Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

41X27EXRRYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

His style gets some getting use to, but once you've fallen for it, there's nothing more urgent and thrilling than Ellroy at full steam.

I love Ellroy. A number of years ago he came out to Australia for a book reading tour. I went and saw him at the Metro here in Sydney. After the show, he was signing books in the foyer. I had my newly purchased copy of American Tabloid with me. When I reached the front of the line he asked me my name, I told him Fritz. He got really excited. He started in on this rap/monologue about his sitting with his Dad when he was a kid watching television. Every time something came on the box his Dad didn't like he would shout out, "Fuck you, Fritz! Fuck you, Fritz!"

He then asked if could he write 'Fuck you, Fritz' as a message in my book. I agreed and this look of sheer joy came over his face. He signed the book, thanked me and that was it.

It is still one of my most treasured books.

Ellroy 001.jpg

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Ellroy. A number of years ago he came out to Australia for a book reading tour. I went and saw him at the Metro here in Sydney. After the show, he was signing books in the foyer. I had my newly purchased copy of American Tabloid with me. When I reached the front of the line he asked me my name, I told him Fritz. He got really excited. He started in on this rap/monologue about his sitting with his Dad when he was a kid watching television. Every time something came on the box his Dad didn't like he would shout out, "Fuck you, Fritz! Fuck you, Fritz!"

He then asked if could he write 'Fuck you, Fritz' as a message in my book. I agreed and this look of sheer joy came over his face. He signed the book, thanked me and that was it.

That is a great story!

PopTodd beat me to saying it....that is a great story!!! :) I've never read any Ellroy. Where should I begin?

I'm currently neglecting the very fine Jefferson bio, "American Sphinx", because my son loaned me a collection of Dave Barry columns, a book called "I'll Mature When I'm Dead". What can I say? Barry is funny! Jefferson, not so much.

I've never read any Ellroy. Where should I begin?

I think the best place to start is with the four books known collectively as the L.A. Quartet:

The Black Dahlia

The Big Nowhere

L.A. Confidential

White Jazz

It's been a long time since I've read them but from memory, it's best to read them in order. I seem to remember each book was better than the one that came before it.

White Jazz is sublime.

I think the best place to start is with the four books known collectively as the L.A. Quartet:

The Black Dahlia

The Big Nowhere

L.A. Confidential

White Jazz

It's been a long time since I've read them but from memory, it's best to read them in order. I seem to remember each book was better than the one that came before it.

White Jazz is sublime.

Thank you! Straight onto the reading list!

I never read nonfiction, but the book club i'm in chose this:

9781400052172.jpg

This looks fascinating! How is the writing?

That's a great story!

I'd definitely recommend American Tabloid as a starting place - amazing story arc and characters.

What's this like? A friend sent it to me but I haven't ventured into it yet.

It's a really nice story, well written - I found it a bit glossy in places, but a thoroughly enjoyable romp!

I really loved City of Thieves so I picked this one up. It's good. It's a simpler story and a fairly quick read.

Have you read his short story collection (When the Nines Roll Over (and Other Stories))?

Let us know how you like him!

Just finished reading City of Thieves and really enjoyed it. Great story about a terrible time. It also came across as incredibly well researched.

Looking forward to starting The 25th Hour.

So, I finished A Christmas Carol.

And I have to comment that the final chapter, where Scrooge is redeemed, is one of the most heart-lifting, joyous things that I have ever read. Yes, seeing it on film so many times, it always came off as cheezy and stilted. But, reading the original text, where you can actually get inside Scrooge's head as he runs about, wishing everyone Merry Christmas, and making amends... it adds a whole new dimension to that hyper-sentimentality, a human component that is maybe just too hard to, nay, impossible to express without the actual text.

A really, surprisingly wonderful read. I did not expect to enjoy it nearly so much.

On to more Dickens.

Oliver Twist or A Tale of Two Cities?

On to more Dickens.

Oliver Twist or A Tale of Two Cities?

You can't go wrong with either one. You might have to just flip a coin. One of my favorites is Great Expectations. It's interesting to pair the novel with the movie with Gwynnth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke. The movie is good but not great, but is an interesting modern take on the story that gives something to think about in terms of themes in the book.

You can't go wrong with either one. You might have to just flip a coin. One of my favorites is Great Expectations. It's interesting to pair the novel with the movie with Gwynnth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke. The movie is good but not great, but is an interesting modern take on the story that gives something to think about in terms of themes in the book.

I''m now thoroughly into Oliver Twist.

Yeah.

Digging this one, too.

I'll throw Great Expectations into the queue, too. Hell, before the end of it all, I'll be speaking with all sorts of extraneous language which, being that the style of the time and of the particular author to which I have committed for these novels herin discussed, it shall most-likely be taken into my affect; as I am a man of weak will and easily influenced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...