Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jimcrocestory.jpg

I don't really listen to Croce all that much, but grew up hearing his music and always respected him as a songwriter. I spotted this one at the library and couldn't resist picking it up. I'm about 2/3 of the way through, fairly interesting read so far. I think I may have to pull out my old Croce records tomorrow for a little refresher course.

I have the Croce 2 disc anthology. So many good tunes (including songs that weren't hits) from an artist with such a short career and life. I'll have to find that book and read it. I know Jim never got paid for his work and it took a lawsuit for his family to receive their rightful royalties almost ten years after his fateful plane crash. Shameful what record companies do to some artists.

I know Jim never got paid for his work and it took a lawsuit for his family to receive their rightful royalties almost ten years after his fateful plane crash. Shameful what record companies do to some artists.

Yeah, his deal was pretty bad. According to Jim's wife he hated confrontation so a lot of the stuff the record company did went unchallenged. They were never even given a copy of the contract they signed, that's how bad things were.

"Lonesome Animals" Bruce Holbert. Rather philosophical for a novel that falls in the Western genre, excellent read so far.

515EefWsrzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Big Chabon fan but this isn't doing it for me.  I will plow through (because I have a hard time not finishing books) but this is really sprawling and all over the place and I'm having trouble keeping track of what's going on.  There is some great writing but there is also lots of writing that to me seems like he is trying too hard.    

the-sea-is-my-brother-the-lost-novel.jpg

I'm moving through this slowly but quite enjoying it. Reading a young Kerouac's journal where he maps out a future career as a novelist, not so much with hope and planning, but with foresight, absolute knowledge and certainty that the only thing he will do with his life will be to write. It's quite startling.

Strayed was pretty good. I followed that book by reading AWOL on the AT

How was "AWOL?"  I'm on a bit of a hiking-memoir tear right now, reading "Walking North" by Mic Lowther.  The writing isn't great but it's an interesting read anyway.  Next I'm on to "Appalachian Trials."  I think 2013 may hold a little backpacking for me.

"Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher-The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis" by T. Egan

Pretty cool!