Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41xdEGiy%2BjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

An inside glimpse of life under the Nazi regime and a personal tiny rebellion against it. Written just after the war by someone who lived through it himself and was both courted and persecuted by the Nazi administration, and based on a true story.

I almost quit reading it because it was getting too freaky. I've come to terms with the situation so its all good.

It gets freakier, let me tell you...wait until you get to "the first colony"...whoa. :)

It gets freakier, let me tell you...wait until you get to "the first colony"...whoa. :)

Oh yeah....I finished it over the weekend....now reading Neils autobiography.

51FH8CFR32L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

People have been telling me to read this for years.

I finally picked up a copy over the weekend and just started it - and it is great.

This post reminded me it had been quite some time since I read Bryson. Hilarious stuff so far. Love his description of Appalachian Hillbillies. Something like, "fueled by impure corn liquor and lots of un-Biblical sex".

51FH8CFR32L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I finally picked up a copy over the weekend and just started it - and it is great.

Bryson is hilarious! Recently I started listening to the audio version of his "At Home: A Short History of Private Life" and, being a history-of-daily-life-details geek, am finding it riveting. He has a wonderful reading voice.

He's written some of my favorite books, including Walk. My absolute favorite Bryson, and maybe all time favorite,is A Short History of Nearly Everything. Each chapter is a history of a different science subject. This book is outstanding.

41rWKHNW1VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't like abandoning books so let's just say I'm putting down Moby Dick for a while. It is very detail-heavy and it's just not what my head needs right now.

So I found this...

41-gboul4oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just finished John Densmore's autobiography "Riders On The Storm". Wow, he really let Morrison's boozing get to him. Good book, some interesting stories on the times.

I don't like abandoning books so let's just say I'm putting down Moby Dick for a while. It is very detail-heavy and it's just not what my head needs right now.

So I found this...

41-gboul4oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just brought up the below from my basement this past weekend. I read Ask the Dust ages ago...don't remember much about it.

9780060184964.jpg

thanks for the recommendation- just ordered:

Ask the Dust

Telegraph Avenue (pumped!!)- Chabon

and Strong Motion - early Franzen

i've been w/ out a book since The Art of Fielding, which i finished in early fall.

like a relationship that ended, that book was so wonderful, I had to digest and savor prior to jumping into the next , ummmm......

anyhoo, that probably comes off weird, but i bet some of you know what i mean.

ready to jump back in the pool!

I just brought up the below from my basement this past weekend. I read Ask the Dust ages ago...don't remember much about it.

9780060184964.jpg

The third novel in the Bandini Quartet, as it's known. Great book. As is The Brotherhood of the Grape. Bukowski was a big Fante fan, as well.