Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Black Elk Speaks; Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux".

Sometimes the "Great Spirit" stuff gets a bit heavy but the book has offered some interesting tidbits of history so its been worth it.

Such a brutal, tender, compassionate, honest examination of a marriage. Ingmar Bergman writes so clearly and beautifully. It's fascinating.

$(KGrHqNHJCcE+NDwl6EfBQC4eWjNzQ~~60_35.J

"Black Elk Speaks; Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux".

Sometimes the "Great Spirit" stuff gets a bit heavy but the book has offered some interesting tidbits of history so its been worth it.

I remember reading this in a Native American Lit course and really enjoying it. My favorite from that semester was Louise Erdrich's Love Medicine. It's a bit different, but worth checking out, if you haven't already.

9781936365180.jpg

So after the Mitfords and JFK, I decided I couldn't carry John Sayles around with me just yet.

Next up then, three slim volumes:

51qoScldBNL._SY300_.jpg   9781742445335.jpg   9780743273565.jpg

Starting "Joyland" S. King's latest, next.

Well, I lied.

I started a book about the epic Hatfield and McCoy feud instead. I'm not sure who to root for so far......both sides seem mucho crazy. 

I picked up The Pale King, by David Foster Wallace.  It was posthumously published with his editor having to kind of decide how to assemble his notes and various writings intended for it in a way that worked.

It's weird, but for a book about working for the IRS, the nature of boredom, and without a centralized narrator, perspective, or even a definitive ongoing narrative it's totally accessible and enjoyable.  It reminds me of how some of the Calvino stuff is structurally so out there, yet unpretentious in the sense that it's not really about being difficult.  It's like an entertaining collection of musings and anecdotes on a curious topic by an uncommonly gifted writer.

isbn9780575123717-detail.jpg

It has been a long time since I read any Ellison. Too long. While I would not describe this one as a "quick read"—it's too painful a story to classify as such—I could not put it down and I did get through it quickly. Nothing like anything else I've read from him. This is the story of the discovery of a new talent in the early days of rock 'n roll, and how his success corrupts the boy and everybody around him. Further cements, in my mind, the author as one of the very best of the 20th century.

Highly recommended.

Ooh, I'd be very interested in something about the Hatfields and McCoys.  Let us know if it's any good!

The writing seems to be fairly factual so far. You wouldnt believe how complicated the story is and how many people are involved. Besides a number of key players being involved in opposing sides during the Civil War, the ignition point of the conflict was a dispute over hogs.

I've just finished this which has some beautiful descriptions of the rugged country that is the western coast of Australia. Great story, too.

Dirt%20music.jpg

Now I'm onto...

cannery-row-penguin-modern-classics.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the-stand-audiobook-cover.jpg?w=492

never read a Stephen King book before.  Had to go the audiobook route as there's just no other time for it.  has thoroughly creeped me out so far.

the-stand-audiobook-cover.jpg?w=492

never read a Stephen King book before.  Had to go the audiobook route as there's just no other time for it.  has thoroughly creeped me out so far.

That's still the best King book and I have read a bunch of them.