Albums you shouldn't like, but you do

Is there an album out there that is completely representative of a TYPE of music that you hate, but for some reason you love that one damn album?

For me, this is a prime example:

51MzEZ5vTbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am not a fan of the 1960's/1970's female folk thing. I hate it. Something about it always grates. I think that it's probably those soprano voices that are just too much. But something about The Roches is just so damn wonderful! It falls squarely into that genre that usually irritates me so. But, something about this one is so charming and bizarre.

:wub

Great topic. Love the cover of that Roche's record.

For me it's Siamese Dream from Smashing Pumpkins. In the 90s i was steeped in grateful dead and phish. i avoided the mainstream. Somehow I got into this album. So, so great! I got a free ticket to see them on the first tour for this album where they were playing small, small venues. They opened with Soma. After I got over the initial shock of the mosh pit, I slide back and just loved that spacey grungy rock they were so good at back then.

great topic.

I had a roommate in college who was really into new age music (and prog rock). While I hated most of what he played, I developed a fondness for some of Ray Lynch's work. I play the following 3 albums on a semi-regular basis -- at least once every few months. Very bubbly, light & mysterious -- puts me in a great mood.

140.jpgNo+Blue+Thing.jpg9297.jpg

I have yet to come across anything else called "new age" that has the same effect on me...

I dig that Roches disc quite a bit. Though I guess it would be lumped into the folk category that record covers a lot more ground stylistically than most folk records. I haven't listened to Siamese Dream in ages but I played it a lot when it first came out. Pretty sure I'd still like that one.

41RASJE9R2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The second side (yes, I remember this album on vinyl) beginning with Pirate Looks at Forty. No, I'm not a parrothead, and I haven't liked much of what he's done in recent years, but I sure did love this album at the time, and it still takes me back when I listen to those last 5 tracks.

great topic.

I had a roommate in college who was really into new age music (and prog rock). While I hated most of what he played, I developed a fondness for some of Ray Lynch's work. I play the following 3 albums on a semi-regular basis -- at least once every few months. Very bubbly, light & mysterious -- puts me in a great mood.

140.jpgNo+Blue+Thing.jpg9297.jpg

I have yet to come across anything else called "new age" that has the same effect on me...

for a minute there i thought you were equating new age and prog! whew!

i need some mellow music to listen to. i might check this out. i actually loved that first enya album. :blush

laughed out loud...and then thought of the cultural mix at my wilco shows....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

anyhoo mixed blessings/ guilty pleasures include:

matthew sweeeeeeeeet schtufff

supertramp: breakfast in america (cause i know all the words)

smithereens: crunchy guitar makes me perk up

jon legend: old girlfriend, but i get caught in the aural web

that really bad band that had an album called 'sam's town":

howard jones synth pop maasterpiece

bto

OK MUST STOP NOW......

Is there an album out there that is completely representative of a TYPE of music that you hate, but for some reason you love that one damn album?

Let me just say I don't hate hip-hop; I own very few hip-hop records and rarely listen to them, so this would be "odd" for people who know me. But there was a period when this never left my car, or the kitchen at work, etc.

51krXaz2bCL._SS500_.jpg

b1fdd250fca0d76567d16010.L._AA300_.jpg

Every time I hear a Billy Squier song, I cannot believe how much I love it. The man can write some great rock hooks. I mean: "The Stroke", "Lonely is the Night", "Everybody Wants You", "My Kind of Lover", "In the Dark", and so on. I forget just how many great songs he has. So, I'm with you on this one, cryptique.

Let me just say I don't hate hip-hop; I own very few hip-hop records and rarely listen to them, so this would be "odd" for people who know me. But there was a period when this never left my car, or the kitchen at work, etc.

51krXaz2bCL._SS500_.jpg

Bizarre. They have so many better albums. Listen to How I Got Over. Pretty good case for hip hop's potential to really say something lyrically. I put that album up there with the best I've ever heard, lyrically.

Bizarre. They have so many better albums. Listen to How I Got Over. Pretty good case for hip hop's potential to really say something lyrically. I put that album up there with the best I've ever heard, lyrically.

the new roots is great, especially the first half. but the second half is too much typical bragging rap shit. those first 6 or 7 songs though, amazing.