Songs not good enough for the album they are on

beg to differ. the one I most hear maligned on Blood on the Tracks is "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts," (I might as well say it before someone else does) but the album needs both those songs. "Lily.." as a bit of lightness to make the pain on the rest of the record tolerable, and "Meet me.." for, among other things, the blistering pedal steel solo and the story behind it.

fair point. As with many songs they work in the album context even if they aren't that great. What is the story behind 'meet me in the morning'?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lonesome Cowboy Bill"

from

Velvet Underground - Loaded

Used to be one of my favorite tracks on the album, but I have now come to realize that it really is just a steaming pile, compared to the other great tunes on there.

REM- "Shiny Happy People" (Out of Time)

The Cure- "Friday I'm in Love" (Wish)

My Morning Jacket- "Highly Suspicious" (Evil Urges)

Rocket from the Crypt- "Eye On You" (RFTC)

Dylan- "Rainy Day Women 12 & 35" and "Pledging My Time" (Blonde on Blonde) (I ALWAYS skip the first two tracks of BoB)

fair point. As with many songs they work in the album context even if they aren't that great. What is the story behind 'meet me in the morning'?

The record was recorded in two sessions, first in new york then in minneapolis. The new york session was done with lots of pro session guys. "Meet Me.." was from this session, and the pedal steel player (Buddy Cage)was the guy from New Riders of the Purple Sage, played the Jerry Garcia Band (not sure about these chronologies). Anyway the guy comes in, lays down a track, Dylan's not happy with it, they try it again, still no luck.. This goes on for a while, Dylan never giving the guy any direction or instructions. They try seven or eight takes, Dylan the whole time just saying "do it again." Fianlly he goes in to Cage and starts getting verbally abusive, put his boot under the pedal bar and says something like "the first five verses shut up. On the last one, PLAY!" then storms out of the room.

There were a bunch of people in the studio (including Mick Jagger) and Cage felt Dylan had publicly humiliated him and treated his instrument disrespectfully. So the tape rolls, and Cage plays the blistering, angry pedal steel solo, and when he's done packs up his stuff and storms out- through the control room where Dylan is laughing, saying that it was beautiful. Cage realizes the whole thing was just an act to get him pissed off enough to play what Dylan wanted him to. Then they all got drunk, and Mick got the drunkest.

that is not through any deficiency in the first two, imho, but because the third one is so stunningly good you just wait to get there. But maybe I've chimed in on Dylan enough in this thread...

Hey...feel free to chime. They're chimes of freedom!

sorry!

The record was recorded in two sessions, first in new york then in minneapolis. The new york session was done with lots of pro session guys. "Meet Me.." was from this session, and the pedal steel player (Buddy Cage)was the guy from New Riders of the Purple Sage, played the Jerry Garcia Band (not sure about these chronologies).

Not to be a dick but Buddy never played in the JGB.....

The record was recorded in two sessions, first in new york then in minneapolis. The new york session was done with lots of pro session guys. "Meet Me.." was from this session, and the pedal steel player (Buddy Cage)was the guy from New Riders of the Purple Sage, played the Jerry Garcia Band (not sure about these chronologies). Anyway the guy comes in, lays down a track, Dylan's not happy with it, they try it again, still no luck.. This goes on for a while, Dylan never giving the guy any direction or instructions. They try seven or eight takes, Dylan the whole time just saying "do it again." Fianlly he goes in to Cage and starts getting verbally abusive, put his boot under the pedal bar and says something like "the first five verses shut up. On the last one, PLAY!" then storms out of the room.

There were a bunch of people in the studio (including Mick Jagger) and Cage felt Dylan had publicly humiliated him and treated his instrument disrespectfully. So the tape rolls, and Cage plays the blistering, angry pedal steel solo, and when he's done packs up his stuff and storms out- through the control room where Dylan is laughing, saying that it was beautiful. Cage realizes the whole thing was just an act to get him pissed off enough to play what Dylan wanted him to. Then they all got drunk, and Mick got the drunkest.

:lol :yay :w00t :thumbup :cheers

It's Just That Simple - AM

I always skip Rainy Day Women too.

I didn't use to like It's just that simple either, but have grown to love it. When I saw them play it a month ago, it was a highlight of the show. go figure.

i often skip Rainy Day Women too, but that doesn't mean i think it isn't good enough to be on the record.

And just to show youse that I can contribute to this thread, rather than simply objecting to everyone else's contributions:

Pavement: "Hit the Plane Down" from "Crooked Rain,.."

"Four Sticks" - There's a reason why it was the only LZ4 track on the second box set: "Buh buh buh BAH buh buh"....BLECH!

"Bugs" & "Stupid Mop" from Pearl Jam's "Vitalogy"

And I'm going to get killed for this, but...

"Kamera"

Not a bad song, I suppose. But I feel YHF suffers from having truly great songs along side only decent songs. "War on War", I'm looking at you, too!

Also, all of Yoko's songs on "Double Fantasy" :yucky

Also, all of Yoko's songs on "Double Fantasy" :yucky

Close minded? Those tracks have some killer grooves.

i can promise you i will never like It's Just That Simple. i think it is terrible and sticks out like a sore thumb on AM.

It sticks out because someone different is singing it!

I didn't use to like It's just that simple either, but have grown to love it. When I saw them play it a month ago, it was a highlight of the show. go figure.

I love hearing John sing, but I gotta admit I wish there was another Wilco song that he sang that I liked a little better. It's awesome live, but not because it's a good song. Just because John sings it ... and Jeff plays bass... Here's hoping that John gets to sing something on the new record that we can all request and go nuts over besides that one...