Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unpopular.jpg

It's not your typical Lincoln love fest book. It talks about how Lincoln was actually despised by his opponents and even many of his allies. The author actually works on the game team that I am a part of and is a good friend of mine. He's the team historian. Very cool guy who is also a bass player and has toured with Todd Rundgren.

Tell your buddy he's gotta get zombies in there or it'll never sell.

Really though, looks like an interesting book. That cover is wild. Is it a reproduction of a cartoon from his time?

lol.. Yeah, they've already done Lincoln the Vampire Hunter.. Zombies must be next..

Yes it is a reproduction of a cartoon. There are many others like it in the book. Some are just down right disturbing.

A few years ago I interviewed a Lincoln scholar and he mentioned he was working on a new Lincoln book, but he declined to talk about the book's angle. Turned out to be the "Lincoln might have been gay" book. :unsure

"Well, everybody knows that [Lincoln was a heterosexual]. What this book presupposes is...maybe [he wasn't]?"

owen-wilson.jpg

"Well, everybody knows that [Lincoln was a heterosexual]. What this book presupposes is...maybe [he wasn't]?"

owen_wilson_the_royal_tenenbaums_001.jpg

Edit: Oops! Now you decide to add your own picture. :stunned

I'm gearing up to read A.C. Weisbecker's cult classic Cosmic Banditos which was supposed to be turned into a film about 7 years ago with John Cusack and Benicio Del Toro.

And I want to read Chuck Palahniuk's Snuff which is about....well look it up yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Swamplandia! and it left a little to be desired. Russell is a brilliant writer and can really turn a phrase. The first 2/3 of the book are stellar. It's dark and filled with just enough magical realism to make it fantastical and interesting without going overboard. I am not a fan of magical realism for the most part, but this was just right. The last 1/3 of the book? Meh. It dragged and it really felt like the author had no idea where to take the story or the characters. It took me awhile to push through to the end. I hate when that happens. :(

Next....

1586488724.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Can anybody recommend to me a good book about eating meat and why it's good for you? It's just that I have recently turned single and I am fearful that I may fall for a nice girl of the vegetarian persuasion who will use her wily ways to convince me that meat is murder. Please help me I am easily led.

• 2 weeks later...