2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the Mets' press conference on MLB regarding Manuel & Minaya and the owner using words like "we don't like where we've been, so we decided to 'relieve' them of their duty".

Don't you wish that they could do the same to themselves? I mean at what point did they say "ok, this is enough."? The team doesn't really look that bad on paper and I hate it when managers get the boot in a response to a bad season by a somewhat bad team (in relation to the NL East) put together by the GM. I don't see Werner, Luchino & Henry shipping off Theo Epstein after his Hot Stove '09 talk about "pitching and defense" a.k.a. "Let's Tighten The Purse Until Those 2010 Free Agents Become Available In November Of 2010".

Free advice for the Mets: Trade Johan Santana for a top of the line AAA pitcher on his way to being called up and another top caliber rookie player wherever they need it: OF or IF.

I am sure that Santana deserves a change of scenery and there should be some teams out there desperate for a pitcher like him or rather "like he was". He has suffered there long enough and I wonder what Twins fans think if Johan was there when they've made the playoffs without him.

Speaking of the playoffs, I really like the Twins Vs. the Rays in the ALCS. I don't think the Yankees can get past their pitching problems. Plus, if they do get to the ALCS then they would probably have to throw in A.J. or Javier Vazquez for a Game 4 and I'm not sure they want to risk that. Although, I wouldn't mind an ALCS between the Rays & Yankees where the Rays win and go on to become World Series Champions. This is their year. The GM mentioned that they won't be spending the money in the offseason to resign folks like Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena etc.

On a side note I am going to say that the Red Sox really picked the worst year to get injured. I think they might have dominated the AL East with their pitching. Not to mention the playoffs. I don't really see one clear cut powerhouse this year. Every team seems a bit worn and tattered.

I guess the worst part about the Red Sox is wondering who won't be coming back next year. It was quite the emotional last game of the year for them yesterday afternoon. A lot of potential goodbyes.

Johan Santana finished up his year with shoulder problems. Only a fool would take on that contract ("paging the Seattle Mariners").

Ah. I didn't realize that, although I know at some point he was shutdown. Maybe Seattle can pick up Santana & Bonderman.

Ah. I didn't realize that, although I know at some point he was shutdown. Maybe Seattle can pick up Santana & Bonderman.

Santana actually had surgery to repair a tear in a capsule in bottom front of the shoulder. Mets are giving a ST/early season return, but that's from the Mets medical staff. Other reports are predicting a post-ASG return. Who knows, maybe they'll reap the benefits of receiving Milton Bradley in his free agent year!

God that felt good. Brought me right back too, Oil Can. I could always do with less Lenny Clarke (does anyone outside of Boston even know who that guy is?), but the interviews, the footage of the players (particularly Millar) and the pacing was exhilarating.

Can I just say GO TWINS?!!!

Do not let down Red Sox Nation. This is your year to get "that" monkey off of your back. Think about it: you f'ing lucked out. You're only playing the Yankees in a Best Of 5 series. If C.C. pitches twice and possibly wins both of those games, then you have a very good chance at winning the other 3 off of Hughes & Andy P.

Meanwhile, on TBS it's Price vs. Cliff Lee. Priceless. Ah, yes October baseball and no heart attack, butterflies in the stomach feelings since my team isn't in it this year. It'll be nice and relaxing to watch. Is this what it feels like to be a Pirates fan?

I think I've lost about 5-10 years with all of the recent New England sports team(s) successes and some failures. Game 7 for the Celtics this past June was pretty bad. I swear that I had a mild heart attack during that tense game. Let's just hope it's anxiety.

Can I change my mind and say Phillies & Rays in the World Series?

What monkey does Minnesota have on its back? This is only the second playoff victory in the history of the Rangers organization, and they are the only team to have never won a playoff series.

Go Rangers! :dancing

What monkey does Minnesota have on its back? This is only the second playoff victory in the history of the Rangers organization, and they are the only team to have never won a playoff series.

Go Rangers! :dancing

New York usually owns them in the post season, unless if I am revising history in my head?

Last year they got swept in 3.

Will the year of the no hitter strike again on opening day of the playoffs?

un- bee-lieve - able.

It was great to hear 'High Hopes" in the background at the Bank tonight while they were interviewing Doc.

Harry and whitey are smiling tonight.

I'm a Phils fan, but many of my family are Reds fans because they live within an hour of Cincinnati. I say no matter about emotions, Halladay's performance was a terrific feat! This is only the second time in post season history that a no hitter was thrown. It should be celebrated as a great individual accomplishment by the best pitcher in the game, but a couple of my relatives wont even begrudgingly tip their cap to the man. I suppose they'd feel better if the Reds lost to a Roy Halladay 4-0, 5 hit shutout instead.

It should be celebrated as a great individual accomplishment by the best pitcher in the game, but a couple of my relatives wont even begrudgingly tip their cap to the man.

I'd question their love for the Reds if they did.

I'd question their love for the Reds if they did.

If it were the other way around I would. If Schilling had pitched for the Yanks and not the Sox, wouldn't you be impressed with his individual performance, Yankee-hate not withstandinding?

I wonder if Halladay has some studio time set aside after the post season to rejoin Coldplay.

Awesome game yesterday. Not so awesome was the Twins up 4-0 on Sabathia no less, then blowing it very quickly.

If they had won that game against C.C. no less, they would have gotten a lot of people's attention and the Yanks would be shaking in their boots depending on Hughes and Pettitte.

Anyways...

Oh yeah, Cliff Lee looked great (after the 1st inning, of course).

Edit: Also, I've been having a tough time finding 4 Days In October on the channel listings. I had to cave in and go on the official ESPN site. It's on tonight at 11pm on ESPN Classic.

Not sure why I used "no less" twice up there?

Awesome game yesterday. Not so awesome was the Twins up 4-0 on Sabathia no less, then blowing it very quickly.

If they had won that game against C.C. no less, they would have gotten a lot of people's attention and the Yanks would be shaking in their boots depending on Hughes and Pettitte.

They were only up 3-0.