replacement because they have got some good things going on in that organization. The AL East could be a battle royal next year if the Jays and O's take a step forward.

Today's/Tomorrow's/(maybe) Tuesday's Wild Card scenarios.

It took 162 games to set up the dominos. Sunday is the day they get knocked down.

None of the first-round playoff matchups are set as the season hits its final day. Two spots in the National League are still under contention. Seedings across the board have not yet been determined. The result: the ultimate baseball Sunday funday.

The winners of two divisions and two Wild Cards will be decided in Game No. 162 (or 163 or 164, more on that later). Only two clubs know where they will be headed when the playoffs start. Given all that must be accomplished on Sunday, the stakes are staggeringly high.

"You can get stretched out if you start thinking about all the scenarios," said Padres manager Bud Black. "The easiest thing for me, our coaching staff and our players is to concentrate on the single game. But this is great stuff. It's great for the game of baseball. You can't beat this feeling as it has been going on, the whole ride all year for this group of players. It's been one of the best years I've been around to witness the effect this has had on our team."

It all starts at 1:35 p.m. ET.

The scenarios are easier to lay out in the American League, but the National League has the potential for much more drama. Historical drama. Along the way, several clubs will tune up for the postseason, while others will be trying to make their mark as spoilers. It's enough to make your head spin. So consider this a final-day FAQ.

What happens if the Padres win ...

Should San Diego win the 4:05 p.m. ET contest in San Francisco, there could be a play-in game between the Padres and Giants. San Diego won the season series between the clubs -- right now it stands at 12-5 -- so the game would be held at PETCO Park.

The Padres are trying to do something unprecedented. No team has ever swept the final series of the season to force a play-in game, then won that game. The closest any team has come was in 1980, when the Dodgers took three in a row from the Astros to force the tiebreaker, but dropped the fourth.

... and the Braves win?

San Diego and San Francisco would face off in the play-in game Monday at PETCO Park. The winner would be declared NL West champion. The loser would face Atlanta in another play-in game to decide the Wild Card. Atlanta won the series series against San Diego (4-2) and San Francisco (4-3), so the play-in game would be held at Turner Field.

... and the Braves fall?

There would be no need for a play-in game between the Padres and Giants. San Diego would take the NL West, and San Francisco would be the Wild Card. San Diego would host Cincinnati in the first round, while San Francisco would play in Philadelphia.

The Phillies have some degree of control over their first-round opponent. Philadelphia will face Cincinnati in the first round if the Braves win the Wild Card. If the Wild Card comes from the West, that club will play the Phillies.

Braves manager Bobby Cox said that he wouldn't have it any other way, even though a Braves loss and Padres win would mean that Cox's managerial career is finished.

What happens if the Giants win ...

San Francisco wins the West.

The situation is not very complex for the Giants: Win and they're in.

... and the Braves win?

Atlanta would win the Wild Card, and San Diego would be eliminated.

... and the Braves lose?

Atlanta and San Diego would be tied atop the Wild Card standings, and a play-in game would be held at Turner Field on Monday.

Where do the Reds go in the first round?

That depends on what happens in the West. If the Wild Card comes from the West, the Reds will face the winner of that division. If the Braves win the Wild Card, the Reds would open on the road against the Phillies, because divisional opponents Atlanta and Philadelphia can't face off in the first round.

The situation in the American League is much more simple.

What happens if the Rays win ...

Because Tampa Bay owns the head-to-head tiebreaker over New York, the Rays need to finish even with or ahead of the Yankees in the AL East. The clubs enter play Sunday tied.

... and the Yankees win?

If the Rays win, they hold all the cards in the AL postseason hand, regardless of what the Yankees do. Tampa Bay owns the tiebreaker against New York, by virtue of a 10-8 season series record. The Rays also hold the tiebreaker over the Twins because they topped the Twins in the season series, 5-3.

What happens if the Rays lose ...

The Rays could still drop into the Wild Card spot and open the postseason in Minnesota, provided they lose and the Yankees win.

The Yankees will win the division and host the Rangers.

Who do the Twins play in the first round?

The Twins are locked into the second seed in the first round, because they dropped the season series to both the Yankees and Rays. The best the Twins can do is equal the Yankees and Rays with 95 wins, and because of the tiebreakers, the Twins can't surpass them. Minnesota will open the postseason at Target Field, where it enters Sunday with a 53-27 record, against the Wild Card winner.

Where will the Rangers go?

The Rangers will open the Division Series in the home stadium of the AL East winner, whoever that may be.