Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to finish "Me Talk Pretty One Day" I really enjoyed it. Sedaris is a very interesting character for sure

One of my favorite writers. Hysterically funny and shockingly poignant at the same time.

51RDfuIApZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This looks like a history I'd love to read!

Ushered in the new year last night with a single malt scotch and finally started this one, loving it so far:

51qs7uSAHQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And I will have to add this to my reading list as well! I get the best reading recommendations here! :yes

One of my favorite writers. Hysterically funny and shockingly poignant at the same time.

Has anyone else here seen Sedaris' Santaland Diaries performed live? Hysterical. The performance I saw didn't star Sedaris himself, but the guy who played the department store elf perfectly nailed Sedaris' humor and style.

Amy Sedaris is hilarious as well. This book is funny and contains surprisingly practical recipies and crafts. I tried out the fried zuccini recipe and it was really good!

9780446696777.jpg

Has anyone else here seen Sedaris' Santaland Diaries performed live? Hysterical. The performance I saw didn't star Sedaris himself, but the guy who played the department store elf perfectly nailed Sedaris' humor and style.

Just saw it this year and it was very funny. A nice change from the usual Christmas carol or Nutcracker.

therealfrankzappabook_SML.jpg

This being Frank, this isn't some boring straightforward biography thankfully.

Ushered in the new year last night with a single malt scotch and finally started this one, loving it so far:

51qs7uSAHQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back in the day, Analogman's copy of this was passed around through various methods and autographed by all that read it. I think it got sucked into the rock & roll ether several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol So how is this?

I really, really liked it. It describes the last day at a Red Lobster in a New England small town, from the point of view of the manager. The novel (novella, really) is a snapshot of a day, in which nothing and everything happens. I had the unfortunate experience of working at an Olive Garden in college (sister restaurant to Red Lobster) and this book seemed really real, as far as getting inside the head of a chain restaurant manager. Not someone you normally think about, so that made it a more compelling read for me.

• 2 weeks later...