Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

Which version did you guys read? The 1000 + page version, or the original version?

The other King books I like are The Talisman and Black House. I never really got into him except for The Dark Tower, The Stand, and the other two books above. And maybe Hearts in Atlantis.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which version did you guys read? The 1000 + page version, or the original version?

The other King books I like are The Talisman and Black House. I never really got into him except for The Dark Tower, The Stand, and the other two books above. And maybe Hearts in Atlantis.

I think it was the original version. It was the paperback with the bird on it like this:

$T2eC16h,!yUE9s6NGYQ(BR,O)pZYVg~~_32.JPG

Yeah, it was a long time ago so pretty sure it was the original.  I did love Talisman and even "It" for the most part (except the end).  In general I think King is somewhat weak on his endings.  I really like all his short story books as well.  And Salem's lot was really good, Misery, Green Mile.  I think he is really quite good at coming up with unique characters.

Wait, did you say they are making the dark tower into a movie?

Yes - and maybe a series. It was suppose to be Ron Howard directing - but now I don't know.

Anthony - the uncut version came out after the original release. He was made to cut it down in size the first time around. I didn't know that (pre-internet days) until I saw the second version in a supermarket back in the early 1990s.

I think he also changed some dates, and culture references in the versions that came out after the initial release.

9780307947512.jpg

I devoured this on a long plane ride home from Ecuador.  I think it's one of the cooler books I've read in quite a while.  It operates perfectly on two levels (like so many great books) you can take the narrative, plain and simple and it is a complete and entertaining story.  Or you can take what it's eluding to- pretty much as an allegory of what's wrong with America.  The character works as a sympathetic metaphor for America's failure.

I spent pretty much an entire summer during HS reading The Stand.  I remember being genuinely sad that the book had to end and those characters were no longer going to be part of my life.  

• 2 weeks later...

1e6e88dc22510aa35422a9bc475300eb.jpg

About 2/3 of the way into this. Pretty interesting read so far. This book will be of interest to musicians, music fans, and David Byrne/Talking Heads fans.

• 2 weeks later...

It's also different than most - due to the mode of travel.

Fire Season: Field Notes From A Wilderness Lookout - Philip Connors

(This is a great book. And you also get references to Jack Kerouac and Gary Snyder.)

I am also reading the book I Want My MTV - which makes me feel ancient.

I have 2 on the go at the moment:

628x471.jpg   400000000000000967036_s4.jpg

Still reading The Stand.

The book hit a lull what with all this Gramma Abby stuff.

Stick around, along with The Dark Tower books, it's his best book and I've read quite a few (ten-ish). You'll be sorry when it's over trust me. 1100-page books are bound to hit a slump, me I've been reading The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (the brilliant Michael Chabon) and although it's a mighty good book I've had the challenge of getting over a mid-book slump. All but a few long books have this caveat. (even a Hundred Years of Loneliness, and Marquez is elite-elite). 

I've donated Ask The Dust and The Sun Also Rises to a friend of mine, I'm really inclined to use these two books as a judge of someone's soul/character, I'd have a hard time relating intellectually with somebody who doesn't empathize with the characters of these books or understands them. Stop me when I'm evolving into someone pretentious. (It might be too late, I've cancelled a date with a nice-looking girl recently because she liked Bon Jovi, and when I say nice I mean really nice). 

Oh, I also have a book to recommend,Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.

I'm not sure how to plug this to those who don't know him, let's see. It's a tale about the Johnny Appleseed of Rabies, an absolutely despicable anti-hero who you absolutely root for somehow. It's a time-travel story told by two dozen witnesses but never the main character himself. It's a dark comedy about the disconnect in a technologically plugged in but emotionally plugged out society. If you do know Palahniuk, you'll know the incredible gift for concisely summarizing psychological mind-benders in under ten words is still alive and well and his finger is still on the pulse of an lsd-trip for the average Joe. 

0307275833.jpg

Edited by a-me-with-a-you

"Fire Season" by P Connors

I read this when it came out a few years ago. Excellent book, so jealous of Mr Connors.

I need to re-read this. Haven't since High School & I don't remember much.

I'm deep in Steinbeck land right now and I'm loving it:

16914.JPG

That "Rant" book sounds really intriguing! :yes I always get the best recommendations from this thread.