Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started this one over the Christmas holidays:

51d-2lxiE2L.jpg

What do you think? I was thinking of checking that out.

--Mike

I'm curious about that Rundgren book myself. Does it go back to his working with Badfinger? I remember Badfinger had some horror stories about working with him.

49275960.JPG 64240752.JPG 43933510.JPG 75709546.JPG

These are the four books I got for Christmas. Not sure which one I want to start with yet.

I got Skippy Dies and the Imperfectionists also, but I haven't picked up either yet.

--Mike

What do you think? I was thinking of checking that out.

--Mike

I'm curious about that Rundgren book myself. Does it go back to his working with Badfinger? I remember Badfinger had some horror stories about working with him.

The book gives some interesting glimpses into Todd's various productions both solo and with other artists. It covers his early days with The Nazz and goes from there. I'm only about a 1/3 of the way in, so far it has covered his work with Badfinger*, The Band, Grand Funk Railroad, Hall & Oates, Jesse Winchester, Sparks and his solo records up to the first Utopia record. It seems to be well researched, and although Rundgren didn't participate, there is liberal sprinklings of quotes from Todd and the people he's worked with over the years. As a musician I would have liked a bit deeper insight into the technical and musical aspects of his recordings but that's something probably only Todd could provide adequately. Overall this has been an interesting read. If you're interested in his music or the artists he's worked with definitely grab this.

* There seemed to be some mixed opinions about Rundgren from the Badfinger guys. There was also issues with George Harrison and who actually produced what on the record. George bowed out of the record early into it for the Bangladesh Concerts so Rundgren basically reworked the 4 songs he did and finished off the rest of the record. Later on George was given sole producer credit for the four songs so Todd was a bit taken aback.

49275960.JPG 64240752.JPG 43933510.JPG 75709546.JPG

These are the four books I got for Christmas. Not sure which one I want to start with yet.

I loved loved loved Skippy Dies and was completely underwhelmed by The Imperfectionists.

I loved loved loved Skippy Dies and was completely underwhelmed by The Imperfectionists.

I might have to start with that one then. That's probably the one I'm most looking forward to reading anyway (although it's close).

Just finished:

born-standing-up-9713419.jpeg

and

12651_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

The Steve Martin one was a very quick read. But both are extremely adept at articulating the highs and lows of stand-up from differing perspectives: Martin's is walking away from, and Lee's is returning to.

Now started this:

9780099532361.jpg

Which is more about the power/control battles of the Beatles post-split. It sounds as though it would be a drab tale of courtroom battles but, so far, it's got quite a compelling manner of unravelling the story. One thing against it, the font size of the print is too small, and being a bedtime reader I can manage roughly 3 paragraphs before I'm snoozing.

The perfect read for a snowy day in January.

the-dirty-life-on-farming-food-.jpg

Interestingly, the Kimball farm is located in Essex, New York on Lake Champlain. A tiny town whose simple beauty brought tears to my eyes upon first encountering it after ferrying across Lake Champlain, Vermont to New York.

McCartney.jpg

Pretty good so far, I have been solidly impressed that I have learned a few new things (which considering I have an entire of shelf crowded with Beatles related books is basically what I am looking for from anything about the Fabs at this point).

--Mike

417h3TK4JFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First time that I've ever really sat down to read a screenplay. It's an excellent read.